Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 36 TL
State: Illinois
THOR #6705
Ford 6 speed torqshift tranny

Hello everybody , newby here from Illinois. Have a question about the 2017 6 speed tranny. I have read that to down shift it takes just a tap of the brake. I was just wondering if this is the case or not ? It would be great for going down steep or long grades. One other thing does it work the same way if u are in over drive. Just wondering if anyone has the new 6 speed and has any experience with this ?

Thanks !

Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramtough View Post
Hello everybody , newby here from Illinois. Have a question about the 2017 6 speed tranny. I have read that to down shift it takes just a tap of the brake. I was just wondering if this is the case or not ? It would be great for going down steep or long grades. One other thing does it work the same way if u are in over drive. Just wondering if anyone has the new 6 speed and has any experience with this ?

Thanks !
Yes, when you engage the "tow/haul" button on the end of the gear selector. Going downhill, you just briefly tap on the brake and it will take it to the next lower gear. I have used it several times and I really appreciate not having to ride the brakes.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:27 AM   #3

Model: challenger 36 TL
State: Illinois
THOR #6705
Thank you Earl ! New to this, very first time with a motorhome. I really appreciate
your input. Sincerely; Robert
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Some of the 2016 Ford chassis will not downshift properly in the tow/haul mode, I know because I have one. There is a tech service bulletin from Ford, you can go to a dealer and have the ECU reflashed to fix the problem, takes about 20 min to do. I mention this just in case your coach doesn't downshift like it should.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Some of the 2016 Ford chassis will not downshift properly in the tow/haul mode, I know because I have one. There is a tech service bulletin from Ford, you can go to a dealer and have the ECU reflashed to fix the problem, takes about 20 min to do. I mention this just in case your coach doesn't downshift like it should.
Good to know, ours doesn't seem to shift right; to quick to down shift and takes forever to up shift in hilly terrain.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
You should know that this trick works on the older 5-speed (E-350) coaches also.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
gbrown,

Nice to know about the 5-speed. Does the "quit tap to downshift" only occur when in tow/haul mode?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Doc,
Yup!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
What would be the point of upshifting sooner if the engine couldn't hold a taller gear on an uphill? Or if engine could barely hold next gear but running under such high torque load that it would burn more fuel and reduce engine life?

We need to remember that motorhomes, even smaller ones, are not cars or SUVs, and that their power to weight ratio is much lower. For that reason they often have to hold a much lower gear on uphills compared to what we see out of our cars/SUVs.

The Ford V10, like most engines that are not inherently balanced and also have a long piston stroke, doesn't particularly like to rev, but that's where the power comes from. It's a necessary evil if wanting to drive uphills a little faster.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Much better plan to "anticipate the hill" by speeding up a little before you get to it and then let your speed bleed off as you climb. Better gas mileage and noise levels.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #11

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Oneil,

To avoid the downshift when going uphill I agree on the anticipation factor when approaching a long uphill.

Last year I was looking at the 5Star tune-up I believe you had a term...an educated foot and so far the educated foot has worked out well enough for me here in NC mountains (no 5Star tune-up yet).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #12

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
The TowHaul feature on the TorqueShift transmissions is basically a shift-pattern changer--holds each gear longer when accelerating and will downshift with a tap of the brake when going downhill. For information purposes--the downshift feature keeps the torque converter locked up for engine braking purposes going downhill.
You should experiment with this feature to get used to it behavior--for instance, when in TH and going thru the gears--click it off and you should get an immediate upshift, this will negate the longer time in a gear if you aren't going uphill. Also, when going downhill, the trans is programmed to downshift when it senses you are gaining speed and the accelerator pedal is not in use. If speed gain continues, a tap on the brake will initiate another downshift. Again, experiment to get used to what to expect--sometimes the downshift will raise the rpms to a 'scream' level and scare the dickens out of you, but the trans/engine is programmed not to exceed a certain rpm level.
Another experiment in TH mode--use it in town and coast up to a stoplight--it should downshift one or two times and you will feel it. Without the TH, the torque converter unlocks when no pedal input is noted to help with coasting and gas mileage.
Some people use TH all the time; others like myself, only use it in hilly or mountainous terrain. It has no effect on steady flat-terrain driving, except that if in use and you step on the accelerator, it will probably downshift where it would not have w/o TH being on.
Diesels and gas vehicles are different in how noticeable the effect is, but it works the same in both.
Not sure about the later models, but in the 6.4/6.0 engines, it is NOT an engine brake.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #13

THOR #1765
I agree Doc. I drove 6000 miles this summer from Florida all over Colorado and New Mexico and had no issues with hills - up or down. On wingnut60's comment, in the 6.7L in the Vegas/Axis the TH certainly acts as an engine break. That is what I primarily (exclusively?) use it for - going downhill.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys
On wingnut60's comment, in the 6.7L in the Vegas/Axis the TH certainly acts as an engine break. That is what I primarily (exclusively?) use it for - going downhill.
The Axis/Vegas has the 6.8L V-10. Wingnut60's comment about 6.0/6.7L referred to Ford's Powerstroke Diesel engines and that the trans downshifting isn't the same as a Diesel exhaust brake.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #15

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The Axis/Vegas has the 6.8L V-10. Wingnut60's comment about 6.0/6.7L referred to Ford's Powerstroke Diesel engines and that the trans downshifting isn't the same as a Diesel exhaust brake.
Sorry Jamie.. fat finger on my iPhone... meant 6.8L. Wingnut60 references 6.0 and 6.4 engines but as far as I know in gas engines Ford only makes the 6.2L for trucks in V-8 engines over 6.0L. It also makes a 6.7L but it is diesel.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Right I was just addressing this part of his comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Not sure about the later models, but in the 6.4/6.0 engines, it is NOT an engine brake.
Both 6.4 and 6.0 are Ford's Powerstroke Diesel engines (the 6.0L is the first Ford designed Diesel as the 7.3L before it was a Navistar engine).

I believe he was referring to the common practice of putting an exhaust brake on a Diesel (which makes a heck of a racket when in use).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

I believe he was referring to the common practice of putting an exhaust brake on a Diesel (which makes a heck of a racket when in use).
The old diesel exhaust brakes were noisy but my 2012 is nearly silent.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Good to know, ours doesn't seem to shift right; to quick to down shift and takes forever to up shift in hilly terrain.
I understand your point about taking forever to up shift in hilly terrain. It took me a while to almost get use to the high revs when upshifting, either on level ground out of TH and especially on hills in TH. On level ground when not in TH mode, I sometimes release the throttle to force the transmission to upshift. Having experience driving a standard transmission, I would like the V-10 engine to upshift sooner.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37YT
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I understand your point about taking forever to up shift in hilly terrain. It took me a while to almost get use to the high revs when upshifting, either on level ground out of TH and especially on hills in TH. On level ground when not in TH mode, I sometimes release the throttle to force the transmission to upshift. Having experience driving a standard transmission, I would like the V-10 engine to upshift sooner.

Just get a 5 star tuning. It will solve transmission problem and better power.