Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #61
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
On the schedule. Fourteenth Thursday of the third November in 2021. I haven't found them yet but supposedly tickets are on sale now. Right now the odds are pink by 5 to 3.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1576246467
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Ultimate Selfie.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	21815  

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #62

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It DOES look easier to work on without the house on top of it.

Can’t tell how the new 7.3L V8 is going to fit in the E-Series or F-53 motorhome chassis yet, but Ford has made Super Duty pickups available for testing (with both the 7.3L gas and 6.7L diesel) with condition that data not be revealed until later in January. However, Ford did not limit them from showing us the engines.

Below are screen shots of the gas and diesel in Super Duty, and to me it looks like there is a lot more space around the gasser. Comparing the top of the engines to firewall shows the 7.3L is lower also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4E39A8D2-9B88-4BA4-89DA-58A8282C63DF.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	21857   Click image for larger version

Name:	A739A5C1-FA59-4A91-816B-C88ED4BED6DE.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	21858  

Old 12-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #63

THOR #2121
Also, Ford hasn’t shared the bore spacing for the new gas V8, but based on bore and stroke of 107.2 X 101, the engine doesn’t look much larger than some small block V8s of the past. Based on picture below, the bore centers is much tighter than the 460 / 7.5L V8 that was used in motorhomes before the V10 (460 was used through 1996 if I recall correctly).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2B3BB756-7C65-45F5-ADC6-9AB560B7ED0A.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	21859  
Old 12-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #64
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That performance test data has to be out there somewhere...
Doesn't anybody in here know someone who's a friend of a...
Old 12-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #65

THOR #2121
The most important data for buyers should probably be what Ford rates the chassis to haul or tow. For the new E-Series there is some GCWR overlap between the E-350 and E-450 depending on whether one gets the “Economy” or “Premium” versión of the 7.3L V8 engine. It’s now possible to have an E-350 with Premium engine with higher GCWR than an E-450 with Economy engine.

I can just see irate motorhome buyers who may get less than they expected if manufacturers order some E-450s with Economy engines.

Think about it, a fully-loaded E-450 could end up with only 4,000 pounds of towing capacity (18,000 GCWR - 14,000 GVWR).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B9211D73-B3C2-4835-B5C1-BC222B96087F.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	21860  
Old 12-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #66

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Look at gm ls series engines, more compact tham a big block. It will be interesting to see net effsct of 7.3/10spd. Nowhere likely to be I got have now deal. We have had the v10 6 spd almost 4 yearsnow have never found it lacking. Bettef mileage eould help but not worth eating the depreciation for.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I always thought that my Outlaw with that engine and transmission combination: never lacked for power...
Old 12-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #68
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The most important data for buyers should probably be what Ford rates the chassis to haul or tow. For the new E-Series there is some GCWR overlap between the E-350 and E-450 depending on whether one gets the “Economy” or “Premium” versión of the 7.3L V8 engine. It’s now possible to have an E-350 with Premium engine with higher GCWR than an E-450 with Economy engine.

I can just see irate motorhome buyers who may get less than they expected if manufacturers order some E-450s with Economy engines.

Think about it, a fully-loaded E-450 could end up with only 4,000 pounds of towing capacity (18,000 GCWR - 14,000 GVWR).
They only get less than they expect if they buy without doing the research first.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #69

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
......cut..... It will be interesting to see net effsct of 7.3/10spd. Nowhere likely to be I got have now deal. ......cut......

To be clear, all Ford specs I’ve seen show the E-Series and F-53 motorhome chassis will get the 6-speed 6R140 transmission. The 10-speed will be available with the Super Duty pickups. Maybe in a year or two the 10-speed will filter down to motorhomes.

Ford will be installing the 7.3L gas engine with 6-speed in F-650 and F-750 with GCWR up to 37,000 pounds, so they must be very confident of the new engine. I hope it’s warranted.

Some drivers feel you can never have too much power, but if the 7.3L can handle over 22,000-pound combined rigs, I could easily get by with a much smaller engine in a ~ 10,000-pound small motorhome. Unfortunately, even the lighter SRW E-Series won’t have a smaller engine option. The important question for me is whether a 7.3 can deliver up to 12 MPG like the old 5.4L V8 when installed in smaller Class Cs. I know it’s not much of a difference in fuel savings, but 12 MPG (on gas) is a magical number I don’t want to fall under, whether it can be justified or not.

P.S. — One effect of 7.3L/10-speed may be that it cannibalizes some of the pickup diesel sales. I found it interesting that Ford ads are already revising language to reduce emphasis on mega torque ratings used to promote diesel sales.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #70
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Look at gm ls series engines, more compact tham a big block. It will be interesting to see net effsct of 7.3/10spd. Nowhere likely to be I got have now deal. We have had the v10 6 spd almost 4 yearsnow have never found it lacking. Bettef mileage eould help but not worth eating the depreciation for.
Keep in mind that Ford and GM's 10-speed transmissions are very similar for a reason:

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...transmiss.aspx
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:32 AM   #71

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
To be clear, all Ford specs I’ve seen show the E-Series and F-53 motorhome chassis will get the 6-speed 6R140 transmission. The 10-speed will be available with the Super Duty pickups. Maybe in a year or two the 10-speed will filter down to motorhomes.

Ford will be installing the 7.3L gas engine with 6-speed in F-650 and F-750 with GCWR up to 37,000 pounds, so they must be very confident of the new engine. I hope it’s warranted.

Some drivers feel you can never have too much power, but if the 7.3L can handle over 22,000-pound combined rigs, I could easily get by with a much smaller engine in a ~ 10,000-pound small motorhome. Unfortunately, even the lighter SRW E-Series won’t have a smaller engine option. The important question for me is whether a 7.3 can deliver up to 12 MPG like the old 5.4L V8 when installed in smaller Class Cs. I know it’s not much of a difference in fuel savings, but 12 MPG (on gas) is a magical number I don’t want to fall under, whether it can be justified or not.

P.S. — One effect of 7.3L/10-speed may be that it cannibalizes some of the pickup diesel sales. I found it interesting that Ford ads are already revising language to reduce emphasis on mega torque ratings used to promote diesel sales.
Ford may be lifting a page from it's ecoboost project for the new offers. It's a game of watch, wait and see.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #72

THOR #2121
Manufacturing for the 2021 E-Series was suppose to start yesterday, 1/2/20, so I did a quick search to see if it had remained on schedule. I didn’t find much, but ran across a Canadian dealer that has the “build and price” on their web site.

Anyway, pricing on some options I’d want if buying a new E-Series are very interesting, although there is no telling if RV manufacturers will spec their chassis with any of these options. Price should be Canadian but I’m not 100% certain.

For RV applications what has interested me most was the promise of dual alternator option, provided cost of option was kept low, and Ford hasn’t disappointed (I hope it’s not a misprint because it’s so inexpensive). Upgrading to a 240 Amp alternator is listed at $160, and upgrading to 240/157 Amp alternators $320. Even if in US dollars that’s a bargain, although in the past many volume RV manufacturers keep cost as low as possible by going with the standard lower-Amp alternator.

I hope that at least on motorhomes like the generator-free Coachmen Cross Trek line they include dual alternators for faster battery recharging. This could make a more cost-effective poor-man’s version of the ~ $25k lithium packages.

The Driver Assist Technology Package is listed at $1,700, which isn’t bad for what it includes.

An option I had not seen mentioned before is the driver-side exhaust pipe (late availability) option. This could come in handy if anyone was planning to idle engine while parked and sitting outside. I’m not sure I’d want this at all with driver-side slide, but for slide-less motorhomes it may help keep exhaust away from sidewalks, or campers under awning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	99FADA8E-34B0-4D28-81E4-EF8EEC09B0B4.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	22052  
Old 01-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #73

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
What the heck is “post collision braking”?!
Old 01-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #74
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Its part of Ford's Co-Pilot360 v2.0, go here:
https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/202...r-all-vehicles

Scroll to the Co-Pilot section and watch the little video.

(and, yes if anyone is curious: I reserved a Mach-E LOL)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #75

THOR #2121
Quote:
I assume that after an accident the vehicle will stop itself so it doesn’t continue rolling and hit something else. I suppose system could be very beneficial if driver is incapacitated.

I like the sound of the Adaptive Cruise Control although I’ve never driven one. Automatic Emergency Braking sounds good too but I have some concerns. I hope it can be turned off or overridden if needed.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #76

THOR #2121
Motorhome Chassis Flyer

New pdf from Ford covering motorhome chassis specs for 2021 E-Series Cutaway, and 2020 Transit motorhome Cutaway and Van.

Some options are confirmed, like Transit EcoBoost, driver and passenger swivel seats, higher GVWR and GCWR, etc.

For E-Series it shows TPMS available as a factory option on DRW chassis, new safety features including optional driver assist technology package, dual alternator option, etc.

A lot of these features were know previously, but it’s great to see them associated with “motorhome” chassis; which should increase chance of them being specified by RV manufacturers.

https://www.fordupfits.com/commercia...90b52b362da840
Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #77
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I assume that after an accident the vehicle will stop itself so it doesn’t continue rolling and hit something else. I suppose system could be very beneficial if driver is incapacitated.

I like the sound of the Adaptive Cruise Control although I’ve never driven one. Automatic Emergency Braking sounds good too but I have some concerns. I hope it can be turned off or overridden if needed.
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is nice but it can be a pain. When in moderate traffic on an interstate it can cause unwanted aggressive braking when going around slower moving traffic and going behind a faster moving vehicle in the left lane. This has occurred numerous times with the ACC on my Lincoln and the Grand Cherokee. I'm not sure I would want that happening on a motor home, especially when towing a car or trailer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #78
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
I think that I'd worry more about "post collision pooping"...
Old 01-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #79
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
...(and, yes if anyone is curious: I reserved a Mach-E LOL)
Has anybody tossed tossed you a "Mock-E" comment yet?

Seriously: I hope that it turns out to be the best car you've ever owned!
Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #80

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is nice but it can be a pain. When in moderate traffic on an interstate it can cause unwanted aggressive braking when going around slower moving traffic and going behind a faster moving vehicle in the left lane. This has occurred numerous times with the ACC on my Lincoln and the Grand Cherokee. I'm not sure I would want that happening on a motor home, especially when towing a car or trailer.

Yeah, I agree some things “sound good” in theory, but often aren’t as good as one expected when put to the test.

I like being in control, and rarely use my normal cruise control. I feel I can anticipate speed better and thus save fuel and brakes. If adaptive cruise control isn’t very smooth, I’d probably not use it either. I basically enjoy driving so want to do it myself.

Emergency braking has safety potential, but I’m concerned about misuse.

Overall the new E-Series seems a little more capable. I just wish Ford had increased the SRW GVWR to Mercedes Sprinter and Transit levels (at least to 11,000 pounds). It seems such a waste to have so much underutilized mechanical hardware. I’d personally prefer a Transit- or Sprinter-size Class C if it were on an E-Series chassis with real truck engine and drivetrain.

If wanting a small gas motorhome, I’m not sure a high-revving V6 is the best choice.