Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35M
State: Ohio
THOR #24944
2018 Windsport 35M Power Issues

Good Morning and Happy New Year to everyone!

Quick back story.

Traveling to TX from Ohio, we had an issue with extremely high winds and a passing semi truck. Something happened to our slide awning which required repairs once we made it to TX. Took it to a shop to repair. Since we were staying at our sons home in the DFW area for the holidays, we weren't in a hurry so we told them to take their time, no rush.

We dropped off on November 23rd and after repairs were completed, picked it up on 12/22/2021. When we picked up, the LCI Levelers panel showed an error, low voltage and would not work. Then realized there was no cabin power at all. Went back inside to talk to techs, they came out and looked it over really quickly and determined that the house batteries were drained. Suggested I get it hooked up to shore power to recharge. Went on my way to my storage place where they have shore power available.

No luck at all with power so I just decided to change shore batteries out completely since they were about 5 years old. Purchased new batteries and hooked them up. I now had house power but still low voltage on the LCI panel.

There is also no display showing on the inverter panel at all. It just won't turn on. Full house power complete with lights and water pumps on shore and battery power. Attempted to start the generator from the panel as I was trying to troubleshoot everything I could think of. No luck starting generator.

Found some suggestions on this forum and still no luck.

Here's where I'm at:

First checked inline fuses to batteries, all look good.

Found the 100 amp breaker yellow flag was tripped, reset. No luck

Disconnected new house batteries and shore power completely for about 10 minutes before reconnecting batteries, no luck.

I'm just stumped as to what to do. Of course we leave Dallas tomorrow heading to Galveston Island when this all happens. I'm thinking if I can't get it resolved today, that we can go ahead and take off and continue to troubleshoot when we get to Galveston tomorrow. Also found a mobile tech down that way to call just in case I need help.

I'm at a complete loss here...attempted to upload photos but I don't have permission. Sorry about that.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #2

THOR #24944
Here are the photos. Had to log out and back in again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveler panel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	35424   Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter panel.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	35425  

Old 01-01-2022, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
First - the power to close the battery disconnect latching relay comes from the house batteries. If they are dead and the relay is open the converter will not charge them until you charge them externally and close the battery disconnect.

Now it sounds like when the batteries were changed out there was some mis-wiring or shorting of leads. You found the 100 amp dc breaker that provides power to the generator DC side and hydraulic pump. There is also a 50 amp DC breaker that provides power to the house DC buss through the battery disconnect latching relay and another lead that provides power to your inverter through either another DC breaker or fusible link.

Are you running the engine when you get the "low voltage" indication on your LCI control panel? You are supposed to. If so, there is probably another DC breaker under the hood that may be tripped that goes to the batteries cross-connect device (BIRD or BIM or BCC).

Sounds like you need to break out a multimeter and start checking some voltage to help your troubleshooting.

One more question: Is the "Main Power" light pictured above on when you are disconnected from SP?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseLee View Post
Here are the photos. Had to log out and back in again.

do you have any power at the actual inverter and not the remote panel controller?

Mine is in one of the storage compartments and I have hit the on/off before and turned it off by mistake.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #5

THOR #24944
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
First - the power to close the battery disconnect latching relay comes from the house batteries. If they are dead and the relay is open the converter will not charge them until you charge them externally and close the battery disconnect.

Now it sounds like when the batteries were changed out there was some mis-wiring or shorting of leads. You found the 100 amp dc breaker that provides power to the generator DC side and hydraulic pump. There is also a 50 amp DC breaker that provides power to the house DC buss through the battery disconnect latching relay and another lead that provides power to your inverter through either another DC breaker or fusible link.

Are you running the engine when you get the "low voltage" indication on your LCI control panel? You are supposed to. If so, there is probably another DC breaker under the hood that may be tripped that goes to the batteries cross-connect device (BIRD or BIM or BCC).

Sounds like you need to break out a multimeter and start checking some voltage to help your troubleshooting.

One more question: Is the "Main Power" light pictured above on when you are disconnected from SP?
Yes, engine is running and low voltage indicator is still on. Will check the DC breaker under the hood, thanks for that!

The main power light was not on when the old batteries were completely discharged. As soon as I hooked up the new batteries, the main power light would stay on when disconnected from shore power.

When I swapped out the batteries, I took photos to make sure I had everything hooked back up properly.

I can do a lot of things but electrical stuff is not my cup of tea at all. Totally outside of my comfort zone to be honest. :-)