RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Ace 29.3 inverter - 1800 watt

Our inverter is rated for 1800 watts, but does not run the microwave, or a coffee pot, or a toaster.

All it seems to be hooked up to is the three television sets and the outside refer (which I have unplugged as we are not using it.)

What has been your experience with this inverter?

Thank you in advance.
__________________

__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Ace 29.3 - am I the only one with an 1800 watt inverter?

Just asking...
__________________

__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
Posts: 267
THOR #4117
An 1800 watt inverter will draw over 150 amps from your battery at full load. Depending on your battery bank, that may be too much current drain. If you draw too much current from the battery the voltage will drop and the inverter will shut down.

If you have a large battery bank, it could be that the wiring to the inverter is too small. Depending on the length of the wire you should probably use #2 AWG.
__________________
tenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
An 1800 watt inverter will draw over 150 amps from your battery at full load. Depending on your battery bank, that may be too much current drain. If you draw too much current from the battery the voltage will drop and the inverter will shut down.

If you have a large battery bank, it could be that the wiring to the inverter is too small. Depending on the length of the wire you should probably use #2 AWG.
This unit comes with two 12 volt deep cycle batteries....
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
Posts: 267
THOR #4117
Your 2 12v batteries could probably run the inverter for short periods. Do you know what size wire is used to connect the inverter to the batteries?

I don't have your RV or an 1800W inverter. From your post I gather they didn't wire the inverter to the items you mentioned. Probably didn't because of the high current drains.

If they are wired and the inverter just can't handle the drain, its probably because you need larger wire or more batteries, or both.
__________________
tenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
Your 2 12v batteries could probably run the inverter for short periods. Do you know what size wire is used to connect the inverter to the batteries?

I don't have your RV or an 1800W inverter. From your post I gather they didn't wire the inverter to the items you mentioned. Probably didn't because of the high current drains.

If they are wired and the inverter just can't handle the drain, its probably because you need larger wire or more batteries, or both.
Well, unless I hear from another Ace 29.3 owner, I will assume it is because they consider the drain on the batteries they installed too great. Thank you for your input.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,844
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Well, unless I hear from another Ace 29.3 owner, I will assume it is because they consider the drain on the batteries they installed too great. Thank you for your input.
I'm curious, did your inverter come with a transfer switch?
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'm curious, did your inverter come with a transfer switch?
I am sorry, I am not sure. Can you describe it?
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,829
THOR #1469
You have the same inverter that is installed on the Challenger. There are two issues which are:

The size of the inverter cannot handle everything in the coach. Thor has wired the coach so that only the refrigerator and television circuits are wired into the inverter. The justification for this, IMO, are the refrigerator needs power to stay cool when disconnected from shore power and the generator is not running and the televisions may be required for passengers while running down the road.

Second, the inverter is modified sine wave and some items require pure sine wave and not modified sine wave. Devices that tell time (eg digital clocks) or regulate heat (eg coffee pot, toaster, electric blanket) will generally require a pure sine wave inverter.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Thank you for your insight....
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,844
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You have the same inverter that is installed on the Challenger. There are two issues which are:

......cut....
Dave, as I recall reading your inverter doesn't have to be on when you are on shore power or when generator is on. If that's correct, do you know how the inverter is bypassed? Is there an internal transfer switch in inverter or is it done externally?
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
Posts: 123
THOR #1793
I have used the inverter maybe 3 times in a year and a half while driving down the road (without generator running) to power outlets to charge phones and use a tv. Besides that, inverter has remained off. Other times driving, we have run generator to power whole rv.

We have not dry camped without generator/shore power so full use of inverter has not been used.
__________________
2015 Thor ACE 29.3 (Traded in)
w/'15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,829
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Dave, as I recall reading your inverter doesn't have to be on when you are on shore power or when generator is on. If that's correct, do you know how the inverter is bypassed? Is there an internal transfer switch in inverter or is it done externally?
Chance, it's simple. I turn the inverter power button off since the inverter is not needed on shore power or when the generator is running. The 1800 has a remote panel that is mounted in the cabinet above my entry door.

Now, if I elect to run the inverter while on shore power or with the generator the remote panel will tell me how much voltage is being supplied to the batteries during charging.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
Correct me if I was mislead, but I was informed by Thor that 2016 and above Xantrex inverters are all true sine wave.

As for the original question, If you request the wiring diagram from Thor for your coach, you will see that only 5B receptacles (at least on Challenger 37LX) are connected to your inverter. Those are used for your refrigerator and televisions. You can wire additional receptacles but more than likely you would need a larger inverter and battery bank as the original design is only to support the refrigerator and occasional television use.
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,829
THOR #1469
Not all Xantrex Inverters are pure sine. If you have the Xantrex Pro 1800, which is installed on most Challengers, the inverter is modified sine wave.

If you have the Xantrex ProSine then it is a pure sine inverter.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
I will be in Elkhart at Thor in about two weeks to pickup my coach. I will then be able to positively tell you after that. Keep my fingers crossed that Thor didn't lie to me because I don't want to have to replace yet another item.
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
Posts: 304
THOR #4719
There is something in this thread I do not understand. That is running an RV refrigerator from an inverter. Every RV refrigerator I have owned or been around has been two way at least. Meaning that it will run off of 115 VAC or propane (with a small amount of 12 VDC for control circuitry). I had one that would also run off 12 VDC solely, but took a big toll on the batteries. Our 2017 Four Winds has the typical RV refrigerator in that (if the controls are set properly) it will switch automatically between 115 VAC and propane. Why would one want to run the refrigerator with an inverter when Propane is available?

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
Most new coaches are coming with residential refrigerators (AC only). Those coaches are usually designed with an inverter and battery bank large enough to support the refrigerator especially as energy efficient as they are. Many people in the RV industry believe that the days of dual and/or propane powered refrigerators are going away since they are a lot more bulky and maintenance intensive.
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
rmblaster's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
Posts: 154
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
There is something in this thread I do not understand. That is running an RV refrigerator from an inverter. Every RV refrigerator I have owned or been around has been two way at least. Meaning that it will run off of 115 VAC or propane (with a small amount of 12 VDC for control circuitry). I had one that would also run off 12 VDC solely, but took a big toll on the batteries. Our 2017 Four Winds has the typical RV refrigerator in that (if the controls are set properly) it will switch automatically between 115 VAC and propane. Why would one want to run the refrigerator with an inverter when Propane is available?

Ken
The original poster was talking about the outside refrigerator which is only a 2 cu ft that runs off the inverter
__________________
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
Posts: 304
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post
The original poster was talking about the outside refrigerator which is only a 2 cu ft that runs off the inverter
Thanks, now I get it.

Ken

PS I will keep to myself my opinions of outdoor kitchens that you can't set on a picnic table.
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×