Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.4
State: Delaware
THOR #9121
2018 A.C.E. 29.4 Satellite

My 2018 ACE 29.4 has satellite coax connectors on the roof. WHERE do they come out inside the coach??? I've been trying to find out for days. Also, where should the dome be mounted on the roof? Is there one spot that's reinforced, or is any spot on the centerline Ok?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

THOR #9121
Someone has to have installed a satellite on a late model ACE. Please share what you know. I emailed Thor the same questions, and they're not even bothering to get back to me. I know if I call them, they won't know, will want to call be back and won't. Help me out here! Please!
Old 11-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I do not have a answer for you, just a couple questions. When you say coax connector on the roof I am thinking a plate with male connection just sticking up out of no where. I now on my 2017 29.3 ACE the coax comes through the roof then connects to the King OTA ant. The coax end that would be inside the coach should be behind the wall where the rest of your cable connections are.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Typically the cabling would be run to the entertainment center area. You should have an HDMI switch somewhere and I would think the satellite cable would come in and terminate in the same compartment or behind it. Most manufacturers use orange coax for sat cabling.

As far as where to mount the dome, anywhere that you have clear sight lines will work. Assuming that you have a Winegard dome with the roof mounting kit, use the screws that come with it and lots of Dicor self-leveling sealant and Eternabond tape under each foot and you won't have any roof leaks. You can certainly try to find the roof studs but the dome shouldn't go flying off in any conditions if you use the Dicor and/or Eternabond when you mount it. Also make sure to mount the cable from the dome to the roof access just to keep any random branches from pulling it out. We just used globs of Dicor every foot or so to keep the cable in place.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

THOR #9121
Ok. First, I'm an idiot. What I thought were capped off coax connectors on the roof turn out to be wiring for solar panels. That being said, it actually makes my life easier, since I can run the wire down with the OTA wire and reseal it with dicor.

Thanks for the input on mounting the dome. The only spot clear of everything (line of sight for dish) is over top of the cab area. I'm hoping it doesn't create a bunch of wind noise I can hear while driving. There is the retracted bunk in that area, and I'm hoping all that foam will soak up and excess noise.

Any thoughts on that?

Chris
2018 A.C.E. 29.4
Chevy Colorado TOAD
FMCA F453754
Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have seen alot of domes mounted at/on the top of the ladder. Food for thought as I know there is not much room on the ACE roof. Good Luck
Old 12-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I had a satellite dish installed on the Gemini, smaller than yours, and get zero wind noise from it while underway. Also installed a 2nd AC in front, and no wind noise from that either.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #8

THOR #9121
I installed it yesterday without difficulty. Test drove it this morning and did not hear any additional wind noise. Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate it.
FMCA F453754
cconnorrn is offline   Reply With Quote