Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
2021 THOR ACE 33.1 - Brake Control Plug Location

Good evening folks. I have searched everywhere in this forum (as well as Google) on the location of the Brake Control Plug. My coach have the New V8 engine (if that makes a difference). I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller that I used when we had our 2015 Forest River Forester (E450).

I found some pictures from Etrailer that looked like almost a “square”, grey plug. I ordered Part # 3035-P from Amazon (which according to Etralier is supposed to be plug and play for Ford).

I crawled under my dash (left of steering wheel) and found 3 different plugs (open/available). But NONE will accept the Tekonsha Adapter part # 3035-P. Do I need a different plug? Or I just haven’t found the CORRECT plug from my coach for the brake controller?

Appreciate any information.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If it won't work due to wiring changes consider one of the wireless units.
$250+- and no wiring at all. Powered by your 7 pin plug, controls by Bluetooth.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #3

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Good evening folks. I have searched everywhere in this forum (as well as Google) on the location of the Brake Control Plug. My coach have the New V8 engine (if that makes a difference). I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller that I used when we had our 2015 Forest River Forester (E450).

I found some pictures from Etrailer that looked like almost a “square”, grey plug. I ordered Part # 3035-P from Amazon (which according to Etralier is supposed to be plug and play for Ford).

I crawled under my dash (left of steering wheel) and found 3 different plugs (open/available). But NONE will accept the Tekonsha Adapter part # 3035-P. Do I need a different plug? Or I just haven’t found the CORRECT plug from my coach for the brake controller?

Appreciate any information.
May not have found it yet. Mine (2006) was tied up above the steering column. I wouldn't have found it if I didn't know it was there. Do you have an access hatch above the dash? If so, remove it to give you a better look.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:51 AM   #4

THOR #21278
I crawled underneath my dashboard and this is what I found. Three different plugs, of which NONE will accept the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 plug kit I purchased that was supposed to work with FORD(plugs on BOTH ends).

Now, this pigtail harness came with my manuals (inside the black bag). It has 4 pins. I am thinking this "may" connect to that "4 pin" plug from underneath my dashboard (grey)? Then... I connect the other Tekonsha Harness that I purchased (with one end pigtail, the other end with plug that connects to my brake controller?

Old 12-08-2020, 03:52 AM   #5

THOR #21278
Thanks for the suggestion ducksface. I will keep this in mind as Plan B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If it won't work due to wiring changes consider one of the wireless units.
$250+- and no wiring at all. Powered by your 7 pin plug, controls by Bluetooth.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #6

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
I crawled underneath my dashboard and this is what I found. Three different plugs, of which NONE will accept the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 plug kit I purchased that was supposed to work with FORD(plugs on BOTH ends).

Now, this pigtail harness came with my manuals (inside the black bag). It has 4 pins. I am thinking this "may" connect to that "4 pin" plug from underneath my dashboard (grey)? Then... I connect the other Tekonsha Harness that I purchased (with one end pigtail, the other end with plug that connects to my brake controller?

even though our rigs are decades apart, mine too, had a pigtail for the trailer wiring, but mine was in a zip lock bag, tied to a wire bundle, under the dash. So, if you got that with the rig, I'd say it was probably for the trailer wiring. Brake/turn left, brake/turn right, ground, running lights. You will probably have to find the power for the brake controller, as it won't be in the 4 pin connector. I'd suggest grabbing your meter and verifying those signals on the pins of the connector you 'believe' is correct.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

THOR #21278
I crawled underneath once again last night, looking for the brake control plug. I looked all over, and still didn’t find anything tucked underneath (other than the ones on the picture). Still on the hunt for the brake control plug. Any other suggestions on possible location?
Old 12-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It might not exist.
Take a look at your chassis invoice.
If it's listed on there, it doesn't have one.

I'm remembering another post where someone didn't have one.

Controllers haven't changed much. You can always old school splice it into the harness.
I know you'd like to find it but you've done a pretty good search and no one here is any help.
Next step wod be to go to a dealer and take a look at another Ford chassis, truck or rv, to kinda buy a vowel.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Do you have a 7 pin plug back by the hitch?
Old 12-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #10

THOR #21278
I have the 7-pin (round plug), as well as a 4-pinplug right underneath the round plug.

I am trying very hard to find the factory plug (if there is one) so I can plug my Prodigy P3 brake controlled and start pulling my car and my EZ tow dolly (with electric brakes).

I looked into the wireless brake controller. Aside from additional expense, I think it will require me to mount it on the trailer itself.

I also am trying to avoid paying and electrician to wire anything into my coach as we are DEFINITELY getting something to flat tow sometime next year. We will have to sell our tow dolly by then. That is the reason why I am trying to avoid additional expenses at this time and use our current tow set-up (if I can only find that plug).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Do you have a 7 pin plug back by the hitch?
Old 12-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
If you can take the gauge cluster out it "should" be labeled and buried in the wires on top of the steering column. Or move the seat all the way back and look on top of the column..
It will be pretty hard to see!

If you find it in another location please let us know
Old 12-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

THOR #21278
I am going to try one more time today when I get home from work. On my 2015 Forester (Ford E450), it was behind the coin tray. I had to remove the coin tray and it was right behind it. I really don't understand why Ford have to hide the plug when they know (or maybe not) that the owner might be using that plug to tow something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
If you can take the gauge cluster out it "should" be labeled and buried in the wires on top of the steering column. Or move the seat all the way back and look on top of the column..
It will be pretty hard to see!

If you find it in another location please let us know
Old 12-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #13

THOR #17765
Quote:
I have the 7-pin (round plug), as well as a 4-pinplug right underneath the round plug.

I am trying very hard to find the factory plug (if there is one) so I can plug my Prodigy P3 brake controlled and start pulling my car and my EZ tow dolly (with electric brakes).

I looked into the wireless brake controller. Aside from additional expense, I think it will require me to mount it on the trailer itself.

I also am trying to avoid paying and electrician to wire anything into my coach as we are DEFINITELY getting something to flat tow sometime next year. We will have to sell our tow dolly by then. That is the reason why I am trying to avoid additional expenses at this time and use our current tow set-up (if I can only find that plug).
Well I had 2 plugs. The one that was high on the steering column was the diagnostic plug. Way down low, right where the steering column comes through the floor, I found the brake/light/trailer plug. I had to buy a Ford harness adaptor to get the controller plug to match up. It was a specific 10” pigtail made for my brand controller.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:42 AM   #14

THOR #21278
OK folks. Problem solved. I wanted to post it here so that if other people have the same problem in the future, I hope this can help.

The "Brake Control Plug" is that "4 pin grey connector" on the right/bottom side of this picture (as I have previously suspected).

This is the "Ford Supplied pig-tail connector" that came in the bag, with my manuals.

I purchased this "Tekonsha Pig-tail connector", that I spliced into the Ford Pig-tail connector. Also shown in the picture is how I connected the wires, using the decripstion on "Tekonsha's Color Code and Description"..... AND "Ford Pig Tail's Color Code and Description". (I hand wrote the corresponding codes to the right side of the desscription in Tekonsha's docuement).

I also purchased this Curt 7-pin Tester from Amazon. Everything checked out and function after I plugged all connectors and after I plug the Teckonsha Brake Controller.

WE ARE NOW READY TO TOW OUR DOLLY/CAR.

Thank you all for your help. I am hoping this help other folks here in the forum.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #15

THOR #17765
Great work! Glad you figured it out. The pictures will surely help someone else in the future.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #23592
Hi All,

I am unable to see the pictures which would help me out. Struggling to locate this dang connector on my 2021. TIA
Old 05-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehunts View Post
Hi All,

I am unable to see the pictures which would help me out. Struggling to locate this dang connector on my 2021. TIA
Usually in the location of and oftentimes zip tied to the steering column.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:20 AM   #18

State: California
THOR #23664
Thank you for the info and pictures. I too bought the Tekonsha Ford harness thinking that was the correct plug and play. I could only find those three harnesses and will be splicing my Ford harness that was with the manuals to the tekonsha harness.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #19

State: Florida
THOR #26526
Hi Ador,
Do you know the part number for the ford supplied pig tail. I just bought a used ACE that did not come with one. Please let me know if your pig tail has a part number on it. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:03 PM   #20

THOR #21278
Looking at some old pictures from my phone, I read "LU94 14A348 B6EJ0" from FoMoCo. The last one maybe a "ZERO" or Letter "O".

Hope this help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Hi Ador,
Do you know the part number for the ford supplied pig tail. I just bought a used ACE that did not come with one. Please let me know if your pig tail has a part number on it. Thanks.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote