Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds (31Z) on E-450
State: Maryland
THOR #701
Anyone use an iOBD2 reader?

I just bought an iOBD2 tool and downloaded the iPhone App. I wondering if anyone has any experience with what readouts I can expect to see on my 2003 Ford E-450 Four Winds (31Z)? The MH is still covered (is spring ever coming???), so it will be a few more days before I'm able to actually hook it up and fire up the motor to see for myself.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #2

THOR #701
Update on iOBD2

I received the iOBD2 reader and plugged it into the motorhome with the key set to "Accessory". My iPhone quickly found the wifi network created by the reader and the App was able to connect. Without the engine running (the motorhome is still covered) I'm able to see coolant temp and voltage! I can't wait to uncover the unit and see what information is provided by my 2003 E450. I have my fingers crossed that it will transmit MPG and other information that will allow me to tailor my driving to minimize my fuel consumption. I'll post again once I have more information!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Model: Siesta28BK
State: England
THOR #714
Hi , I use a Scangauge always plugged in and constant reading. ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
so any reports on your set-up?
What OBD reader did you get?

I was thinking I might like to do the same for MPG and for monitoring temps, etc.....
I just don't want to spend big money on it.....
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

THOR #701
Really happy with iOBD2

After using the iOBD2 cross-country (~2500 miles), I couldn't be happier! On my 2003 E450 Four Winds I can get instant mileage, average mileage, coolant temp, oil pressure, MPH, average speed, etc. It's great for maxing out fuel use! I had started with one of the more generic OBD2 readers and it didn't work, I couldn't get it to stay connected. With the iOBD2 reader, that hasn't been a problem, it creates it's own network and connects every time. I use it with my iPhone or iPod Touch. The App is easy to use and you can set up custom dashboards to display just the info you want to see, and if I remember correctly it has alarms you can set as well to warn of high temps or low volts. I highly recommend the product.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

THOR #701
If you search Amazon or the internet, look for the iOBD2 (vice OBD2).
Set up on the iOBD2 is no more difficult than finding a new wireless network on your smart phone. Connect to the network, open the App, display your data...that simple.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I am using an OBDC tool, called a Garmin EcoRoute HD that plugs into the OBDC socket (2011 E450) and Bluetooths to my Garmin GPS.

It can also Bluetooth to an Android Smartphone using the Garmin Mechanic app, but there is no support for an iPhone at this point.

I use it to keep tabs on fuel mileage, as it outputs fuel flow data, and combined with a GPS, fuel mileage is calculated.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
untill I can get one of my own, I'm curious what you folks with an E450 chassis are seeing
.... at what highway speed do you see your best mileage?
or maybe a better way to ask, what speed to you drive if assuming flat terrain and no traffic
Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
With my 28Z, which is actually 29ft 10in, I am getting 11MPG+ on the highway, driving 55~60MPH.

But when I get into town, with the various starts and stops, this quickly drops to 9.5~10MPG.

Also hilly highways at even highway speeds and mileage drops 1~2MPG.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
There haven't been any posts to this topic in 3.5 years so I'm wondering if any of you guys would like to update your experience with OBD readers? I'm in the market and trying to figure out what to buy. And anyone with a newer device care to add your two cents worth?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #11

THOR #701
Thumbs up I use the iOBD2 reader religiously!

I've been using the iOBD2 reader religiously since I got it. It's been a great addition. I shows me my instance fuel mileage as well as my average mileage. I've also set alarms to notify me of any overheating (fortunately I haven't had any!). I would highly recommend getting one. Watch the reviews...the first unit I bought I couldn't get to connect to my device (it was really cheap). The second attempt, I spent a light more (less than $50) and it was a snap to connect and has worked flawlessly ever since. Mine creates a Wifi network, I believe some of the new units can work with Bluetooth.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Occasionally I plug in my OBDLink MX (Bluetooth, Android/Windows, Amazon link) running Forscan (an OBD2 scanner app specifically for Ford's).

Forscan was the only app that could find all the modules on my Focus Electric (there are about two dozen modules on that car). On the Axis there is 3 modules LOL.

I keep it around to pull codes, but don't do much other than that.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryhuk View Post
Hi , I use a Scangauge always plugged in and constant reading. ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

ditto!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iobd2, iphone, obd, obd2