Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
50 amp to 30 amp

I will be taking my RV to a campground that has 50 amp power only. My RV is 30 amp. I have purchased a 50amp male to 30amp female RV power pigtail adapter. I am told this is what I need to plug my 30amp RV power cord into and connect the adaptor (50amp male plug) into the 50 amp circuit at the campground. I also have a Surge Guard, 30 amp, model 34830 protector. I need some advice. I believe that I connect the Surge Guard to the 30amp female pigtail adaptor and then connect my 30amp power cord from the RV to the Surge Guard. Am I right about this?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
That works, I have done it several times.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Yes...
The 50A to 30A adapter just brings through one of the two HOT legs of the 50A 220v service - give you 50A at 100v...
The surge protector gets plugged into the adapter - and the wire from your MH to the surge protector.
Your rig will still be limited to 30A due to the main breaker in the RV.

Technically something going wrong between the pedestal and the main breaker in the RV could exceed the rated current of the connection wire, RV sidewall plug, transfer switch - and something could be damaged before the pedestal breaker trips - but it is unlikely to ever be an issue.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Since you have a 30 amp model surge protector, its male input plug will only fit a 30 amp female receptacle provided by the adapter (in your scenario).
Each of the different amperage and or voltage levels for the plugs/receptacles uses a different configuration of its prongs so that you can only plug the correctly rated cord into the correctly rated receptacle.
Some of the surge protectors will not only protect you from surges but will also protect you from incorrect supply voltages, miswired receptacles, missing ground or neutral connections, etc.
You never know what you are are going to get in some RV parks.
I stayed at a park and some of our kids we saying they felt a shock when they opened the door to come in. At first I didn't see how that was possible, I wasn't getting shocked, then I realized they were barefoot. Our rig was new so I didn't know if we had a problem or the park. We were leaving so once I disconnected everything I took my voltmeter to the pedestal and I measured 110vac when touching the leads to the parks waterpipe and the parks electric cabinet! That told me the metal box was energized. It should have been grounded. ALL metal electric cabinets or boxes are supposed to be grounded to keep it safe to touch. To make sure the breaker will trip if a live wire comes in contact with it. I called the park to inform them of what I had discovered so that they could have it fixed before someone gets hurt. It could have been just my pedestal or a whole string of pedistals that were incorrectly hooked up at the main elecyric supply equipment.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
50 amp to 30 amp

This is a great forum with a lot of useful information. Thanks to all for your comments. I should be okay with this setup.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
We recently stayed at 2 RV parks that had just updated their electrical systems, and had 50A only. One park (Weston Lake) supplied a pigtail if you didn't have one.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #7

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
The 50 amp service is 4 wire and has 2 50amp 120 volt circuits. The adapter to go from 50 amp to 30 amp only connects to 1 side of the 50 amp receptacle and provides 3 wires to the 30 amp female plug. My RV is 30 amp but I usually connect to the 50 amp circuit using the adapter. Insures I have full power available particularly if pedestal connections are old or worn. And always if I use a 30 amp extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50-30ampDogbone.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	5652  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote