Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7805
Air suspension and leveling

We bought a 2013 40 ft Tuscany in June 2017. Been full timers for 2 years and I'm still learning about the rig. Saw the suspension air panel in the lower left of driver's area. Has a lever and 2 settings: auto and lower. It's been in auto since we took possession. Looked thru the manuals (previous owner kept ALL the books) and found nothing. Went to Google and it took me to Thor Forum. Lots of posts by knowledgeable folks.

From what I read and understand here's the process when we pull into a site:
1. Engine running, brake on, in neutral.
2. Move suspension air lever from auto to lower. This should dump the air bags and lower the rig.
3. Once rig is lowered use Ultra Level to level the rig. There is setting that dumps the air bags automatically but obviously this isn't happening.
4. Once the jacks are down and the rig is leveled, go ahead and extend the slide outs, connect power, water, sewer, etc, and have a beer.

When it's time to go:
1. Retract the slide outs, disconnect everything.
2. Start engine, brake on, in neutral.
3. Retract jacks.
4. Move suspension air lever from lower to auto. This should inflate bags and raise rig.
5. Do walk around and drive away.

Appreciate any comments, especially if I left something out or did something stupid.
Stay safe, wash your hands, and thanks,
Larry

Old 04-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
We have a Aria but it sounds like you have a good handle - couple of suggestions below:

2. Move suspension air lever from auto to lower. This should dump the air bags and lower the rig.
3. Once rig is lowered use Ultra Level to level the rig. There is setting that dumps the air bags automatically but obviously this isn't happening. (doesn't happen on the Aria either)

We connect the 50 amp power before extending slide outs.

4. Once the jacks are down and the rig is leveled, go ahead and extend the slide outs, connect power, water, sewer, etc, and have a beer.

When it's time to go:

3. Retract jacks.
4. Move suspension air lever from lower to auto. This should inflate bags and raise rig.

Good luck and congratulations on your new rig!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Interesting that you can retract the slides without the engine running

also the air should automatically dump, try manual level and see if it won't automatically dump
Old 11-21-2023, 04:35 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #31333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhamm View Post
We bought a 2013 40 ft Tuscany in June 2017. Been full timers for 2 years and I'm still learning about the rig. Saw the suspension air panel in the lower left of driver's area. Has a lever and 2 settings: auto and lower. It's been in auto since we took possession. Looked thru the manuals (previous owner kept ALL the books) and found nothing. Went to Google and it took me to Thor Forum. Lots of posts by knowledgeable folks.

3. Once rig is lowered use Ultra Level to level the rig. There is setting that dumps the air bags automatically but obviously this isn't happening.

When it's time to go:
3. Retract jacks.

Appreciate any comments, especially if I left something out or did something stupid.
Larry
Can you send me a photo of auto/lower lever because a don't find it on mind
Old 11-21-2023, 05:18 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhamm View Post

When it's time to go:
3. Retract jacks.

Larry
Not sure when the panel was discontinued but nothing like that on my 2016. the air bags automatically dump when you start either auto or manual level.

When you release the parking brake the air bags should inflate and if you put it in drive if they aren't inflated they definitely should then.

Most of us with larger coaches use manual level to save time and stay closer to the ground. Faster as well.

Otherwise sounds like you have it down.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:05 PM   #6

Model: Aria 4000
State: Illinois
THOR #31535
Hello, and Happy New Year !,

New owner of 2021 Aria 4000.

I noticed that when retracting, the hydraulic legs tend to "dump" rapidly causing the rig to violently ( at least by my standards) thump as it drops to the ground.

I haven't tested it, but wonder if loading the suspension first before auto retracting would make the difference ?
Anyone tried it ?
Old 01-06-2024, 11:57 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
My Tuscany I leave the airbags in auto and have never had the need to change it, every thing you do before is correct as per my manual and what I do as well, when I use auto level the air bags automatically deflate albeit a little slower, and yes you can either plug in to shore power or leave engine runnings as the leveling system won’t release the interlocks unless It sees 13+ volts, I personally just leave engine running as it is less trips in and out of mh.