Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #18121
Thanks for the informative and timely info!

I really appreciate this thread. My wife and I have been camping for years (1970 VW Sportsmobile Penthouse Camper and 2013 Camplite Truck Camper). Still have them both and have done several pretty long hauls of 6-9,000 miles over the past 5 years with the truck camper.

We have been contemplating an upgrade as we get older to make it a bit more comfortable for those longer trips; however, we also need something that will make it out a pretty dicey farm road to some isolated wooded property past the family grave yard in Virginia. We have been making it in our 3/4 ton Chevy truck and camper, but it is not 4-wheel drive and it gets pretty scary past the pig pond and along the long hilly grass farm road when it rains.

We have been looking at B+ rigs in the 23’ - 24’ range from different makers. The new Ford Transit AWD platform is a game changer for us if it is really on the horizon this 2020 model year. Does anyone know if any RV manufacturers are taking orders with this new drive setup?

Old 02-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #22

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDreamin' View Post

.....cut....

We have been looking at B+ rigs in the 23’ - 24’ range from different makers. The new Ford Transit AWD platform is a game changer for us if it is really on the horizon this 2020 model year. Does anyone know if any RV manufacturers are taking orders with this new drive setup?
Coach House is advertising their new Platnium III 250 on AWD Transit chassis with EcoBoost V6. However, it’s a bit longer at 25’-6”, plus they tend to be pricey. I’d give them a call just to confirm that Ford is already making the AWD Cutaway chassis available to RV manufacturers.

At Tampa RV Super Show a Coachmen factory representative said they had ordered some Transit chassis with AWD, EcoBoost, and dual alternator option (something I had been discussing with him). Again, you could give the factory a call to see if they know when AWD Transit will reach dealer lots.

The cost adder for Transit AWD is not as high as for Mercedes Sprinter 4WD, but is still significant, so demand may not be great in Class Cs and B+. I personally expect that Transit AWD will be more popular in Class Bs because they are more likely to go off-road.

Unlike Mercedes, Ford has stated they are making AWD available in Cutaway chassis. I’ve already seen AWD vans for sale, but no Class B+ yet.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #23

THOR #2121
Here is a revision that should have been included in 2020 update, and likely of interest to RV buyers. Many expected the parking brake to be eliminated to make movement inside motorhome and also to make rotation of driver seat easier. Ford revised parking brake handle last year, but this is better for movement between front seats.

Another revision is optional console with shifter moved towards passenger seat, allowing more leg/knee swing room. I’m not sure how I feel about eliminating both cup holders.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24DD9A60-E97F-4B40-B1B7-F881D8352EAC.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	25508   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B99683A-E73A-41B0-8BDE-25CD0A0E6412.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	25509  

Old 08-11-2020, 12:48 AM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The Sprinter's parking brake handle just drops back down to the floor after being activated... Easy-Peasey!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:07 AM   #25

THOR #2121
So does the 2020 Transit (at least as option).

No lever/handle opens up room at floor between seats. The parking brake handle on Transit needed to go away.