Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The V-10 is an overhead valve engine as such it just loves the high RPMs....
Overhead valve engines are, and have been common, but the V-10 also has a single overhead cam that promotes high RPMs. Perhaps it's the sound coming from the inside of the doghouse that causes me to avoid high revs.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
5 Star PCM Tuning for Ford V10 Gas

I did the 5 Star tune on my F53 with the 5 speed transmission right before we left on a 6500 mile trip out west. I like it a lot. Mostly for the altered shift points. But it’s not magic. There is still a tendency to drop down to third gear when fourth is perfectly able to pull the hill. There’s not much alternative on a 6% grade that’s two miles long. You’re going to be going up in third gear at about 50 mph and 4000rpm. You can do it at 60 if you want but you’ll be making a lot of noise at close to 5,000 rpm and generally I don’t. In the mountains I prefer to use tow mode and/or not use cruise control. I find that I can use fourth gear effectively by letting the speed drop a little more that CC would and I’m happier. Notwithstanding, I’m very pleased with the tune. Not sure it would be quite so beneficial on a 6 speed model but maybe. So far on my trip I’m only managing about 7 mpg but it’s been a LOT of mountains and some impressive headwinds going west through the Dakotas and Montana. I’m keeping careful records and will do all the analysis on the whole trip when we get home.