Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Atwood furnace thermostat

During the winterization I manually switched the bedroom furnace to the off position. When I did, it was a little difficult and I had to push it to the right a little hard. Now I can’t seem to get the switch to go back into the on position. I don’t want to break it by forcing too hard. Is there a trick to it - pulling forward - backward?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82E1230A-4714-4308-ABB5-F40DDA229B03.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	21403  

Old 11-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
According to the attached link the hard to operate on/off switch on this thermostat seems to be a common problem. Looking at post #4 there is an internal diagram of this thermostat which looks to be the same unit as what you have posted. Since they don't really solve the problem other than by replacing the analog with a new digital thermostat, I would suggest carefully removing the faceplate of the thermostat and see if you can determine what the on off switch is binding on internally. It is possible that the wall mounting screws (especially the one near the on/off switch) are so tight from the factory that they somehow distort the body plastic of the thermostat and bind the movable arm of the on/off switch. Or it could already be broken or jammed with some other broken plastic bits or construction debris.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/...uestion.99285/
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #3

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
According to the attached link the hard to operate on/off switch on this thermostat seems to be a common problem. Looking at post #4 there is an internal diagram of this thermostat which looks to be the same unit as what you have posted. Since they don't really solve the problem other than by replacing the analog with a new digital thermostat, I would suggest carefully removing the faceplate of the thermostat and see if you can determine what the on off switch is binding on internally. It is possible that the wall mounting screws (especially the one near the on/off switch) are so tight from the factory that they somehow distort the body plastic of the thermostat and bind the movable arm of the on/off switch. Or it could already be broken or jammed with some other broken plastic bits or construction debris.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/...uestion.99285/
Thanks!
Yep - that’s mine and they’re having the same issue as I am. I’ve got to go outside tomorrow with my glasses, a screwdriver and a flashlight.
I’ll take the cover off and take a good look-see.
I posted a rookie question a few days ago about replacing it with a programmable digital one.

It’s amazing - with what they charge for these RVs you’d think they’d put in a programmable one in the bedrooms. Geesch....
Old 11-13-2019, 12:48 AM   #4

THOR #17154
Found the manual...

I found a detailed manual - not on Thor or Atwood site...

It appears that you may not want to replace the supplied one. The manual lists a delaying mechanism in the supplied thermostat that’s likely not available in an aftermarket one. Here’s the relevant page from the manual. I plan to call Atwood and ask specifically whether it can be replaced.

Here’s the link to the detailed manual that talks about all the functions...

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BABA90F1-6464-4274-B2B2-76BDE37BE19F.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	21412  
Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
By delay device on the Analog thermostat.....do you mean the anticipator adjustment? Digital Thermostats usually don't need them because they are quite accurate within a degree of setting typically......whereas the analog swings a few degrees and the anticipator allows the furnace burner to be shut off just prior to reaching the set temperature theoretically. That's why folks like Digital (and you actually know where your temp is at).

I just noted that the manual shows what looks like a facsimile of your thermostat mounted upside down with on/off on the bottom. It would be crazy if Thor was mounting these thermostats upside down and in doing so, it somehow caused the on/off switches to be hard to move (gravity clip was jamming the switch?). The thermo faceplate would have to go on so it's readable of course......but can the on/off and temp adjustment slots be used the other way as well? Just doing a "what if" here......
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #6

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
By delay device on the Analog thermostat.....do you mean the anticipator adjustment?

Not sure - just going by the 4th bullet. These things are foreign to me...
Old 11-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Not sure - just going by the 4th bullet. These things are foreign to me...
That's not a "delay", that's a bandwidth adjustment that sets the spread between the temperature the heater cycles off at (high end) and when it comes back on again (low end). This function is builtin to a digital thermostat.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Thanks!
Yep - that’s mine and they’re having the same issue as I am. I’ve got to go outside tomorrow with my glasses, a screwdriver and a flashlight.
I’ll take the cover off and take a good look-see.
I posted a rookie question a few days ago about replacing it with a programmable digital one.

It’s amazing - with what they charge for these RVs you’d think they’d put in a programmable one in the bedrooms. Geesch....
I have never understand the use of a programmable T-stat in an RV. Home yes. I have one. People coming and going the same time every day. But an RV? Seriously? Digital yes for accuracy but not programmable. Not so much.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I have never understand the use of a programmable T-stat in an RV. Home yes. I have one. People coming and going the same time every day. But an RV? Seriously? Digital yes for accuracy but not programmable. Not so much.
I’m thinking programmable more for sleeping. Let it cool down during the night but waking up toasty warm.

And digital for accuracy.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Model: Thor Freedom Elite 24HE
State: Vermont
THOR #15420
The first thing I would do is ,take the cover off and see if something in holding the switch arm ..Got to be something catching it
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #11

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
The first thing I would do is ,take the cover off and see if something in holding the switch arm ..Got to be something catching it
Did that. Nothing really - just way hard to push the switch back to the on position. I ended up taking the cover off and using the tip of my knife to gently “force” the bottom back. Works - but pretty inconvenient. Really making a programmable / digital replacement look likely.

Tags
furnace, newbie