Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
50 amp to 110 current

i have a 50 amp motor home, my question is I would like to connect a 50 amp plug through an adapter to 110 house current. Nothing other than a refrigerator 24 hours prior to leaving for a trip, and lights would be turned on. This would be done in order to charge the batteries. Does anybody do this?

Old 02-14-2016, 04:38 AM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #3639
I have

I have done the exact same thing but only with a 30 amp plug. I made my own adapter for my old trailer, I just purchased an adapter at wally world for less than the one I made from HD depot parts. I gave my old one away with my trailer when I sold it. I would not exceed 15 amps draw so no air micro wave or any combinations that have a heavy draw beside you circuit breaker should trip but who knows. So common sense needs to prevail but I see no problem charging your battery and cooling down the fridge. Well that's my 2 cents worth
Old 02-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
i have a 50 amp motor home, my question is I would like to connect a 50 amp plug through an adapter to 110 house current. Nothing other than a refrigerator 24 hours prior to leaving for a trip, and lights would be turned on. This would be done in order to charge the batteries. Does anybody do this?
I have a 30 to 110 which I use to run the refrigerator before we leave, I would think they make a 50 to 110 but not sure about that. We usually plug in the morning or night before we take off to get frig cooled down then switches to gas when we take off, works well.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1505
I use an adopter to connect directly from 50 amp to 110. Noticed that Amazon has them for around $47. It is a Conntek 14222 rv 1.5 - foot pigtail. Do a Google search.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Thank you all for this information
Old 02-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Looks like 2 posts on same topic... I posted my reply here...
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...rent-3208.html

Quote:
from wathom:
I would not exceed 15 amps draw so no air micro wave or any combinations that have a heavy draw beside you circuit breaker should trip but who knows.
While the circuit breaker is certainly there to protect the HOUSE wiring - it does little to protect what you are plugging in...
In this mode - appliances like the microwave are likely not going to get the power (volts/amps) they want - depending on the cords/adapters use - and could be damaged - similar to the effects of a 'brownout' on home appliances.
One reason I still run through my Surgegard in this config - it will detect the low voltage and cut off the RV. Need to be conscious/careful about what you turn on when connected to a limited supply source.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
A agree with GMC. Many campgrounds will have 30 or 50 ampere circuits, but we need to be aware of the voltage at the device we are using. Voltage varies according to the time of day because of changes in use so what's good in the late evening, might not be good in the morning.