Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Alabama
THOR #17986
Awning Help Needed

Here is my issue:
I have a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 with a 19' side awning. When I try to extend the awning it starts to unwind but will not open without a little persuasion from me pulling on the hinges. I have tried lubricating them but no help. Is there some adjustments that can be made to help with this issue?
Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A 2018 ACE, did you just purchase the coach and find this issue or have you had the coach since new and the problem just surface?

Have you checked to ensure the awning pitch is within 2 or 3 clicks from end to end? If the pitch is excessive it could cause the awning to bind. Also a bent awning arm could cause the problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

THOR #17986
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
A 2018 ACE, did you just purchase the coach and find this issue or have you had the coach since new and the problem just surface?

Have you checked to ensure the awning pitch is within 2 or 3 clicks from end to end? If the pitch is excessive it could cause the awning to bind. Also a bent awning arm could cause the problem.
It's a new purchase. I know it's under warranty still but I really hate taking it to the dealer if its a simple fix I can do myself.
I will check the positioning to make sure it's 2-3 clicks from the end.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Goins View Post
Here is my issue:
I have a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 with a 19' side awning. When I try to extend the awning it starts to unwind but will not open without a little persuasion from me pulling on the hinges. I have tried lubricating them but no help. Is there some adjustments that can be made to help with this issue?
Thanks in advance
Sounds like you have lost pressure in one or both gas springs assuming you have a Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awning.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We are in Florida. The little tree frogs frequently stuck in mine along with leaves. I clean them with a pressure nozzle on garden hose the dry and spray with RV silicone.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:23 AM   #6

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Goins View Post
Here is my issue:
Thanks in advance
There are several adjustment points, here's a link to Carefree where you can download a pdf for your awning. They are easy to adjust unless it's broken, our used one was.
The pdf will also have part #'s.
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #7

THOR #17986
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll check it out this weekend and post my results.
Thanks again
Old 04-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #8

THOR #10883
Awning binding

My 30.3 has the same awning and I had the same problem. It was the lower arm binding at the top when it was closed. One arm covers the other and on the front one it was dragging, scraping a little on the one it closes on. I went to the other end and gave it a good shove and it has worked fine since. You might have to bend that top open a little where it covers the other arm.