Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
Automatic Leveling

I have a Thor Hurricane 34J. When using the LCI hydrualic leveling system in auto it always seem to get it level but it almost always raises some wheels off the ground, even on fairly flat sites.
I noticed that it will bring down all 4 jacks and when you think it is done it will cycle thru raising all the jacks a second time. The end result not only takes some wheels off the ground but the whole RV is very very high.
I have since brought a level into the RV and performed leveling manually. I always get it level without any wheels leaving the ground unless the side has a grade to it.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Almost all of the units need to be recalibrated to get them to find level quicker

Best way is just to manual level and you will be closer to the ground and a lot faster
Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

THOR #6903
Instructions are on line if you choose to recalibrate
Old 08-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #4

THOR #15052
I have recalibrated since it previous calibration was not level
Old 08-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I don’t have LCI, but dealers and others tell me that auto-level systems in general are not perfect.
So there’s nothing you are missing when you level manually. In fact, it may now be much simpler for you.

I opted for aftermarket HWH on my Vegas. That is, OEM hydraulic levelers are not available on Vegas/Axis.
I chose a simple-minded & budget friendly joystick control for manual leveling (vs the more expensive auto-leveling system).
The dealer and manufacturer talked me out of spending extra $$$ on the auto-leveling system because of the reasons you stated above.

All of that said...many on this Forum have LCI, HWH, and other brands of hydraulic leveling systems and speak favorably about their auto-leveling feature.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1566670237
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 02.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	19803  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #14384
Yep. And I just ignore it. Autolevel works well enough.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree! As long as I don't have to strap myself into bed: I'm good to go!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
My wife is vertically challenged at 4’11”. The auto level feature usually puts the ACE too high for her to comfortably get up the step. Just works better for us to manual level the MH.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've used the MANUAL mode exclusively since early on after I also realized that the AUTO leveling feature tends to ultimately set the coach up way higher than it really needs to, and jerks and jumps as it's doing it's job...

I took a look at 'how' the system works, and found that each 'pair' of jacks operate in tandem, never one by itself, and never all four at the same time, when leveling. So, when you go into MANUAL mode, you must think about how each SIDE, or each END, will be impacted as you press either of the FOUR buttons - Front, Pass side, Rear, Driver side.

For instance, with all jacks in the UP position, and you press the FRONT arrow button, both FRONT jacks will start to move Down, until they touch the ground, which is when you'll 'feel' the coach move slightly. If you continue holding down the button, the jacks will continue to raise, both TOGETHER, until you release the button.
That would seem obvious, maybe, to most....o.k.....BUT....

What happens, though, when a pair of jacks, such as the front, are already down, and have raised the rig slightly, and then you decide to raise one of the SIDES, maybe the Passenger SIDE, such as if you are on a driver to passenger side slanted site?
What you'll find is the BUMP or 'crash' of the rig DROPPING down! WHY ???

What's happening is this: the Front jacks are down and touching the ground, but you are also on a 'slanted' RV site, toward the passenger side. You now want to put the Passenger SIDE jacks down to take care of the slant, but remember, the jacks ALWAYS work in Pairs, so when you press the Right PASSENGER side arrow button, the front jack that you already let down, now moves back UP to coincide with the right rear jack that has yet to even start moving DOWN - the rig then 'falls' down toward the slant!
The reason this happens is that no pair of jacks move independently DOWN, but, a jack CAN be raised by itself, but ONLY in this situation, and ONLY because the system realizes that it is not in 'line' with the right rear jack, and must do that FIRST before the right rear jack can start down.
This is also why your rig can jump and jerk while the AUTO mode is trying to level it.

How do you overcome this?

Well, the good news is that this only really happens when you are on a fairly slanted site. If you are going to use MANUAL mode, take note of the lowest part of the site that you are going to deal with... let's say the right passenger side, where both right jacks, front and rear, are going to have to be raised HIGHER than the other two on the opposite side.
You first raise the RIGHT pair of jacks, but ONLY a few seconds.
Then, press and raise the LEFT pair of jacks, but again, only for a few seconds.
Neither of these pairs will yet be touching the ground, which is by design.
Do this back and forth until you feel the LEFT side finally touch down, and leave it right there.
Then, go back to the RIGHT set of jacks, and lower them until they touch the ground, then continue until the rig is LEVEL - if you have an LCI Lippert Level-up or similar panel, it should have a green 'LEVEL' indicator that will light up and automatically stop the Jacks when you are level, EVEN if you are in Manual mode.

In this case, you'll have no jerking, or jumping, or falling of the rig. You've successfully lowered your jacks, yourself, in manual mode, and performed a flawless 'leveling' of your rig.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once you do this at several different sites, with different slants and issues, you'll quickly start to understand how to best diagnose the situation, and realize which pair to lower first, etc., etc.,...

BUT, you want to also be cognizant of how the system RAISES your jacks when you get ready to leave.
ALL Jacks move at the SAME TIME, not in pairs, not individually! Crazy, I know.

So, when you get ready to leave, remember that your 'slant' to the right side is going to have your right side jacks much more extended than your left side jacks, and therefore they will have much farther to 'move' when you press the 'Auto Retract' button.
If you do this in AUTO mode, the system is going to take over, raising ALL the jacks at once, and you are going to go for a RIDE!!! You may even feel as though the rig is going to 'fall over' to the passenger side!
It probably won't, but it can sometimes be a nasty revelation to those not 'expecting' this when it happens - especially if your dishes come falling out of the cabinet!

So, how to remedy this?

Yes, you can - but in MANUAL mode ONLY.
But, alas, there is only the 'Auto Retract' button...so how do I 'manually' raise the jacks?
You go into MANUAL mode, and you still press the 'Auto Retract' button, but ONLY for a slight second. Then release. Do this slowly and over a period of time that it takes to carefully allow your rig to lower itself down, without near as much bounce, or 'falling' as would otherwise happen if you hold the button down continuously.
For DIESEL coaches with air bags, there is an additional option, to make this even better and more comfortable - allow your bags to inflate when you start the coach. But, before you go to 'Auto Retract', whether in auto mode, or manual, deflate your bags for a few seconds - this will provide a 'buffer' between you coach frame(chassis), and your House frame, so that the movement of the gravity of 'falling' while the jacks raise is not as evident. Not near the 'bouncing', or 'jerking' down as you might otherwise have.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
My wife is vertically challenged at 4’11”. The auto level feature usually puts the ACE too high for her to comfortably get up the step. Just works better for us to manual level the MH.
My Missus is only a little bit taller... we bought her one of these:
(Remember: great things come in tiny packages! )

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1566856407
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	054594_1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	19868  
Old 08-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Yep Bob we have step stools all over the house and the MH as well

Turner that is some great info right there on using the levelers. As this is our first MH with a leveling system ( last one we drove up on boards ) that info you have posted will definitely speed the learning curve TX
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:43 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I've used the MANUAL mode exclusively since early on after I also realized that the AUTO leveling feature tends to ultimately set the coach up way higher than it really needs to, and jerks and jumps as it's doing it's job...

I took a look at 'how' the system works, and found that each 'pair' of jacks operate in tandem, never one by itself, and never all four at the same time, when leveling. So, when you go into MANUAL mode, you must think about how each SIDE, or each END, will be impacted as you press either of the FOUR buttons - Front, Pass side, Rear, Driver side.

For instance, with all jacks in the UP position, and you press the FRONT arrow button, both FRONT jacks will start to move Down, until they touch the ground, which is when you'll 'feel' the coach move slightly. If you continue holding down the button, the jacks will continue to raise, both TOGETHER, until you release the button.
That would seem obvious, maybe, to most....o.k.....BUT....

What happens, though, when a pair of jacks, such as the front, are already down, and have raised the rig slightly, and then you decide to raise one of the SIDES, maybe the Passenger SIDE, such as if you are on a driver to passenger side slanted site?
What you'll find is the BUMP or 'crash' of the rig DROPPING down! WHY ???

What's happening is this: the Front jacks are down and touching the ground, but you are also on a 'slanted' RV site, toward the passenger side. You now want to put the Passenger SIDE jacks down to take care of the slant, but remember, the jacks ALWAYS work in Pairs, so when you press the Right PASSENGER side arrow button, the front jack that you already let down, now moves back UP to coincide with the right rear jack that has yet to even start moving DOWN - the rig then 'falls' down toward the slant!
The reason this happens is that no pair of jacks move independently DOWN, but, a jack CAN be raised by itself, but ONLY in this situation, and ONLY because the system realizes that it is not in 'line' with the right rear jack, and must do that FIRST before the right rear jack can start down.
This is also why your rig can jump and jerk while the AUTO mode is trying to level it.

How do you overcome this?

Well, the good news is that this only really happens when you are on a fairly slanted site. If you are going to use MANUAL mode, take note of the lowest part of the site that you are going to deal with... let's say the right passenger side, where both right jacks, front and rear, are going to have to be raised HIGHER than the other two on the opposite side.
You first raise the RIGHT pair of jacks, but ONLY a few seconds.
Then, press and raise the LEFT pair of jacks, but again, only for a few seconds.
Neither of these pairs will yet be touching the ground, which is by design.
Do this back and forth until you feel the LEFT side finally touch down, and leave it right there.
Then, go back to the RIGHT set of jacks, and lower them until they touch the ground, then continue until the rig is LEVEL - if you have an LCI Lippert Level-up or similar panel, it should have a green 'LEVEL' indicator that will light up and automatically stop the Jacks when you are level, EVEN if you are in Manual mode.

In this case, you'll have no jerking, or jumping, or falling of the rig. You've successfully lowered your jacks, yourself, in manual mode, and performed a flawless 'leveling' of your rig.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once you do this at several different sites, with different slants and issues, you'll quickly start to understand how to best diagnose the situation, and realize which pair to lower first, etc., etc.,...

BUT, you want to also be cognizant of how the system RAISES your jacks when you get ready to leave.
ALL Jacks move at the SAME TIME, not in pairs, not individually! Crazy, I know.

So, when you get ready to leave, remember that your 'slant' to the right side is going to have your right side jacks much more extended than your left side jacks, and therefore they will have much farther to 'move' when you press the 'Auto Retract' button.
If you do this in AUTO mode, the system is going to take over, raising ALL the jacks at once, and you are going to go for a RIDE!!! You may even feel as though the rig is going to 'fall over' to the passenger side!
It probably won't, but it can sometimes be a nasty revelation to those not 'expecting' this when it happens - especially if your dishes come falling out of the cabinet!

So, how to remedy this?

Yes, you can - but in MANUAL mode ONLY.
But, alas, there is only the 'Auto Retract' button...so how do I 'manually' raise the jacks?
You go into MANUAL mode, and you still press the 'Auto Retract' button, but ONLY for a slight second. Then release. Do this slowly and over a period of time that it takes to carefully allow your rig to lower itself down, without near as much bounce, or 'falling' as would otherwise happen if you hold the button down continuously.
For DIESEL coaches with air bags, there is an additional option, to make this even better and more comfortable - allow your bags to inflate when you start the coach. But, before you go to 'Auto Retract', whether in auto mode, or manual, deflate your bags for a few seconds - this will provide a 'buffer' between you coach frame(chassis), and your House frame, so that the movement of the gravity of 'falling' while the jacks raise is not as evident. Not near the 'bouncing', or 'jerking' down as you might otherwise have.

Thanx for this info. Now I need to digest it.
Thanx again.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:52 AM   #14
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
When we got our first RV with jacks, dealer showed us a very simple procedure that has worked well for me.
- lower front jacks till both touch
- lower rear jacks till both touch
- follow arrows to move pairs of jacks till level.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Manual leveling is too time consuming for me, I just hit the auto level and two minutes later put out the slide and I'm done.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Manual leveling is too time consuming for me, I just hit the auto level and two minutes later put out the slide and I'm done.

I can manually level in half the time it takes to auto level. I run the front jacks down until the front end just starts to move. I run the back down until the back just starts to move. That tells me all four jacks are on the ground. Then I level front to back. Finally I level side to side. Sometimes that might throw off the front to back so may have to bump front to back. Sounds time consuming but really isn’t after you get the hang of it. I decided to go to manual leveling after the auto leveling kept failing with all wheels off the ground. After manual leveling all four wheels were on the ground and the unit was quite solid. Have not used auto leveling since. The funny thing is that the unit was level without the jacks. Really just needed stabilized.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
RVing is about the process: not just seeing how fast you can get through it...
Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #18

THOR #6903
Definitely some very good points in many of the post for anyone learning and using hydraulic leveling. Has to be a great help
Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Park, put cellphone with Rigid Level App in middle of floor by m/w and toss plastic leveling blocks, as needed, under wheels.

Sometimes I have to shift a case of water or soda from one side to the other to fine tune to it.

Might take 10 minutes to get it done but I'm retired. If I was in a hurry I'd have gotten to camping spot 10 minutes early.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #20

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
THOR #13869
I have experienced the same jarring and finished "too high" when the auto mode finishes its auto leveling.
Not sure of the one who posted it a good while back, but like TurnerFam's advice, it led me to level it manually from then on.
Once you get it down, it has a much desirable result.

Our wall panel has a screen, and on it, displays the amount of degrees you need to be to its preset level when moving whichever direction needing lifted.
Stop at zero degrees +/-.

Use a spirit level on the floor, preferably one 2 foot long, or better, one that fits both directions, just not one 6 inches long.
Manually get it to as perfect level as you desire.
Then shut off system, follow your system's manual, and recalibrate the preset level.
Ours is the Lippert LCI hydraulic system, and on it, turn off, push front 10 times, then push rear 10 times, it will beep and let you know it has been reset.

Tags
lci leveling system, leveling