Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #18
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
in our recent journey to and thru Alaska, we encountered this very aggravating 'traffic' issue south of Anchorage. We had left the city and traveled down the Seward Highway to the port of Whittier, thru the Whittier Tunnel(you must try this 2 1/2 mile r/r track tunnel!), and then back out to the Byron Glacier, where we climbed and walked on top of it(beautiful!).... BUT

when heading back that day to Anchorage(this is the ONLY road between the main body of Alaska and the lower section), we encountered the dreaded 'stoppage' traffic jam. This two lane road was RED the majority of the route. Supposedly an accident had happened somewhere ahead.

As we had already had a full day, though fun, I didn't relish 'sitting' in traffic, moving only a few feet at the time, in a 13 ton vehicle, for several hours - so we pulled off on one of the many areas along the road for viewing, and took a several hour 'nap'.

Even when we got ready to leave several hours later, the traffic was still heavy, but I wanted us to get back to Anchorage's Cabelas for the overnight. While the traffic was still slow, it at least moved along enough that it was bearable. We finally made it back before dark(there's no 'dark' in summer in Alaska!), around 9pm. This was a long day.

Even though we had seen no 'signs' of an accident, I was interested to find out what happened. I turned on the TV and watched the local late news, and there it WAS... an article on what had happened today on the Seward Highway.
Someone had parked on the southbound side of the road and had taken some jugs across the highway to a locally known natural 'fresh water' outlet. Must be some 'good' water. On the way back across the busy highway, someone coming south, who had not seen the fellow running back across, had suddenly tried to avoid him, and collided with HIS parked vehicle, unfortunately loosing their life in the process.

Ambulances, fire trucks, and a life flight had been dispatched and arrived at the seen for several hours, backing up Northbound traffic. This is the ONLY road between the lower part of Alaska into the main interior(did I already say that?!).

Aggravating, for sure. Sad, also. But something that sears into your memory, maybe not for a good reason, but something and somewhere I'll never forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska-whittier-anton-anderson-memorial-tunnel-BGGDEA.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	7848  
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum