Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Thor Motorhome
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #17
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I should have driven the 800 miles and gotten a better deal - the service sucks anyway. Next time I will.
Based on what I read about RV problems, RV service and google reviews of the Thor dealers close (close being 90 miles), and who do not do any real PDI with the customer, I opted to buy 400 miles away at MHSRV. I also considered Reliable in Springfield, because they also have an orientation lot and encourage you to stay a day or two on site to get manufacturing issues identified and fixed.

While I have no doubt I could have gotten a better price from the local dealer than the initial exchange, the fact is they were $15k higher. So, let's say I got them down to only $10k or even $5k (I doubt, but maybe) higher, that pays for a lot of out of pocket fixes.

My hot water heater isn't working on gas. I trouble shot it enough to figure it's either the circuit board or igniter. I bought both from Amazon for $160. While I hope to then get the dealership, Thor or Atwood to send me a replacement for whichever it turns out to be, even if i can't, I'm money ahead in multiple ways.

First, if I have to take it to a dealer to be troubleshot and then repaired, I'm looking at a round trip of 180 miles or about $60 in gas. That assumes they commit to working on it while I'm there. If not, I tow the jeep and will also have a round trip on the Jeep, so that's another $30.

So, gas alone, not to mention time, aggravation and possibly being without the RV for weeks, is likely to be $90 give or take. So, that leaves $70 extra out of pocket, which comes out of the $5-10k savings I got from going out of town.

My plan is to deal with small stuff myself or via a mobile tech, and then for bigger things that I can live without fixing immediately, but should be dealt with (like the inverter being wired wrong, drivers seat being messed up, seals below bedroom slide messed up and think slide will have to come out to fix), I'll likely just drive up to Wakarusa (Thor service center) with a list of items, likely in the spring.

I also can't say enough, and I know it's still early, about the salesman I worked with at MHSRV. He said several times, if you have a problem, call me, even if you forgot how to do something, in many cases, I can just walk you through it, and if not, I'll get you on the phone with a tech to troubleshoot it remotely. Last night, I brought it to the house to prepare for a trip and one of the strips of slide weather stripping slipped to the ground. sent him a text and he told me something to try to fix it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum