Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
timp410

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I did talk to the company that makes the tail lights. I suggested they might try a rubber such as neoprene rather than the foam they use for the gasket. One of the managers told me it's most likely due to the coach not having a flat area that is causing the problem.

I disagree with that. While an uneven surface on the coach could be a contributing factor, I think it's a combination of a poor design of the tail light, coupled with the wrong gasket material that is the culprit.

They then told me to silicone the back-side of the gasket to the RV (but not to th front side that attaches to the light), so that it makes a seal to the coach... but then I think you would end up with a leaky gasket that is hard to remove.

Given that these tail lights are used on at least 4 different brands of RVs, and on many different models, I can't believe this is not potentially a huge issue.

I'll bet there are a lot more coaches out there with leaking tail lights but the owners are not (yet) aware of it.

Just seems to me another example of the lack of quality that plagues the entire RV industry.
I concur on the gasket, the first thing that came to my mind was why is the gasket made out of foam. Water will eventually soak though foam...imho. Silicone may work but what happens when you need to replace a bulb. I would think having to reseal the light assembly would become a problem. The foam material they use seems a little fragile. The foam looks like it would tear apart if the silicone needed to be removed or cleaned up. Like you stated, its hard to believe this issue hasn't caused more problems.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.