Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #36
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Blw2, can I ask which side you had the blown tire? From what I heard the one that usually goes is the back on the passenger side. I guess its from the heat of the exhaust running right there.
Sure.
It was the passenger/curb side outer tire
The tail pipe is on that side but i really don't think that's a significant variable.
It throws off some heat sure, but it's behind the tire and so if anything might be closer to the inner one before it makes the turn out to the side....
I run TPMS and have never noticed a consistently higher temperature on that side.

As a side note....The tail pipe was a big part of the damage from the blowout through. the tread wrapped it and bent it all up under the coach. that was a pain in the neck to fix...literally and figuratively. I nearly had to take it to a muffler shop but in the end was able to get it straightened out enough. I did have to order a new hanger too.
Regardless, as I was wrestling with that, I was thanking the good Lord that it wasn't on the other side, where the sewer pipes are!

My read on it, in what I think is order of importance
1) That corner is very likely heavier than the other side(I hope to get corner weights one day to confirm)
2) axle is slightly overloaded
3) As I mentioned before, I can remember maybe 3 or 4 times when I turned too short and ran up on a curb (cursing myself in the process, that's how I know it wasn't often or very hard) Still, that has to be hard on a tire I would think. Likely wouldn't matter so much on a lightly loaded car tire, but on a tire already overloaded.... Also related to this, it seems that on the shoulder side of roads, there are often more little pot holes and things that wouldn't seem like much but might serve to fatigue an overloaded tire....
4) storage conditions. I don't have the most ideal storage conditions for a tire, parking in an unpaved storage lot. I bought covers for my new tires to at least keep some of the UV off....
5) age, they were getting close to that magic age range of "5 to x years"

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum