Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw38RB
State: Colorado
THOR #14374
AC is cold then gets hot

Hi all, I've got a 2018 Thor Outlaw 37RB. When I turn the air on it will blow cold for about 5 minutes (I see the snowflake symbol on the panel) then after about 5 minutes the blower stays on but the snowflake goes out on the panel and the air gets warm. If I shut it all down and let it sit for a bit It does the same thing again , blows cold then gets warm. This is the exact same for both the front and rear AC unit's
My guess is this might be more of a thermostat or electrical issue since it does get cold initially. This camper is fairly new for us and before I leave it at the dealer for a month plus I wanted to check on here for suggestions.
Thanks for any help.

Also, it doesn't matter if I'm on auto, low or high.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Attached to the A/Cs evaporator is a freeze sensor. Its job is to detect there is ice forming on the evaporator's fins and signals the computer to turn off the compressor (the snowflake disappears) for 4 minutes. Technically the freeze sensor turns the compressor off when the fins reach 34 degrees and back on when after 4 minutes. The most common problem is the freeze sensor is not attached to average temp fin but placed close to a fin close to expansion valve. Low airflow in humid cabin air can also cause this problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 AM   #3

THOR #14374
Thank You!

Ok, this might be a bit above my pay grade to dive into. Basically we set the AC to auto at 72 degree's when we left this morning. Came back tonight and it was 92 degrees in here, the fan was blowing but no cold air. Thats when I started playing with it at the panel and was able to determine the description I put up above.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #4

THOR #14374
Also

I just confirmed that the compressor (snowflake) is not coming back on once it shuts off initially. I let it run for 10 minutes. Everything worked fine for a couple of minutes then the compressor shut off and never came back on.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #5

THOR #14374
Do any of you happen to know where the thermostat is located? Not the panel to set the temp but the actual thermostat?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I asume you are not in Colorado
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 AM   #7

THOR #14374
Actually we are currently in California. We sold our house in Colorado 3 years ago and travel full-time. Colorado will always be our "home base" though as we still have many friends there.