Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Beacher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
.... He also said that you do not need to put it all the way down if the ladder is not an issue. So you can drive with the bunk partially down like the ACE.
That's a salesman for you!!

The biggest warranty repair that I had performed on my shiny new 2014 Hurricane 34E was the overhead bunk.

While breaking camp and getting ready to come home from camping in the Eastern High Sierras of central California, my right side Schwintek slide assembly decided to "pop" and spit out some gear parts.

I wish I had some cell phone/data reception at 9764ft above sea level on that Sunday morning so that I could have contacted a Thor dealership or the Thor Concierge!

I ended up using my shoulder while standing atop a strategically placed cinder block, while my daughter pressed the up button, and my son pushed in the clevis pin. It worked, but my neck and shoulder were in pain three days later!

McMahons RV in Westminster, CA, (now closed due to bankruptcy), replaced the motors, spur gears, and slide rails on both sides. It took them over six weeks to coordinate the authorizations, order the correct parts, confirm the installation with the one technician who knew how to perform the work, and then to call me. I then took in my coach at 7a.m. and left it overnight until 4p.m. the next day. They said it took about 6 hours of labor, and three technicians, (one to work, two to lift).

When I picked it up, I was specifically instructed to NEVER stop mid-way up or down! They said it would mess up the motor synchronization, and perhaps lead to jamming, and another shattered spur gear and chewed-up slide rail.

Since then, I have used the bunk a dozen or so times, heeding the stern warning of the service writer, (Eric Moreno). It works great now!

From the Schwintek Bunk Lift Owner's Manual:

IMPORTANT!!

NOTE: Bed is not to be occupied, loaded or used for cargo storage in any way while being raised or lowered. The dinette/bed setting is not to be occupied during raising or lowering the bunk bed.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum