Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds, 28z
State: Georgia
THOR #4002
Is it safe to start generator while on Shore power?

We have a 2016 Thor Four Winds 28z and I am wanting to start the generator for "exercise" but I am currently plugged into shore power. I would like to know if I need to disconnect before turning the genny on.

I figure the Automatic Transfer Relay should be able to handle "what to do", but I want to be sure and I tend to believe there are others out there with this question looking for a PRO answer that they can trust before cranking it up.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Doesn't matter. You can start it up if you are plugged into shore power or not. BUT, if you are starting it up to exercise it (as recommended - once a month), unplug it and turn on the air to put a load on the generator.

Another excellent idea is to change the oil and filter after the first 10 hours.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds, 28z
State: Georgia
THOR #4002
Thanks for this information!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #4
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Doesn't matter. You can start it up if you are plugged into shore power or not. BUT, if you are starting it up to exercise it (as recommended - once a month), unplug it and turn on the air to put a load on the generator.

Another excellent idea is to change the oil and filter after the first 10 hours.
Is there a filter on this generator? I changed the oil did realize there is also a filter.

Kev
Old 10-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When starting the generator you can keep shore power plugged in because the ATS will automatically switch the power over to the generator. It is advised that you disconnect from shore power because the transfer from shore to generator could cause some arching and premature wear on the ATS contacts if both are under power during the transfer to shore and back again when the generator is turned off.

When I exercise the generator I simply kill the breaker to my 50 Amp receptacle and leave the cord plugged in. Once the generator is shut down I then turn the 50 amp breaker back on.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post

Great point on placing a load on generator to exercise it. In winter or cold/cooler weather the air conditioner may not put much load on generator, so I used a portable 1500-watt heater instead. I don't like running AC when it's too cold anyway.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Great point on placing a load on generator to exercise it. In winter or cold/cooler weather the air conditioner may not put much load on generator, so I used a portable 1500-watt heater instead. I don't like running AC when it's too cold anyway.
This is exactly what I do as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Is there a filter on this generator? I changed the oil did realize there is also a filter.

Kev
No filter.