Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
My 2 cents worth. A good friend has owned and operated his own RV service business for over 25 years. No sales. Just parts & service. According to him he sees shoddy workmanship in every brand out there. High end, low end. Sure, one may have a Samsung TV, another an Axxera. But as far as the install of windows, doors, ac’s, ladders, caulked seams, leaks, plumbing errors, they all have them. All the people that brag about meeting Bob Tiffin in person while their coach was in Alabama didn’t tell you they were there due to a problem. Any RV product is only as good as the assembly crew that put it together. The turnover is horrendous. The field service guys are at the factories doing the training. Yep, a Newmar may be better insulated than my entry level Thor, but the same size coach, on the same chassis, with the same toilet, holding tanks, generator, etc. costs twice as much. So I still say, find the floor plan that fits what you plan to use it for, and enjoy customizing it along the way. Happy travels, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all.
And that is a great summary

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope you folks realize that Tiffin is in Alabama: not Indiana...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
My 2 cents worth. A good friend has owned and operated his own RV service business for over 25 years. No sales. Just parts & service. According to him he sees shoddy workmanship in every brand out there. High end, low end. Sure, one may have a Samsung TV, another an Axxera. But as far as the install of windows, doors, ac’s, ladders, caulked seams, leaks, plumbing errors, they all have them. All the people that brag about meeting Bob Tiffin in person while their coach was in Alabama didn’t tell you they were there due to a problem. Any RV product is only as good as the assembly crew that put it together. The turnover is horrendous. The field service guys are at the factories doing the training. Yep, a Newmar may be better insulated than my entry level Thor, but the same size coach, on the same chassis, with the same toilet, holding tanks, generator, etc. costs twice as much. So I still say, find the floor plan that fits what you plan to use it for, and enjoy customizing it along the way. Happy travels, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all.

My independent repair shop say exactly the same thing. He also told me that Thor is among the easiest for him to work with on warranty and parts issues. I’m a SOB so he’d have no reason to tell me this if it wasn’t his experience. (He also said the Winnebago was the worst by a big margin). He only had my coach overnight once and that was mostly a convenience to me. I’ve been advising folks for years not to use a dealer if they can find an independent shop.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #44

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My independent repair shop say exactly the same thing. He also told me that Thor is among the easiest for him to work with on warranty and parts issues. I’m a SOB so he’d have no reason to tell me this if it wasn’t his experience. (He also said the Winnebago was the worst by a big margin). He only had my coach overnight once and that was mostly a convenience to me. I’ve been advising folks for years not to use a dealer if they can find an independent shop.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #45

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We had a few SOB items on the Tuscany such as the Aqua-Hot Coil failing in a few months. While in a major repair facility servicing the high end coaches we were the only Thor Product in the bays and waiting outside.

They all have issues, look around you where is the competent willing work force to draw from?

Thor turns out more entry level and lower cost units than any other company which allows many to enter the RV lifestyle. This isn't all bad as many would like to make it seem
Old 12-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #46

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
So now we'll have to be cautious when responding to a thread that may be in the "Tiffin MC" subsection but shows up in the "recent discussions" section.
BTDT! Got the scolding!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #47

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

I guess that statement is relative and time constrained? I have had my Winnebago for over 1 year now; and although I had option of a few local repair shops in line for when I thought I would buy a Thor, I have never had to use them. I figure the good experience I had with Winnebago Dealer & Winnebago with a few warranty items may have been even better without Covid 19; which consumed 75% of my warranty period.

The real story will be where do I go from here when it is no longer under Winnebago's warranty? The fact that it is a Winnebago becomes moot because nothing (other than roof) is under warranty to even question Winnebago about? If people are having that many issues within 1st year, I tend to point to quality of PDI before buying.

FWIW it may actually come down to service rates? i.e. $235/hr vs $140/hr? I would think that holds true for any RV Mfg because I have never seen service rates RV brand specific (just dealership)?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
So now we'll have to be cautious when responding to a thread that may be in the "Tiffin MC" subsection but shows up in the "recent discussions" section.
BTDT! Got the scolding!
You needn't worry: Tiffin owners are friendly and outgoing.
But I am watching to see whn "Tiffin" shows up in the RV Brand Box, and when we get our own Tiffin link for discussions...
Old 12-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #49

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Just went through the Tiffin board, from when I owned the Tiffin Bus. Not finding anyone that is happy with Thor's acquisition of Tiffin. Lots of very negative comments there. Interestingly the Red Bay Tiffin service facility is apparently not part of the deal. What that might mean or lead to is anyone's guess at this point.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Just went through the Tiffin board, from when I owned the Tiffin Bus. Not finding anyone that is happy with Thor's acquisition of Tiffin. Lots of very negative comments there. Interestingly the Red Bay Tiffin service facility is apparently not part of the deal. What that might mean or lead to is anyone's guess at this point.
But Winfield is? Hmmmmm....
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1608659495
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1215180903d_resized.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	27774  
Old 12-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #51

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Maybe, after the no compete period they will rebuild the company. It does make me wonder why they sold out to Thor. Were they in financial difficulty? Did they want to shift there warranty burden to someone else? Was it a hostile takeover? There must be more to the story.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There was some discussion of financial difficulties...
But it's all conjecture
Old 12-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #53

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Maybe, after the no compete period they will rebuild the company. It does make me wonder why they sold out to Thor. Were they in financial difficulty? Did they want to shift there warranty burden to someone else? Was it a hostile takeover? There must be more to the story.
Probably the same thing as happens with other closely held companies. Dads too old. Gifts stock to the kids. Kids see lump sum value and have no want or desire to “work” and feel pride about something. They sell out. Take their lump sum. Go to Costa Rica and live on umbrella drinks till the money runs out. I feel Tiffin will actually improve some of Thor’s quality problems.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:19 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It has been reported that the key family members will remain in their current positions...
Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #55
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Probably the same thing as happens with other closely held companies. Dads too old. Gifts stock to the kids. Kids see lump sum value and have no want or desire to “work” and feel pride about something. They sell out. Take their lump sum. Go to Costa Rica and live on umbrella drinks till the money runs out. I feel Tiffin will actually improve some of Thor’s quality problems.
Actually Tiffin needed money for innovation, capital for facilities and access to capital to stay in business.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:16 AM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I heard rumblings to that effect.
Looking at the 2021 models (and their price increases): it's easy to see the cost-cutting...
Old 12-23-2020, 02:52 AM   #57

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It has been reported that the key family members will remain in their current positions...
That's how its said to work.
From experience, they're paid a large wage for a certain number of years as long as they shut-hell-up and check in at company picnics.

It doesn't take much reading between the lines of tiffen being overextended and bad choices left them in a bad place.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It might have been the result of their acquisition of Vanleigh...
Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #59

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Dads too old. Gifts stock to the kids. Kids see lump sum value and have no want or desire to “work” and feel pride about something. They sell out. Take their lump sum.
IME, that's not how that works ... The kids realize they don't have the business acumen, interest, or passion needed to run the business. Rather than upend their lives, they sell it to someone that does. I'm not speaking of Tiffin in particular, but generally, just as you did. e.g. One kid goes into engineering and already has a successful career in that field, another goes into the arts and has a successful career in that field, etc. After all, by the time their dad passes away, the kids are in their 40s or 50s and have well established lives of their own. It's usually not a money grab for the easy life.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... and it's been a family-run business since the start. The kids grew up in the business...