Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #1607
2016 Vegas Windsheild Stress Cracks?

I noticed a crack from both the left and right side of windshield. The cracks start from the outside edge and are running inward (left to right)

I have about 3000 miles on a purchased the unit brand new.

Seems this would be coverd under warranty since there is no signs of a rock chip starting the cracks.

Has anyone else had this happen and could this be repaired with any success?

Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
You could call the 800# for Thor customer service and ask, but more than
likely you will be calling your insurance company asking to have it replaced.

I have rock chips in mine and one at the bottom center started
to crack and it is now about 6 inch's long.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is a warranty item: Thor has had to replace the front windows on a few Vegas/Axis units so far. Give them a call.

Strangely the problem is with newer units (I would have thought the early units--like ours--would exhibit the problem since Thor was first "learning how to build them" but that is not the case in this situation).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

State: Ohio
THOR #1607
Thanks
I have spoke with Thor and seems like it going to be covered
Taking in back to place of purchase later this week

So far this has been the ONLY thing wrong and we are loving the Vegas
Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #1991
Just got mine back from CW. Stress fracture from the right corner toward the center of the windshield. Thor covered it.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
Waiting for the Windshield

Had a small stress crack on the top of the windshield when we got it. I never saw it until my eagle-eyed wife spotted it. Camping world is waiting for the windshield to come in, and it is being covered by Thor.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
I have a friend that has been waiting 4 months for a windshield in his Tuscany from stress cracks. Seems Thor can not keep up with the demand for windshields with the stress crack problems.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
When I was shopping for a motorhome I visited the big annual RV Show at the Pomona Fairgrounds in California. While there, I had the pleasure of visiting many different manufacturers displays with the latest coaches.

The other benefit is meeting the transient salesmen that tend to stay in the RV business, even if they don't stay with the same manufacturer.

I met a sales guy while walking through a similar floorplan, (bath and a 1/2) Winnebago, as the 34E Thor I was actually interested in. I mentioned that the Vista was really nice, but the Thor was being offered for MANY less dollars. He went into the standard Winnebago salesman pitch about the steel safety cage, custom tanks, and part number stickers on everything.

His sales pitch was wearing me down and I mentioned that the Thor coach at the show had a cracked windshield, and the Winnebago appeared to be much better.

He was straightforward and explained to me that he had worked at Thor for years, and was familiar with the windshield stress cracks, (and windshields popping out while still new). And, he mentioned it was an occasional issue for Winnebago as well.

He explained that it has to do with the fiberglass endcap, how the window is mounted with adhesive like in an automobile, clearances, tolerances, and flexing of the frame and the endcap during leveling, and road travel.

Essentially, the frame and/or endcap make contact with the fragile windshield where it's not ideally supposed to, and it cracks, (or pops out). It happens more with the big single piece windshields, than it ever did with the split models.

He then walked me over to a Winnebago right there at the show with a similar windshield stress crack. I ended up purchasing the Thor!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:12 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I seem to remember an ad, I believe it was in Motorhome magazine a month or two ago. It was about the windshield for the Axis/Vegas. You might scan a few magazines. I'm sure one could be purchased with quicker delivery than from Thor.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #1713
took over 2 months to get front windshield replaced after multiple cracks developed.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:21 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
THOR #2554
Before I bought the ACE. I was , walking around the dealership. I walked in the Vegas, thinking interesting windshield. BIG and curves all over the place. Then I saw it, stress crack at the bottom of the windshield. There were 6 Vegas' that I saw there. 5 of them had stress cracks in various areas of the windshield. I thought then, not for me.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:06 AM   #12

THOR #2680
Saw a 24.2 at recent San Diego RV show - two large cracks running from each top corner to opposite lower corners. Even though we love the floor plan, still not sure we want to deal with windshield issue. (Had a Jeep Cherokee which cracked it's windshield 3 times in 4 yrs. - a big pain in the patute!) RV salesman said it would be replaced of course... but... still gives pause. Has anyone had problems with it's very low chassis? Feels like it could bottom out on a small speed bump for heaven's sake!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The low spot is that flange under the entry step. I've been thinking about cutting it off for a bit less worry when entering or exiting campsites. So far I've been able to negotiate crests so that the step trim hasn't scraped.

Our windshield arrived with a stress crack and was replaced prior to our pickup. We have flexed the chassis pretty good on several back road camp destinations since then without cracking the new one. Fingers crossed
Old 09-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #8643
[QUOTE=Pat and Renee;16302]I noticed a crack from both the left and right side of windshield. The cracks start from the outside edge and are running inward (left to right)

I have about 3000 miles on a purchased the unit brand new.

Seems this would be coverd under warranty since there is no signs of a rock chip starting the cracks.

Has anyone else had this happen and could this be repaired with any success?[

I have a 2017 Vegas that developed a stress crack running from bottom center up 6 inches then turned towards driver side and while awaiting new glass continued to grow Replaced but installation is now leaking.