Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: LH26
State: Arizona
THOR #21804
Air infiltration

Hello fellow Thor Class C owners. I just purchase my first Class C Motor Coach. To this point I've only owned bumper pulls and 5th wheels. Wanting to downsize and pull my Jeep Wrangler JK we opted to buy a 2021 Thor LH26. So far we really like the rig. However, we have been traveling during a cold spell and find there is more than appreciated cold air coming in to the coach both when travel and set up. Seems to be from the skylight area in the front cap and where the E450 cab joins the living area at the floor. Other than a few other minor things I need to get fixed by the dealer, it has been a great rig/experience so far. I'm just wondering if any one else has experienced this and if so, did you find a fix or is it just a normal occurrence with the Class C body style?

Appreciate any information you might be able to share!

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-13-2021, 12:36 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That should not be normal. None of my prior class c coaches had that issue, but they weren't Thors either.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You need to do some research. If there is actual airflow through the roof/ceiling then there also will be water - or the potential for it and that’s very bad! I’d wander around with a lit candle on a windy day and see if there is any flicker of wind. If so get to the outside of the area and inspect it very carefully so that you can seal up any suspect areas. Too few people know that you need to inspect and reseal at least a couple of times a year. I do it every few months and rarely fail to find something to address. Catch it early!!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:56 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 30D
State: Washington
THOR #21409
I had squeaking from movement between the cab and the coach on my 2018 Thor Four Winds so dropped the upholstery and found that they used Styrofoam blocks in the upholstering. The bolts were loose so I put star lock washers on them and reinstalled them - after resealing the entire area where the cab an coach met because you could see daylight and feel wind blowing through there. Because it's so easy to drop the cab ceiling upholstery to get the access you need I went ahead and reassembled it after resealing it and putting some rubber between the Styrofoam and the cab metal so I could see whether that would do the job. We drove it about 10 miles and it was quiet as a mouse, so we'll see how it holds up. To reseal it I pulled all of the bolts and ran a heavy bead of siliconized acrylic caulk (not to be confused with silicone caulk!) between the sheet metal of the cab and the fiberglass of the coach, and then reinstalled the bolts that I had added star type lock washers to. I didn't set out to fix any air drafts but man did sealing that gap make a big difference. Just another example of good products suffering from poor workmanship. It's all fixable though.

Here's a photo where you can see the screws around the cutout and the white Styrofoam sitting up on top of the mats.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #5

Model: LH26
State: Arizona
THOR #21804
Thank you for the feedback. I have the Motorhome at the dealer to take care of some warranty work. They are going to take a look and see what they can find with the air infiltration also. Hope to have it back next week in preparation for our next trip.

On another note I want to give some kudos to the Thor Motor Coach staff/representatives. After my original post hit the site I almost immediately received an email and a phone call from them. Had a great conversation and the team reps (Derrick in particular) were great (and patient) with me as I had several questions being new to Motorhome ownership! (have always had pre-owned bumper pulls and 5th wheels in the past.

Long story short, highly recommend anyone out there with a problem concerning a Thor product.....give them a call.

I try to follow up with resolution(s) for the air issue once we figure it out!

You all be safe out there!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #6

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Life View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I have the Motorhome at the dealer to take care of some warranty work. They are going to take a look and see what they can find with the air infiltration also. Hope to have it back next week in preparation for our next trip.

On another note I want to give some kudos to the Thor Motor Coach staff/representatives. After my original post hit the site I almost immediately received an email and a phone call from them. Had a great conversation and the team reps (Derrick in particular) were great (and patient) with me as I had several questions being new to Motorhome ownership! (have always had pre-owned bumper pulls and 5th wheels in the past.

Long story short, highly recommend anyone out there with a problem concerning a Thor product.....give them a call.

I try to follow up with resolution(s) for the air issue once we figure it out!

You all be safe out there!

Nice to hear a positive report - for a change. When I had my Thor I found them to be very helpful and responsive as well. Enjoy your travels!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #6333
Our class c skylight was not sealed in place. Was on the roof during dealer inspection and just happened to reach down and lift a corner. The whole skylight came out. Looked at the overhead cushions and could see slight water stains throughout. Dealer had an auto windshield person come in and seal it.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:24 AM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncii View Post
Our class c skylight was not sealed in place. Was on the roof during dealer inspection and just happened to reach down and lift a corner. The whole skylight came out. Looked at the overhead cushions and could see slight water stains throughout. Dealer had an auto windshield person come in and seal it.

Wow! Good catch.