Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Another Inverter Question (or two)

I'd like to add an inverter to the Chateau just to run the TV, the occasional blender and ideally, a small heater.
My plan would be to wire it directly to the two house batteries under the stairs and then secure the inverter in the space behind the chair next to the entry door.
I'm not interested in connecting to the existing electric system as that greatly complicates things - for me. I'll just use an extension cord for now.

1. Any comments as to brands and sizes to consider or stay away from?
I am looking at this one: https://www.ampeak.com/ivufa2000.

and
2. How long would this inverter run a 1500 watt space heater before running down the batteries? Batteries are new this year and let's assume that they are fully charged to start.
Thank you.
James

Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You would be lucky to get 30 minutes of heater running time from a couple of lead acid batteries. A simple approximation of DC input in amps to the inverter is 1/10 of the inverter output in watts to an appliance. But that 150 amps will pull the batteries down as they are rated at 1/20 amphour draw and 150 is almost ten times as much which probably pulls then down as if it were a 500 amp draw.

The TV would work fine depending on size. I had a 19" LCD TV that pulled 4 amps DC but yours is probably bigger, so maybe 6 amps or so. You could watch TV for 15 hours before you got down to 50% of your battery capacity which is the limit for decent life. A blender is very short usage so no problem with that either.

But forget the heater, use the propane furnace which itself pulls about 4 amps DC to run the blower. That will give you about 24 hours of use with your batteries but I bet you will be cycling at maybe 25% so up to 100 hours of furnace use on your batteries.

David
Old 11-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
You would be lucky to get 30 minutes of heater running time from a couple of lead acid batteries. A simple approximation of DC input in amps to the inverter is 1/10 of the inverter output in watts to an appliance. But that 150 amps will pull the batteries down as they are rated at 1/20 amphour draw and 150 is almost ten times as much which probably pulls then down as if it were a 500 amp draw.

The TV would work fine depending on size. I had a 19" LCD TV that pulled 4 amps DC but yours is probably bigger, so maybe 6 amps or so. You could watch TV for 15 hours before you got down to 50% of your battery capacity which is the limit for decent life. A blender is very short usage so no problem with that either.

But forget the heater, use the propane furnace which itself pulls about 4 amps DC to run the blower. That will give you about 24 hours of use with your batteries but I bet you will be cycling at maybe 25% so up to 100 hours of furnace use on your batteries.

David
Owned an EV for a few years and the largest draw on the battery was the very cold weather, the battery has its own heater as well

Going to be many years before we heat much with batteries however they might power very efficient DC heat pumps successfully a little later on
Old 11-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Just a bump to this thread.
I am ready to pull the trigger on this inverter but would
love some feed back on this brand (Ampeak) or recommendation
of another brand to consider.

Thank you.
James
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Can't help on SOB but have had great success with Magnums
Old 11-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
There is a huge range of pricing and probably quality for inverters. First look for a pure sine wave (PSW) inverter. Your TV may not run with a modified sine wave (MSW) one.

All I can say is that here are some name brand inverters that have stood the test of time. Others like the Chinese made Ampeak may be ok or may not be.

Victron
Magnum
ProMariner
Xantrex

The first two are my favorites, but expensive.

David