Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7060
Attaching sewer hose

We have a Vegas 24.1 2015, the sewer hose is awfully low, husband had a rough time attaching the hose. He finally got the clear elbow on and was able to attach the plug. Now when we have to dump the black tank we won't have to contort ourselves to do the job. Any suggestions for an alternative? Thanks to all

Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah its down there.

Did you know that the sewer outlet rotates. You can move it to make things easier.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonm View Post
We have a Vegas 24.1 2015, the sewer hose is awfully low, husband had a rough time attaching the hose. He finally got the clear elbow on and was able to attach the plug. Now when we have to dump the black tank we won't have to contort ourselves to do the job. Any suggestions for an alternative? Thanks to all
Don't feel bad.... the fact that the sewer dump rotates (hard to do at first...) was not explained to us during our PDI either.... also didn't show us that the sharp self tapping screws below the dump will cut the holy crap out of your hands, so be careful and replace them with nuts and bolts as soon as you can.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #4

THOR #7060
Thank you so much!
Old 05-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Earl, I saw your mention of those sharp screws before. I'll bet you are screwing the cap on that sewer hose opening on from the bottom. If you would screw it on from the inside, you'll never get near those sharp screws.

I was under our Vegas earlier this week, and found the same sharp screw ends. I've had that cap on and off dozens of times and never knew that. I covered those screws with a dollop of silicone.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
When you reach in under the bottom to attach the clear elbow and sewer hose, the sharp pointed screws will put a hurt on you regardless of how the hose opening cover is screwed on.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Thumbs up

Thought I had the same problem with our 2017 Vegas. Took it to the dealership and they agreed it was a problem. Then they re-plumbed the whole works so the outlet faced down. Couple weeks later I read on the forum that the dang thing rotated ! At first I felt kind of stupid then I thought wait a minute the dealership had no clue either. Made me feel much better lol. Now I just keep up on the forum for any problems and fixes.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:50 AM   #8

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Earl, I saw your mention of those sharp screws before. I'll bet you are screwing the cap on that sewer hose opening on from the bottom. If you would screw it on from the inside, you'll never get near those sharp screws.

I was under our Vegas earlier this week, and found the same sharp screw ends. I've had that cap on and off dozens of times and never knew that. I covered those screws with a dollop of silicone.
Yes, I thought about that.... just not much room between the sewer pipes and the cover receptacle for my comfort. Too late... I am a total putterer, so all those sharp screws were replaced with stainless bolts, lock washers and nuts. All is well.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:09 AM   #9

THOR #7060
You all are so helpful, nobody said anything about it rotating, I'll pass all this info on to my husband, thank you again so much
Old 05-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #10

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonm View Post
You all are so helpful, nobody said anything about it rotating, I'll pass all this info on to my husband, thank you again so much
Takes a bit of muscle to turn it but that is really how it is designed....
Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #11

THOR #7060
I just told my husband, he's going to give it a try in the morning
Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I had no clue about being able to rotate the outlet either, until I read about it on this forum several months ago. That being said, even after rotating the valve, it's still rather difficult to hook up to one of my 2 sewer outlets.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
Can the tanks be dumped through the door instead of down the hole? It takes me a very long time to get down and hook up through the bottom hole and even longer to get back up.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
Can the tanks be dumped through the door instead of down the hole? It takes me a very long time to get down and hook up through the bottom hole and even longer to get back up.
I hear you - lots of creaking noises from the knees getting back up! You can dump through the door, but I am almost always at a full hookup site and like to leave the grey water valves open throughout my stay, so I don't want to leave the bay doors open with the hoses attached.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #15

THOR #3483
This appears to be one of the small negatives about the design of the "recreational utility vehicle", i.e., Axis/Vegas. Those F53 based rigs sit up much higher and also have the more intricate sewer dump systems with the hose wash out option, etc. The E450 chassis sits lower, therefore probably drives better but then causes the sewer to be closer to the ground. This makes the process a bit of a pain on the knees. I'm learning to take some of the minor negatives in stride.