Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6266
29g cable

I have just taken del on a Thor 29G 2016. Where do I find the cable / over air switch? And is there a booster for the air stations? Help appreciated

Old 01-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Don't know what a 29G is but look in cabinets for a wall plate with a coax connection. On the wall plate will be a very small button and led, push button is for the antenna booster. On for antenna channels, off if you are hooked to cable.

Congratulations on your new coach!!! Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
Didnt you have PDI with the dealer?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #4

THOR #6266
Found the control! In a corner of a cupboard above the passenger seat!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

THOR #5196
Great! Glad you found it!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:45 AM   #6

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Guys, may be stupid question but what is the antennae booster? Maybe I have one and don't know what it is. I have 3 TVs in my motorhome and they all work, but sometimes they do have different channels. I do have the black box in the cabinet near the main TV with all kinds of buttons (from memory) cable, antennae, DVD, etc??? 3 sets of buttons to be exact, a set for each TV labeled TV1, TV2, TV3??? Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:10 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Guys, may be stupid question but what is the antennae booster? Maybe I have one and don't know what it is. I have 3 TVs in my motorhome and they all work, but sometimes they do have different channels. I do have the black box in the cabinet near the main TV with all kinds of buttons (from memory) cable, antennae, DVD, etc??? 3 sets of buttons to be exact, a set for each TV labeled TV1, TV2, TV3??? Thx, Dennis.

The booster button basically turns on your antenna. It needs to be on when using the antenna to watch tv and off when using cable hook up. It has nothing to do with the box you referred to That is the switch box where all the hdmi cable go into.

Like SD said the booster button will be on the plate where the cable come into your mh. Ours is in the store compartment by the front door. The antenna is just above the door. Yours way be in the same area.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #8

THOR #3156
Heres what it looks like. The little button to the right of the cable plugs needs to be on when watching tv

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-15-2017, 03:30 AM   #9

THOR #5196
Jerry, is that the one in your coach, ours doesn't have the 12v plug.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:34 AM   #10

THOR #3156
No i found the pic on the internet. Just posted as an example. But hopefully he will get the idea on what it should look like

FMCA # F464385
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #11

THOR #6181
Maybe I have a different setup. Story is recently I added a King Jack antenna and remembered having to look up some info. The King Jack says not to use 12V from both a booster and a black box. So, I had to run down my black box.
Attached is the info on my black box. apparently it feeds the 12 v to the antenna.
Part of the setup was to insure power was getting to antenna by way of the coax. My box has a power button that does this. You test by watching antenna and switching box on and off. There is a small LED on bottom of the King Jack. The switch on box does control the power and LED.
Is that the booster built in? Reading the instructions right now I assume that's correct but not too keen on TV stuff. I just like to turn on/off w/o issues. Look at link and see if that's what you guys see. Thx.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Video Control Center QS53DVD Manual.pdf (673.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

THOR #6181
Quote:
Maybe I have a different setup. Story is recently I added a King Jack antenna and remembered having to look up some info. The King Jack says not to use 12V from both a booster and a black box. So, I had to run down my black box.
Attached is the info on my black box. apparently it feeds the 12 v to the antenna.
Part of the setup was to insure power was getting to antenna by way of the coax. My box has a power button that does this. You test by watching antenna and switching box on and off. There is a small LED on bottom of the King Jack. The switch on box does control the power and LED.
Is that the booster built in? Reading the instructions right now I assume that's correct but not too keen on TV stuff. I just like to turn on/off w/o issues. Look at link and see if that's what you guys see. Thx.
Folks, sorry to be a PITA, but just returned from MILs funeral. Thought I'd check to see if anyone had helped me solve this mystery. I did go back to RV in storage yesterday and looked again. I still cannot find any white plate in this Hurricane 34e. Anyone have a 34e and location ideas?
But looking again at Jerry's answer, my black box does turn on/off the power to the antenna. The King Jack has a power LED on bottom of antenna and it goes on/off when I use switch on black box. Is it the same thing/function as white plate booster power button?
Thanks Dennis.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #13

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
I'm not familiar with King Jack.
My booster is in a closet. Flat brown plate with only green light and small push button on front. The amplifier circuits, 12 volt connections and cables (3) are on the back of that plate. Inside the wall. Mounted alongside the AV distribution panel.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Budman -- not all booster control switches are on a white wall plate with the coax connection. I included a picture of the one on my 2015 Vegas 24.1. The black plate to the rear is for the booster. All it has is the booster button and LED light. No coax connections.

Mine is located on the side wall of the upper most shelf in the kitchen cabinet above my sink. It cannot be seen (or reached) without standing on a stool. RV manufacturers are notorious for "hiding" this little jewel.

The booster switch, as its name implies, does more than turn on (or off) your TV antenna. It is also an amplifier that "boosts" the antenna signal (hence its name). It is wired between the antenna and all the splitters going to each TV so that a boosted on air signal goes to each location.

Also, in almost all applications, if this booster switch is on (indicated by the small LED light near the booster switch button), your cable system will be disabled. You cannot use the cable system if the booster is on. So be sure the LED is out before you try to scan the TVs for cable operation.

I read the instructions on your video box. It sounds like you power the box and if hooked to cable, press the 'Cable TV" button for the TV you are watching. If you are in a park or boondocking with no external cable, to use the antenna you turn on the box and press the "TV Ant" button for the relevant TV. Looking at the rear, there are only coax connections for 3 TVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Booster & LR TV Peripheral Hookup.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	3764  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #15

THOR #6181
Thank you for the info. After reading your answer with the more info I searched on Google a little different way and actually came up with this video about the black box. It is from Thor. It confirms what you say about the switch powering the antenna and built in booster/amplifier. Thx, Dennis.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #16

THOR #3156
Dennis
The photo i posted was just to give you an idea what to look for. As others have said the booster can look different

Just call Thor. They can tell you where its located

FMCA # F464385
Old 01-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #17

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Budman -- not all booster control switches are on a white wall plate with the coax connection. I included a picture of the one on my 2015 Vegas 24.1. The black plate to the rear is for the booster. All it has is the booster button and LED light. No coax connections.

Mine is located on the side wall of the upper most shelf in the kitchen cabinet above my sink. It cannot be seen (or reached) without standing on a stool. RV manufacturers are notorious for "hiding" this little jewel.

The booster switch, as its name implies, does more than turn on (or off) your TV antenna. It is also an amplifier that "boosts" the antenna signal (hence its name). It is wired between the antenna and all the splitters going to each TV so that a boosted on air signal goes to each location.

Also, in almost all applications, if this booster switch is on (indicated by the small LED light near the booster switch button), your cable system will be disabled. You cannot use the cable system if the booster is on. So be sure the LED is out before you try to scan the TVs for cable operation.

I read the instructions on your video box. It sounds like you power the box and if hooked to cable, press the 'Cable TV" button for the TV you are watching. If you are in a park or boondocking with no external cable, to use the antenna you turn on the box and press the "TV Ant" button for the relevant TV. Looking at the rear, there are only coax connections for 3 TVs.
Thanks. My setup looks almost identical to your pic except unless I am mistaken my rear plate is a blank. I will have to go look again to be sure but RV is 20 miles away in storage.
I understand from everyone's answers there can be different plates, different colors, and configurations. But I have looked at Thor's site a few days ago, and went back again, and the electrical drawings are out there for electrical power 12v and 120. My booster shows in the exact bin I am looking in, above the frig. Just like it shows for a 29 to be above the passenger site. A 32 shows to be above the exterior door or in a cabinet very close (not familiar w a 32 floorplan). Not sure it is there but that's what the drawing shows.
Not sure Thor will tell me anything other than what the drawing shows but I will call to be sure. I have not been to a CG w cable since owning this RV show not sure if it works or not. But hopefully going in Feb so I want to use cable if free and I am sure better than antenna.
Thanks for the reply as it was the most helpful since you read the instructions on the box and understood what I was asking. I will let you all know what I find out as it may be helpful to someone else as much as myself. That was the point of asking the question to begin with, to help all. Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
...A 32 shows to be above the exterior door or in a cabinet very close (not familiar w a 32 floorplan). Not sure it is there but that's what the drawing shows.
On the 2014 32A it is built into the Quest box (pictured in earlier post) and is located in the cabinet just forward of the exterior door. The booster is integrated into that box.

My 2000 Infinity had it integrated in the wall plate with the coax.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booster, cable tv