Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Dead batteries
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Its not uncommon for the batteries to fully discharge during winter storage, especially if there is some parasitic loads on them. Turning the contactor OFF does not necessarily mean you have removed all loads, especially if you had the dealer install any aftermarket goodies.

Typically, when in storage, you should keep the RV plugged in over the winter if you can. I plug my coach in 2 weeks then unplug 2 weeks, just to keep the batteries charged.

If you have no source of shorepower over the winter, you should start the generator once a month and let it run to charge the batteries. Depending on the coach, you may also be able to charge the coach batteries with the engine alternator.

You should be running the engine and generator once a month or so anyway during storage.

I have really never heard of acid coming out the top of a battery. If it is cracked, it will run out the sides, but not the top.

If a battery is fully charged, the concentration of sulfuric acid suspended in the electrolyte will be the greatest. The concentration of sulfuric acid prevents the battery from freezing.

However, as the battery disharges, that acid migrates to the battery's plates, and the electrolyte almost becomes water. At that concentration, the electolyte can freeze and become ice, and burst the battery.

So if you store a battery in the winter and if temps get to freezing, and you allow the battery to become fully discharged, it can potentially burst.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.