Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #26
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I can answer this one....based on fairly recent experience standing on the shoulder if I-95, in April of this year

very similar MH with the overloaded rear axle
OEM michelins are date code 0113 and 0213
Yes, getting close to the age of concern, but not quite there....

I don't know off hand the mileage on them, but suffice it to say they barely have the mold marks worn off them

I have religiously kept up the tire pressures based on weight + a healthy margin, and use a TPMS

Anyway
Outer tire curb side went boom, caused a fair bit of body damage.....and it could have easily been much worse. i was lucky on that front.

Yes, generally RV and boat tires age out before wearing out since they are typically low mileage use items....
but when they are overloaded things change a bit.

In my case I'd bet an aggravating variable on top of load is the few curb kisses that tire had seen through its short life. Didn't happen much or often, but I'll admit to turning a bit too close a time or two. Nothing more than slow speed kisses a couple times, nothing severe.

Also, mine has a rear bed slide on that side of the coach, likely making that side even heavier....
Regardless, in my case the tires are clearly a weak link

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum