Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis model 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #24368
Angry 2018 Thor Axis 25.2 Cab Temperature

We purchased our Thor from MHSRV and ever since we bought it we have had Cab A/C problems. Found out the hard way that the A/C system was MISSING 3 MAJOR COMPONENTS. This is after 2 trips to a Thor dealer and final took it to an authorized A/C dealer. Thor paid for everything but.... Does anyone know what the cab temperature should be if the outside temperature is 95F? I'm getting 80F. Living in Texas I don't want to run the generator and the coach A/C while traveling.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar1985 View Post
We purchased our Thor from MHSRV and ever since we bought it we have had Cab A/C problems. Found out the hard way that the A/C system was MISSING 3 MAJOR COMPONENTS. This is after 2 trips to a Thor dealer and final took it to an authorized A/C dealer. Thor paid for everything but.... Does anyone know what the cab temperature should be if the outside temperature is 95F? I'm getting 80F. Living in Texas I don't want to run the generator and the coach A/C while traveling.
You may not want to but on hot days that may be required to stay comfortable unless you install a curtain separator behind the cab area. The dash A/C is not rated to cool the entire MH.

A/Cs are also not evaluated on inside vs outside temperature; they are evaluated on the difference between inside temperature and the temperature of the air leaving the vents - there should be about a 20 degree difference.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
We live just west of San Antonio, TX. From May to October, the coach does not move during the day without the front roof air conditioner running. The cost is an average of additional $11 a day in gas to keep the entire coach at 78 degrees. (Gas cost averages $120 per day). We travel with two Abby cats and prefer that they sleep in the recliners rather than under foot or in our laps. The 20,000 btu dash A/C always blows cool air (about 70 degrees), but does not have the capacity to keep the entire front of the coach cool. Adding the 15,000 btu roof air keeps the coach cool even on those 100 F degree days in the full sun.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
The above points are very true. Do you keep the A/C on recirculate when it gets that hot? I have found in our Axis 24.1 that the A/C keeps the front end cool without recirculation up to the lower 80s outside temp. When it gets uo to 85, I turn it to recirculate. So far it hasn't been any hotter than that in the NE. But if it were I would start the generator and the roof top A/C as recommended above.

As noted Ford builds the chassis engine alternator with enough capacity to cool the cab only if it had one. The Axis and other Class As and Cs have much more interior volume and wall square footage so you have to turn on the roof top A/C when it gets really hot.

Another point FWIW, when we stop for a couple of minutes with just the chassis A/C going in low 80s temps with no recirculation, the floor always gets warm. I attribute that to the front air intake over the engine sucking up hot air from the radiator when you stop. When you get going again it is sucking up outside air and you don't feel it anymore. Why it just does this to the floor vents when the air control is set on the chest level vents is something I can't explain, so maybe my explanation is all wet.

David
Old 07-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
You didn't say whether you installed insulation inside the doghouse and inside the engine cavity where available to do so.
Insulation does help quite a bit.

Also, depending where the sun is while driving makes a huge difference.
That is, sometimes we have one (or the other) side curtain pulled as far forward as possible, and/or the front shade as low as possible.

Another option is to pay to have your front side windows tinted with a ceramic smoke tint.