Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #3993
Auto Enable

I can't find any documentation on how to make sure the auto-enable is working with the generator.

I've pushed the test button, the green light comes on, the generator starts, runs a few minutes and shuts down... Is it enables now to start when the batteries are low or if the electric goes out?

I've also tried the above and then hit the up position that says enable... Is that what should be done?

Finally, I've run lights and Televisions etc until the warning beeper goes off but the generator doesn't start?

How do you make sure this is working. I have pets and I want to know that in the summer of the AC is running and the power goes out that the auto enabler with start the generator.

Does anybody know how to ensure this and make sure it is running correctly? And do you know where there is any information on the "how to do it" aspect. Not just that the rig can do it.

Thanks for any and all input!
Chris

Old 05-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You need to set the controls on the AGS Module. You should have setting for voltage, temp, quiet hours etc...

See attached

AGS_data_sheet_revc.pdf
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

THOR #3993
Yes these controls are set. But what is the procedure to making sure it is working. That is will actually auto start. Our batteries get low and the meter on the wall starts beeping, but the generator doesn't kick on... How do I ensure it will kick on?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

THOR #3993
Maybe the auto start setting for voltage is much lower that the meter beeper warning... Hmm I'll have to check that.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsempeel View Post
Yes these controls are set. But what is the procedure to making sure it is working. That is will actually auto start. Our batteries get low and the meter on the wall starts beeping, but the generator doesn't kick on... How do I ensure it will kick on?
If the batteries are low and the generator does not start it sounds like the AGS is not set correctly. The Xantrex inverter for instance will shut off at a voltage higher than the minimum on the AGS so it is possible for the inverter to shutdown for low voltage before the AGS would start the generator.

You have to set the conditions for testing. For instance if the AGS start temp is set to 65 degrees then when the inside temp exceeds that the gen should auto start and run the AC if it is turned on. Once that is tested then you can set the temp auto start to a higher temp if desired. you can artificially raise the interior temp by running the furnace and see if the AGS will start the generator.

For voltage the Xantrex Pro 1800 sounds an alarm at 11VDC and then shuts down at 10.5VDC. You can set the AGS to auto start the generator slightly higher than 11VDC to have it come on before the 11VDC alarm. If the inverter shuts down at the 10.5VDC mark it will not turn back on until the batteries are charged to 12VDC.

There is no electronic control panel where the push of a button will run a self test of the system. The test button simply indicates the AGS is connected and will start the generator. You have to set the other parameters for operation.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #6

THOR #3993
Thank you! That totally cleared up all my questions.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #7

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Will the generator of a 2016 axis come on automaticly if you turn the air on?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Will the generator of a 2016 axis come on automaticly if you turn the air on?
It shouldn't.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #9

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Is the only way to turn it on is with the switch above door
Old 05-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Hugh,

There are other ways it can be done through an Automatic Generator Start system but the coach has to be configured with that system. Without an AGS in most cases the only way to start the generator is with the one or two switches installed (2 on my coach) or manually on the generator itself.

There are Onan and after market systems that can be installed. Attached is the info for an Onan system and you can also search for Magnum AGS if so desired.

f-1824.pdf
FMCA - F432054