Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 02:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #19662
AGM battery charger

My new (to me) 2017 Hurricane 35M had almost dry, flooded lead acid batteries so I installed new AGM batteries. Will they charge correctly by the alternator when moving and shore power when parked?

Old 05-02-2021, 02:40 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstaples View Post
My new (to me) 2017 Hurricane 35M had almost dry, flooded lead acid batteries so I installed new AGM batteries. Will they charge correctly by the alternator when moving and shore power when parked?
Yes. They are still lead acid batteries as far as the chemistry is concerned. The only caution is they never need to be equalized and the absorption cycle may take a little longer because of the speed of the ion flow through the glass mat goo.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:40 AM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Assuming you have a Thor standard WFCO converter/charger...
- the short answer is yes
That said, based on member comments on the Forum...you will optimize your AGM battery charge capacity by upgrading to a Progressive Dynamics adjustable converter/charger specifically designed for AGM or more high performance batteries.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstaples View Post
Yes on both counts. Unless you have money during a hole in your pocket, stay with what you have until it is time to change something out.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:12 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Assuming you have a Thor standard WFCO converter/charger...
- the short answer is yes
That said, based on member comments on the Forum...you will optimize your AGM battery charge capacity by upgrading to a Progressive Dynamics adjustable converter/charger specifically designed for AGM or more high performance batteries.
True, that Trojan AGMs recommend a adsorption voltage of 2.35- 2.45 volts per cell while the WFCO converter puts out only 14.4 volts which is what most manufactures of AGMs recommend. The PD converter has two AGM settings AGM1 and AGM2. The last time I checked AGM2 was recommend for Trojan AGMs only. AGM1 is 14.4 volts and AGM2 is 14.6 volts. Just saying.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:50 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Which AGMs did you buy? That does make a difference. You may wish to reach out to Mfg who can tell you if your converter / charger is compatible. Then again, if you have already bought the batteries I think you go with what you got until you encounter a problem.

I have a Progressive Dynamics Converter / Charger in my 2019 unit, but I am not aware of ANY adjustable setting? There is a built-in Charge Wizard which is a microprocessor-controlled system that constantly monitors the battery voltage and ensures a rapid; yet, safe, recharge. The Charge Wizard can select one of three charging voltages and one of four operating modes depending on the condition and use of the battery. It is all automatic. I spoke with Progressive Dynamics and VMax Batteries before buying my Pure Deep Cycle AGMs. There was nothing to change from FLA to my AGMs.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...vertercharger/
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I am not aware of any RV converter made that has a specific AGM setting, including the Progressive Dymamics PD 4655. I have read WFCO's, PD's and Go Power's operational instructions and I don't see anything about an AGM setting although GP lets you manually set the charging voltage.

Why is this when even $15 solar controllers have settings for FLA, AGM and GEL batteries. Heck even Go Power's solar controller has such settings, but their converters don't.

Are we RVers so dumb that we don't know the difference and accept stupid converters that only have a single charging parameter. I can assure you that the boating owners don't accept such chargers. Yes AGMs do have different charging parameters than FLAs for best life and performance.

David
Old 05-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I am not aware of any RV converter made that has a specific AGM setting, including the Progressive Dymamics PD 4655. I have read WFCO's, PD's and Go Power's operational instructions and I don't see anything about an AGM setting although GP lets you manually set the charging voltage.

Why is this when even $15 solar controllers have settings for FLA, AGM and GEL batteries. Heck even Go Power's solar controller has such settings, but their converters don't.

Are we RVers so dumb that we don't know the difference and accept stupid converters that only have a single charging parameter. I can assure you that the boating owners don't accept such chargers. Yes AGMs do have different charging parameters than FLAs for best life and performance.

David
I don't feel as if my PD has a single charging parameter. In fact not only does it have multiples, but it has an advanced computer microprocessor that monitors the battery. Best way to explain what the PD does is to read and understand what the Charge Wizard does (see below or link to full manual). Vmax tanks will void the warranty if you do not use a proper charger. When I called them to verify, my PD charger I learned that the Microprocessor / Charge Wizard is all I need. While we are at it, Onan says their EC-30 is similar. In automatic mode; the EC-30 actually learns how the battery is used and will adjust the bars for auto start voltage and auto stop voltage. It has nothing to do with the actual charging, but to do with when Onan thinks you need to have your converter/charger on. A perfect example is that for whatever reason when I had my factory FLA (which worked when I took them out) my AGS when set to Quiet time of 10:00 PM would come on every night at 8:00 PM sharp to get the charger to top off the batteries. But with my new AGMs, thus far it has only come on once to top off the batteries, I suspect it was in the 12.4 vdc range. Last night my AGMs hit 12.9 vdc and was at 12.8 vdc this morning. At the end of Quiet time 8:00 AM the EC-30 still has not told the generator to come on Of course if genset were running, or on shore power the PD Charge wizard would safely adjust the stages for batteries as required.

So in summary I don't see it so much as thinking RVer's are dumb, but in my case I think in most situations to be worry free, trouble free, and real peace of mind; it smart if you are able to have true Pure Deep Cycle AGMs (Not dual purpose), a PD Converter Charger or similar, and a AGS EC-30 if you have an Onan genset, or similar.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...al-english.pdf

Note: I don't have ANY Solar, nor any plans to get solar; although I do have the VMax Tanks 125ah Solar Batteries. I would be very interested to learn why, or what that FLA / AGM / Gel switch you refer to actually does in a Solar Controller? In my research, short getting them for free, or some incredibly low price, I saw no advantage to ever buy Gel cell batteries? I suspect my next set of batteries in 6 - 8 years will be Lithium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter Charge Wizard.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	30192  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I would be very interested to learn why, or what that FLA / AGM / Gel switch you refer to actually does in a Solar Controller? In my research, short getting them for free, or some incredibly low price, I saw no advantage to ever buy Gel cell batteries? I suspect my next set of batteries in 6 - 8 years will be Lithium.
The Go Power solar controller has a button that you can select the type of battery it is charging: FLA, AGM or Gel and it displays those terms when selected. Each type of battery has a slightly different (well quite a bit different for Gels) charging voltage requirements.

If you use a Gel battery with a simple, one solution fits all charger, then you will seriously impact its life. Less so with AGMs.

David
Old 05-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The Go Power solar controller has a button that you can select the type of battery it is charging: FLA, AGM or Gel and it displays those terms when selected. Each type of battery has a slightly different (well quite a bit different for Gels) charging voltage requirements.

If you use a Gel battery with a simple, one solution fits all charger, then you will seriously impact its life. Less so with AGMs.

David
I guess the question was what does the Go Power solar controller change when you switch from FLA, AGM, or Gel? I provided what the PD Converter does based on monitoring battery voltage and time; be it a 12v or 24v system.

You state "Each type of battery has a slightly different (well quite a bit different for Gels) charging voltage requirements."

Isn't that true within a battery type and the various Mfgs?

i.e. Vmax says for bulk / absorption 14.4v-14.9v, for float 13.5v - 13.7v. Windy Nation, Trojan, Duracell may say something slightly different for their AGM. The PD Charge Wizard is a documented fixed output based on actual battery voltage readings; which is independent of the type of battery or Mfg. It not only does that; but goes further by detecting the differences based on usage, or lack thereof; between float and storage, it has special parameters for Storage and given that it is in Storage it has another parameter special that is called Equalize that will switch to 14.4v every 21 hours for 15 minutes to prevent stratification, sulfation, and loss of battery capacity.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #11

THOR #13058
I just looked up Go Power's manual out of curiosity of the switch setting.

The float charge is the same whether Sealed/Gel, AGM or FLA.

The difference is Bulk Absorption is dropped to 14.1vdc for Gel batteries. Note: Bulk Absorption is the same for AGM/FLA of 14.4vdc

... and the Go Power only supports Equalization for FLA once every 28 days as it's only stated intent is to reduce sulfation. The PD Dynamics run Equalization every 21 hours for 15 min to eliminate sulfation, stratification and to prevent loss of battery capacity.

Note: The Go Power has footnote that says select the profile based on Mfg recommendations (NOT necessarily based on battery type). I would NOT be surprised that if I were to ask VMax tank which profile I should use for the Go Power Solar Controller given the SLR 125ash AGM batteries I bought that they may for me to use the FLA setting to get what little I could of Equalization.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Go Pro Profile.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	30200  
Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
All major batteries have spec sheets

Get a copy and set up the charger accordingly