Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Ace 29.3 inverter - 1800 watt

Our inverter is rated for 1800 watts, but does not run the microwave, or a coffee pot, or a toaster.

All it seems to be hooked up to is the three television sets and the outside refer (which I have unplugged as we are not using it.)

What has been your experience with this inverter?

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

THOR #4032
Ace 29.3 - am I the only one with an 1800 watt inverter?

Just asking...
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
An 1800 watt inverter will draw over 150 amps from your battery at full load. Depending on your battery bank, that may be too much current drain. If you draw too much current from the battery the voltage will drop and the inverter will shut down.

If you have a large battery bank, it could be that the wiring to the inverter is too small. Depending on the length of the wire you should probably use #2 AWG.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #4

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
An 1800 watt inverter will draw over 150 amps from your battery at full load. Depending on your battery bank, that may be too much current drain. If you draw too much current from the battery the voltage will drop and the inverter will shut down.

If you have a large battery bank, it could be that the wiring to the inverter is too small. Depending on the length of the wire you should probably use #2 AWG.
This unit comes with two 12 volt deep cycle batteries....
Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Your 2 12v batteries could probably run the inverter for short periods. Do you know what size wire is used to connect the inverter to the batteries?

I don't have your RV or an 1800W inverter. From your post I gather they didn't wire the inverter to the items you mentioned. Probably didn't because of the high current drains.

If they are wired and the inverter just can't handle the drain, its probably because you need larger wire or more batteries, or both.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
Your 2 12v batteries could probably run the inverter for short periods. Do you know what size wire is used to connect the inverter to the batteries?

I don't have your RV or an 1800W inverter. From your post I gather they didn't wire the inverter to the items you mentioned. Probably didn't because of the high current drains.

If they are wired and the inverter just can't handle the drain, its probably because you need larger wire or more batteries, or both.
Well, unless I hear from another Ace 29.3 owner, I will assume it is because they consider the drain on the batteries they installed too great. Thank you for your input.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Well, unless I hear from another Ace 29.3 owner, I will assume it is because they consider the drain on the batteries they installed too great. Thank you for your input.
I'm curious, did your inverter come with a transfer switch?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:28 AM   #8

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'm curious, did your inverter come with a transfer switch?
I am sorry, I am not sure. Can you describe it?
Old 07-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You have the same inverter that is installed on the Challenger. There are two issues which are:

The size of the inverter cannot handle everything in the coach. Thor has wired the coach so that only the refrigerator and television circuits are wired into the inverter. The justification for this, IMO, are the refrigerator needs power to stay cool when disconnected from shore power and the generator is not running and the televisions may be required for passengers while running down the road.

Second, the inverter is modified sine wave and some items require pure sine wave and not modified sine wave. Devices that tell time (eg digital clocks) or regulate heat (eg coffee pot, toaster, electric blanket) will generally require a pure sine wave inverter.

Hope this helps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

THOR #4032
Thank you for your insight....
Old 07-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You have the same inverter that is installed on the Challenger. There are two issues which are:

......cut....
Dave, as I recall reading your inverter doesn't have to be on when you are on shore power or when generator is on. If that's correct, do you know how the inverter is bypassed? Is there an internal transfer switch in inverter or is it done externally?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
I have used the inverter maybe 3 times in a year and a half while driving down the road (without generator running) to power outlets to charge phones and use a tv. Besides that, inverter has remained off. Other times driving, we have run generator to power whole rv.

We have not dry camped without generator/shore power so full use of inverter has not been used.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Dave, as I recall reading your inverter doesn't have to be on when you are on shore power or when generator is on. If that's correct, do you know how the inverter is bypassed? Is there an internal transfer switch in inverter or is it done externally?
Chance, it's simple. I turn the inverter power button off since the inverter is not needed on shore power or when the generator is running. The 1800 has a remote panel that is mounted in the cabinet above my entry door.

Now, if I elect to run the inverter while on shore power or with the generator the remote panel will tell me how much voltage is being supplied to the batteries during charging.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Correct me if I was mislead, but I was informed by Thor that 2016 and above Xantrex inverters are all true sine wave.

As for the original question, If you request the wiring diagram from Thor for your coach, you will see that only 5B receptacles (at least on Challenger 37LX) are connected to your inverter. Those are used for your refrigerator and televisions. You can wire additional receptacles but more than likely you would need a larger inverter and battery bank as the original design is only to support the refrigerator and occasional television use.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not all Xantrex Inverters are pure sine. If you have the Xantrex Pro 1800, which is installed on most Challengers, the inverter is modified sine wave.

If you have the Xantrex ProSine then it is a pure sine inverter.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #16

THOR #4160
I will be in Elkhart at Thor in about two weeks to pickup my coach. I will then be able to positively tell you after that. Keep my fingers crossed that Thor didn't lie to me because I don't want to have to replace yet another item.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
There is something in this thread I do not understand. That is running an RV refrigerator from an inverter. Every RV refrigerator I have owned or been around has been two way at least. Meaning that it will run off of 115 VAC or propane (with a small amount of 12 VDC for control circuitry). I had one that would also run off 12 VDC solely, but took a big toll on the batteries. Our 2017 Four Winds has the typical RV refrigerator in that (if the controls are set properly) it will switch automatically between 115 VAC and propane. Why would one want to run the refrigerator with an inverter when Propane is available?

Ken
Old 07-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #18

THOR #4160
Most new coaches are coming with residential refrigerators (AC only). Those coaches are usually designed with an inverter and battery bank large enough to support the refrigerator especially as energy efficient as they are. Many people in the RV industry believe that the days of dual and/or propane powered refrigerators are going away since they are a lot more bulky and maintenance intensive.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
There is something in this thread I do not understand. That is running an RV refrigerator from an inverter. Every RV refrigerator I have owned or been around has been two way at least. Meaning that it will run off of 115 VAC or propane (with a small amount of 12 VDC for control circuitry). I had one that would also run off 12 VDC solely, but took a big toll on the batteries. Our 2017 Four Winds has the typical RV refrigerator in that (if the controls are set properly) it will switch automatically between 115 VAC and propane. Why would one want to run the refrigerator with an inverter when Propane is available?

Ken
The original poster was talking about the outside refrigerator which is only a 2 cu ft that runs off the inverter
Old 07-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post
The original poster was talking about the outside refrigerator which is only a 2 cu ft that runs off the inverter
Thanks, now I get it.

Ken

PS I will keep to myself my opinions of outdoor kitchens that you can't set on a picnic table.