Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #8241
12V Issues

I have a 2017 Thor Venetian MH. We had leveling issues and a Latched Out Warning on our last trip. I replaced the Chassis batteries when we got home with appropriate Interstate Batteries. While in the driveway I put the levelers down and the slides out to clean the coach. Now the levelers will not go all the way down or all the way up. And I get the Latched Out Warning every time I try to use them. The slides won’t move and the awnings won’t move either. 12V problem in the system, batteries, leveling system? Any ideas on solutions? Only thing Thor support could suggest was a battery issue even though I tested them out well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	14208

Old 11-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while you stated that you changed the CHASSIS batteries, those batteries do not control these systems, the HOUSE batteries do. It sounds like either you may have low battery levels for the HOUSE, even though it looks as though your screen is showing full... also, what do you mean by 'Latched Out'? I'm not aware of any type of warning like that.

When you say the legs and slides no longer work, do you mean they 'attempt' to move, but then don't, or the switch simply does nothing when you press it?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

THOR #8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
while you stated that you changed the CHASSIS batteries, those batteries do not control these systems, the HOUSE batteries do. It sounds like either you may have low battery levels for the HOUSE, even though it looks as though your screen is showing full... also, what do you mean by 'Latched Out'? I'm not aware of any type of warning like that.

When you say the legs and slides no longer work, do you mean they 'attempt' to move, but then don't, or the switch simply does nothing when you press it?

The house batteries were recently changed to AGM’s also. The levelers when I move them up go up about 8” off the ground and when I put them down they stop 2” from the ground. They have plenty of fluid too. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	14210
Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #4

THOR #4735
sounds like the Leveling system needs to be 'reset', as it is working, just not the way expected. your owner manuals may describe how to do that. It sounds like it's thinking that the legs are already 'all the way down' and the 'latched out' may be an indication that they have reached their maximum distance(?)... or low battery.
Can you try pushing all 4 ARROWS at the same time to see what happens?

but another question is: why on such a young coach would you have changed the batteries?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

THOR #8241
I have to push all four arrows to reset it after a Latched Out Warning. Batteries, good question. Seems like it is a Transfer Switch problem that the dealer says they cannot duplicate when I take it in. I put the refrigerator on with the AGS due to kick in when the batteries dropped. The AGS didn’t kick in and the batteries did a severe drain.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #11767
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsjon View Post
I have to push all four arrows to reset it after a Latched Out Warning. Batteries, good question. Seems like it is a Transfer Switch problem that the dealer says they cannot duplicate when I take it in. I put the refrigerator on with the AGS due to kick in when the batteries dropped. The AGS didn’t kick in and the batteries did a severe drain.

Hi wilsjon
I had a latched error also. In my case pushing the 4 diamondshaped buttons did not help.
I Pulled out all the connections at the control box of the system. Waited 10 seconds and put them all in again.
With that I did a kind of “hard reset”.And it worked.
Perhaps that can solve your problem also.
II have a Damon Astoria with the same leveling system.
Greetings from Karel
Holland.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #7

THOR #4735
like the typical computer 'reset', when things go awry - a reboot is warranted... good advice.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
My opinion

On my thor Tuscany the levelers or the slides wont work very well without the extra power from the alternator and my book says to leave engine running when using the levelers or slides
Old 11-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #9

THOR #8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Hi wilsjon
I had a latched error also. In my case pushing the 4 diamondshaped buttons did not help.
I Pulled out all the connections at the control box of the system. Waited 10 seconds and put them all in again.
With that I did a kind of “hard reset”.And it worked.
Perhaps that can solve your problem also.
II have a Damon Astoria with the same leveling system.
Greetings from Karel
Holland.

Thanks for the reply. I am having a hard time finding the Control Box for the system. What compartment did you find it in?
Old 11-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #11767
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am having a hard time finding the Control Box for the system. What compartment did you find it in?

Hi
In my Astoria it is in the First compartment passengersside.
It is mounted at the ceiling of that compartment.
Probably in your case to, so it is “out of the way”.
Good Luck.!!
Karel
Old 11-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
On my thor Tuscany the levelers or the slides wont work very well without the extra power from the alternator and my book says to leave engine running when using the levelers or slides
Levelers take a lot of current to operate, Always a good idea to have the engine running, or be plugged into shore power when you level. I level before I shut off the engine, then open the slides, once I am plugged into shore power.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #12

THOR #8241
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	14221I am having an ongoing Transfer Switch Fault. My guess is that is what is causing me to have a lack of power to my levelers/slides.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #13

THOR #8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Hi
In my Astoria it is in the First compartment passengersside.
It is mounted at the ceiling of that compartment.
Probably in your case to, so it is “out of the way”.
Good Luck.!!
Karel

I found it! Unplugged everything and then plugged it in a few days later. We were able to get the slides in. Yeah!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

THOR #4735
glad you had success...

I will add a comment, though, as our Palazzo has no issue using the LCI Leveling system, regardless of whether the engine is running, or just has the ignition 'ON'... but, with the 'AUX' (battery boost) switch, you can also use that if you've already shut down the engine since it pulls in the Chassis batteries to help the House batteries with the Levelers.

The AUX switch is really a great way to tie all the batteries together ANYTIME you need additional 12v power for anything... levelers, slides, engine cranking, generator cranking, etc.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #15

THOR #4735
Exclamation ATS and 12v systems?

Quote:
Attachment 14221I am having an ongoing Transfer Switch Fault. My guess is that is what is causing me to have a lack of power to my levelers/slides.
While I can't promise that your ATS has no 'eventual' tie-in with your Levelers or Slides, it's safe to say that the 120v Shore power or Generator power are generally for 120v outlets and appliances... not hydraulics or 12v items.

If you have an ATS 'fault', then it would be affecting all of your outlets, appliances, air conditioners, etc.

yes, the external 120v power thru the ATS also flows to the CHARGER, which ultimately helps charge the batteries, just as the Alternator would while driving, but your 12v Leveler hydraulics and Slides are operated with power from the battery bank, the House batteries.
Generally, though, fuses are also inline to protect high amperage during the process, which is why my 100amp BUSS Breaker in the battery bay tripped one time, while out in South Dakota, when I ran down the Levelers. Why it tripped, who knows, and it's never happened again in over four years since, but when it happens, it becomes a mystery, aggravation, and ultimately a great learning experience!
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 AM   #16

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
If it was a tripped breaker, then not any movement will happen, as for the open created by the breaker.
We have a class C Thor Outlaw 29H.
There are three circuit breakers near the house batteries under the step.
One is for the leveling system pump motor.
One is for the power awning.
The last one for the slide out as it is not hydraulic actuated.

I must note, they were hard to find, being mounted on the outside of the battery carrier.
You had to lie on your back and get under there to find them.
I re-routed them into the battery compartment, easier to see, just lift the step door.
At the time we found one of the two that load tested bad, so we replaced it.