Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ace 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #8285
ace 30.1 newbie misc tech q's

1. does anyone know the unloaded vehicle weight(UVW) of an ace?
2. what is the best product under a $1000 for improving steering/stability? i've read that the steering problem is due to too much weight on the f53 chassis, hence the reason for q1.
3. is it possible to remove that tv connector block behind the tv to bypass the over the air antenna in favor of a straight cable and satellite hook up?

thanks much

Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
2. what is the best product under a $1000 for improving steering/stability? i've read that the steering problem is due to too much weight on the f53 chassis, hence the reason for q1.
3. is it possible to remove that tv connector block behind the tv to bypass the over the air antenna in favor of a straight cable and satellite hook up?

thanks much
We have a 2017 ACE 30.1 and can answer a couple of your questions

1. Never weighed ours, so I'm not sure of the weight

2. F-53 chassis just handle bad and Ford/Thor don't do anything to improve it I've added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, a SuperSteer rear track bar and swapped out the OEM Bilsteins for KONI FSD shocks. The track bar was probably the biggest bang for the buck followed by the KONI's. Safe-T-Plus is difficult to quantify, but I look at it as more of a safety item to help keep the coach under control if we have a blow out. Track bar and KONI's were done at the same time and made a massive difference in handling. I'm also thinking about adding Sumo Springs, which take you well beyoud $1000. Also make sure you get the ACE aligned as we had a poorly aligned coach as picked up from the dealer

Costs for me (Installed everything myself)

Safe-T-Plus - $550, including mounting kit
Super Steer Track Bar - $525
KONI shocks - $358

If I go with Sumo Springs its going to be about $900 for the material and probably $200-$300 installation. Thats too big of a job for me.

3. We removed the amplifier and replaced it with a Winegard video distribution switch. This switch is no longer made but I found one on eBay that was new in the packaging. We found that the OEM amplifier had a bad coax connector on the cable input and we had to do a lot of wiggling to get a clean signal.

The distribution box has 6 coax inputs and can handle up 3 TV's plus a "VCR" output (dates it). The antenna input has amplifier power. It takes 12volts which I've tapped off of the awning circuit and run up the coat closet to the TV cabinet. I also have a 300 watt inverter to run the TV, DVD player and. Apple TV. The attached picture shows an in-progress installation. I've cleaned up the cable routing and built a small shelf for the distribution switch so I have room under for other stuff. Also installed 90 degree coax connectors so I don't have to deal with the bend radius of the coax. I removed the OEM amplifier switch and splitter that was stuffed behind it. Each cable was extended with a coax connector and short jumpers. I can now switch any input to any TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3366.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	5758  
Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We have a 2017 ACE 30.1 and can answer a couple of your questions

1. Never weighed ours, so I'm not sure of the weight

2. F-53 chassis just handle bad and Ford/Thor don't do anything to improve it I've added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, a SuperSteer rear track bar and swapped out the OEM Bilsteins for KONI FSD shocks. The track bar was probably the biggest bang for the buck followed by the KONI's. Safe-T-Plus is difficult to quantify, but I look at it as more of a safety item to help keep the coach under control if we have a blow out. Track bar and KONI's were done at the same time and made a massive difference in handling. I'm also thinking about adding Sumo Springs, which take you well beyoud $1000. Also make sure you get the ACE aligned as we had a poorly aligned coach as picked up from the dealer

Costs for me (Installed everything myself)

Safe-T-Plus - $550, including mounting kit
Super Steer Track Bar - $525
KONI shocks - $358

If I go with Sumo Springs its going to be about $900 for the material and probably $200-$300 installation. Thats too big of a job for me.

3. We removed the amplifier and replaced it with a Winegard video distribution switch. This switch is no longer made but I found one on eBay that was new in the packaging. We found that the OEM amplifier had a bad coax connector on the cable input and we had to do a lot of wiggling to get a clean signal.

The distribution box has 6 coax inputs and can handle up 3 TV's plus a "VCR" output (dates it). The antenna input has amplifier power. It takes 12volts which I've tapped off of the awning circuit and run up the coat closet to the TV cabinet. I also have a 300 watt inverter to run the TV, DVD player and. Apple TV. The attached picture shows an in-progress installation. I've cleaned up the cable routing and built a small shelf for the distribution switch so I have room under for other stuff. Also installed 90 degree coax connectors so I don't have to deal with the bend radius of the coax. I removed the OEM amplifier switch and splitter that was stuffed behind it. Each cable was extended with a coax connector and short jumpers. I can now switch any input to any TV.
Denver,
You seem very handy with a wrench. I would suggest starting only with front sumos. I just installed mine. 1 1/2 hour job which included clean up. Very easy install. The rears are more difficult but with your rear track bar i bet they are not needed.
Just something for you to think about.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
If there is any way you can drive your model with the suspension add-ons I highly encourage you to do so. They are not the cure-all some would have you think. I have over $3000 in mods to my 30.1 that the previous owner had installed and I find very little difference (if any) to mine and my son-in-laws coach. His is exactly the same as mine right down to the tires, but without any mods. What did make a difference in mine was 3000 miles of driving it and learning how it handles. It now drives like a car minus the fact you have to be 100% alert all the time. As I always say though... each to their own.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley patton View Post

thanks much
The cheapest mod you can do is the chf, it's free and makes a big difference in handling. Halfprice (Jerry) has made most all the suspension mods available, I would certainly take his advice when it comes to handling.

I think Jerry has said several times chf and Safe T Plus should be the first two mods you should make and then go from there.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #6

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
ACE mods

I have a 2017 ACE 30.3
I just had my MH weighed a CAT scale in May while on a trip.
Now, my unit was loaded for a trip with full fuel, 1/2 tank of fresh water, empty holding tanks and two people plus 3 dogs on board
My total gross weight was 16760 lbs
Steer axle was 6180 lbs
Drive axle was 10580 lbs

The best mods I have done to enhance the ride and handling of my MH were:

1. CHF-no cost, did it myself
2. Front end alignment- 200.00
3. Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer- 360.00, installed myself
4. Sumo springs all for corners- 450.00 front installed myself. 450.00 rear plus
300.00 for installation. Sumo total was 1200.00
The handling and ride improvement has been quite dramatic! I now can drive the MH for hours, one handed and relaxed. The MH handles stiff crosswinds and semi blow by much better now!

I think I will install some Koni shocks at some point, but for now I love how my rig handles!

Steven B.
S/W Florida
2017 ACE 30.3
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Denver,
You seem very handy with a wrench. I would suggest starting only with front sumos. I just installed mine. 1 1/2 hour job which included clean up. Very easy install. The rears are more difficult but with your rear track bar i bet they are not needed.
Just something for you to think about.

Jerry
Jerry,

You are going to get me into trouble. I saw your posts on your Sumo Spring installation and given enough high alloy bits, I think I could do the fronts. We won't talk about the incident when I lost control of one of the track bar brackets and while I was directly under it. Nice bump and minor cut on the forehead. Disproportional panic from the wife as you know how even a minor a head cut can bleed.

I built a couple of ramps (plans found on a forum) to raise the body from 2 x 12's which would also likely be useful in installing the Sumo's, at least the leaf spring end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	5780  
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #971
I did the chf on two of my coaches now and you will see an I prob meant on the front role of the coach ad the road master rear sway bar and the safe T steer and you will be driving down the road drinking a coffee lol