Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
tmikea

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
2018 Thor Chateau 24FS loses both rear "hubcaps".

2018 Thor Chateau 24FS loses both rear "hubcaps". I purchased a 2018 Thor Chateau 24FS from Camping World Chattanooga on 9-27-2017. This was a used unit with 4080 miles on it. This model of RV is built on a Mercedes-Benz Springer 3500 Chassis. In my case the RV as stated above is a 2018 model and the Chassis was made in Dec 2016 and is a 2016 Chassis.
-
I drove the unit home (93 miles) and when I got home I noticed that the left-rear “hubcap” (really 3 part numbers shown below) was missing.
-
The next day, I emailed my salesman and asked if there was anything he could do. He said “I don't know how I could've missed a hubcap during the many walk around a in that RV, when it seems so obvious when missing. I wonder if it fell off while OTR. I'm sorry, but there isn't much I can do about it.”
-
I researched with Giant Recreation World in FL and here’s the cost of the parts:
0316790 REAR WHEEL COVER FOR 16" SPRINTER CHASSIS FASTLINER $217.28
0170899 REAR HUB COVER ONLY, WHEEL COVER,16" SPRINTER CHASSIS FASTLINER SET, APRIL 2012 & UP $91.99
CENTER STICK ON EMBLEM $1.75
Shipping $30.00
Total for one wheel: $341.02
-
So, I drove 90 miles and it cost me $341.02 in repairs after driving it off the lot. Oh well, I did get a good price because it was used….
-
I ordered the parts.
-
I also made sure that the Rear RIGHT “hubcap” was secure. I pounded on its rim until my hands hypothenar was sore….just to make sure that the hubcap was secure.
-
Well on 10/5/17 I drove the RV to Hiawassee, GA and back (220 miles)…and when we got home, guess what was missing? The RIGHT REAR “hubcap” (the three part numbers shown above).
-
In addition to TWO missing “hubcaps” (again the 3 parts noted), the plastic trim around both rear wheel wells show damage from where the “hubcaps” came off and damaged the trim.
-
And I know you are thinking this: NO, I didn't hear anything abnormally loud that would have documented the flying "hubcap".
-
In addition to being royally annoyed by the loss of two hubcaps, damage to the wheel well trim on both rear wheels, I could be out $700.
-
But do I want to spend $700 just to lose the new hubcaps on my next RV outing?
-
AND ONE MORE THING: Those three parts combined flying off of an RV going 60 miles an hour….Could cause serious damage to another vehicle or God forbid a motorcycle rider or pedestrian.
-
Based on the response I get on Monday from Thor Support, I may need to file a safety complaint with https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I’ll keep you all posted.
-
Attached are pictures of the left rear missing "hubcap" and the right wheel "hubcap" before it flew away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	7276  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum