Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickwit View Post
We purchased 2016 Ace 29.4 used from private seller. During inspection we were aware the steering bushing and rod was torn and it was no rush to take it in. We did a few trips and noticed coach alignment was off and it was kinda white knuckles driving it and always oversteering (overcorrecting at time) and it veered to the left side.

Took to only Ford Dealership that would work on a motorhome 1.5 hrs away and they replaced steering rod/bushing all under warranty. I was suppose to be charged $200 for alignment and it doesn't come under warranty. Fine. Later they call and saying job will be $800 because they are having all kinds of issues with alignment and this steering damper needs to be fixed. It's junk so they will remove it. It the price is higher because it's aftermarket and it's "junk" per customer service. I ask, is this like steering stabilizer because I was thinking maybe I should buy T-safe or roadmaster stabilizer and that might help? But was told no, that will just "make the problem worst". I didn't fully understand what they meant but I trusted them and said go ahead. Two days later I pick up the unit and they show me where this item was installed and how they spent hours trying do alignment and realized the damper was causing issues and they figured, "let's just take it off" and now it drives perfect. They do this all the time. Etc. etc. Tried ask same questions, what about getting T-safe or roadmaster stabilizer, should I get something like that or maybe that's what I need? They shrugged and said sounds like something you could put on yourself, it just bolts on. I can do my own research and if I need help, I can contact them to help me. OK.

I get home and to my horror, wrapped inside the box of the "junk" item they removed is a Safe-T Plus bar. Ugh. Now I'm frustrated that I paid $800 which they treated the problem but didn't really fix it. Yes, the unit drives much straighter and easier, I can drive with 2 fingers. However, I think I can detect how sensitive the steering wheel. It feels more touchy but not more stable (maybe that's the way to put it?) I could see how one may in panic situation over-correct and slide the rv off the road. Has anyone encountered something like this?

My frustration is that if I had known what the "junk" Part was I would have never authorized it as it appears from reading notes on it, it requires multiple test drives and adjusting the T-safe. The coach was aligned but the T-safe was not aligned or maybe not installed properly. I spoke to T-Safe Plus and they said it should take 10 minutes to remove (1 hour tops) but most of the labor is in installing it, not remove it. So what did I pay for? I've called Ford Dealership and asked for manager and he hasn't called me back yet. Note, their hourly rate posted is $170 per hour so much more expensive in Silicon Valley area

Anyone encounter situation like this? Any suggestions/tips?

I should also note, there is a Steer Stabilizer in the rear which I knew about (but never saw the T-safe in the front) and I have not done the CHF yet. So far it drives well but I've only driven in easy traffic since I picked it up)
Sorry, don't for a minute believe that a Saf-T-Plus "will just make ....it worse..." Sounds like the dealership isn't too aware of the chassis and steering issues. Our Ford dealers around this area of SoCal cannot do alignments and basically won't work on the bigger chassis including our E450 with the Axis 24.1. Saf-T-Plus on our chassis did wonders for the ride.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum