Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2022, 02:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Your Fresh Water Tank

We sanitized and flushed our fresh water tank. Then filled it about 1/2 way. That was several weeks ago. Our RV has sat in the 100 degree weather for a few weeks and I am wondering about the quality of the water.

How do you handle your water in the heat of summer when you have to let it set for a time?

Old 07-19-2022, 03:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
We sanitized and flushed our fresh water tank. Then filled it about 1/2 way. That was several weeks ago. Our RV has sat in the 100 degree weather for a few weeks and I am wondering about the quality of the water.

How do you handle your water in the heat of summer when you have to let it set for a time?
I drain the tank
Old 07-19-2022, 03:23 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I drain my tank once a year and that is in the fall. I use my RV regularly, but often it will sit for a month or so between uses. I top it off and press on. I generally do not drink the water in the tank, it is for washing and toilets. What is used is usually boiled for tea, coffee or pasta. I have never had a problem.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Most of the time I don't worry about it if we are going to a W/E site. The water in the tank will only be used for toilet and washing along the way.

If I know we are going boondocking I'll drain and sanitize before filling for that trip.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:25 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I always drain the fresh tank when returning home from a trip. If it sits for several weeks before the next trip, I always flush it with diluted bleach, because even though "empty", there's likely bilge and nasties in the bottom that didn't drain completely.

I also drain/flush the waste tanks and "treat" the black tank. That way they're ready to roll with no prep needed.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Couple of ounces of peroxide works for me

If your tank sees light then drain when parking

Over a couple weeks down, then i drain and use peroxide when refilling for treatment of the heel

Water quality in the tank makes a huge difference

A lot of public water has significant TOC which is an issue for storage

If you're a prepper, distilled water is best
Old 07-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #7

THOR #24565
All this is helpful. We have decided to not drink from our storage if possible.
Thank you for sharing your solutions.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I drain my tank once a year and that is in the fall. I use my RV regularly, but often it will sit for a month or so between uses. I top it off and press on. I generally do not drink the water in the tank, it is for washing and toilets. What is used is usually boiled for tea, coffee or pasta. I have never had a problem.

Same here and never have issues. We don't drink it or cook with it. Always make sure you fill with chlorinated water from a known source...not well water. I never fill tank from unknown sources such as campgrounds that you don't know their water source. you can also add a tad of bleach to keep the chlorine balanced. If you can "see" your tank and it looks perfectly clear...you should be good.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
My water tank is in interior space and unit A/C always active set at 82. Every 3rd or 4th refill a few drops of chlorine with softened/filtered well water from our own well system. No issues in 6 years though we never use RV tank for anything other than washing, brushing, etc. Never really drink though is safe same as house. Do a full sanitization every 12 months.

Unit is always active in one form or other. If it sat for months, may do differently.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:18 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
We do the same. Add more before trips and all drinking tap water goes into the Berkie
Old 07-19-2022, 06:11 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Drain the tank and fill immediately prior to going to a electric only park.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #12

THOR #24565
Will keep ours dry until before trip prep then do a disinfect. Maybe we can get to the point that we don't have much down time between trips.

In this summer heat it sure seems that a bunch of "yuck" would try to grow in the water system.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Will keep ours dry until before trip prep then do a disinfect. Maybe we can get to the point that we don't have much down time between trips.

In this summer heat it sure seems that a bunch of "yuck" would try to grow in the water system.
This is a legitimate concern. Our tank is in interior under bed and easy to see. We keep unit powered and A/C set to keep interior dry. Unit still smells same as day we brought home. Many of the used units had musty old cellar smell from sitting. We also keep fridge active and have only defrosted twice in 6 years.

As stated above, if unit sat long periods or fresh water was not in conditioned space, would be different. Everything must be based on function/use. Our RV is kept ready fpr use at a moments notice. It also serves as a spare room when people visit.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:21 PM   #14

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Couple of ounces of peroxide works for me

If your tank sees light then drain when parking

Over a couple weeks down, then i drain and use peroxide when refilling for treatment of the heel

Water quality in the tank makes a huge difference

A lot of public water has significant TOC which is an issue for storage

If you're a prepper, distilled water is best
Sanitize RV Water Tank With Undiluted Hydrogen Peroxide
Slightly more effective than white vinegar is hydrogen peroxide. At room temperature it’s effective at killing E. Coli and Salmonella, but not Listeria. Heated to 130 degrees, it’s effective at killing all three.

Keep in mind, however, that the test was performed using undiluted hydrogen peroxide. Mixing it with water could potentially cause it to be far less effective.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Sanitize RV Water Tank With Undiluted Hydrogen Peroxide
Slightly more effective than white vinegar is hydrogen peroxide. At room temperature it’s effective at killing E. Coli and Salmonella, but not Listeria. Heated to 130 degrees, it’s effective at killing all three.

Keep in mind, however, that the test was performed using undiluted hydrogen peroxide. Mixing it with water could potentially cause it to be far less effective.
Define "undiluted hydrogen peroxide" as hydrogen peroxide may come in different strengths, or concentrations, depending on the intended use. Some common concentrations include:

3%, the typical concentration for household products
6–10%, the concentration in some hair dyes and teeth whitening products
35%, the concentration of food-grade hydrogen peroxide — which, despite its name, a person should never consume
up to 90%, the concentration in industrial products not intended for home use
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:15 AM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I too drain the tank after a trip. If I am not filling it with city water that has chlorine, I add chlorine with the water to keep the water safe to drink. I follow the EPA's Guidelines for Disinfection of Drinking Water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 6.13.56 AM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	38795  
Old 07-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I sanitize the tank and the water heater twice a year. Drain both after each trip. Refill with my well water. Wash and drink it. I grew up drinking water out of a garden hose. My well is probably cleaner than “purified” store bought water.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #18

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
City water uses one of two disinfectants depending on location - chlorine and/or chloramine. In a maintained city water system the water is safe to drink regardless of whether it uses chlorine or not due to the use of chloramine. City and county water reports are online and you can check to see what is used. Wells…a total different story. Flint??? Water system was not maintained.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...infection.html

My county uses a mix of both disinfectants and they flush the system twice a year with chlorine due to heavy use - we are in a high tourist traffic county where the water system gets stressed from April to September. As a result, I sanitize my FW tank twice a year and the let the tank ebb and flow with whatever water level I think I need. I do not drain it. If you are on a water system that uses chlorine only then the chlorine will off gas over time. In that case if you let the coach sit idle for 25-30 days it would be best to drain the tank down to less that a quarter and leave some water in it then refill when you get ready to go. Totally my opinion.

I also am the head brewer is a small brewery and we need to filter out both disinfectants using GAC filters and metabisulfate - if not then our beer runs the risk of tasting and smelling like a band-aid box. The filters we use are industrial size and are very similar to the Camco blue filters I use on my city water line. Both are very effective at removing the disinfectants and other nasties especially at the 3 gpm or lower flow rate. Given that I use a blue filter on my city water port when hooked up at a campground and have no issue with using the water. I do not use them to filter the FW when I fill the tank…I want the disinfectants in the tank to keep the water safe.

How’s that for TMI?
Old 07-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #19

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Chlorine and Chlorine donors are typically used for public water systems as a Disinfectant

Why, because Chlorine can easily be tested

A free Chlorine residual must be maintained

Both free and total Chlorine test are performed to monitor

Activated carbon removes Chlorine and you can chemically as noted

Most taste and odor filters remove Chlorine such as your inlet filter

Chlorine kills mb layer by layer not by penetration

Chlorine gasses off and doesn't persist in open systems or sunlight

Chlorine reduces to chloramines and many other compounds some not so good for ingestion

Ozone, hydrogen peroxide, Chlorine dioxide (most effective) ultra vilot and many other methods are utilized for killing mb and potable water

Ecoli or coliform bacteria is the primary reason for needing your Disinfectant of choice

Since cousin Eddy likes to use his black water flush hose on the potable bibs i do use my Chlorine spray prior to hooking up

ATP is a fast and accurate test if you are curious about your mb level in your domestic water

Anyone with a well should be testing annually for coliform bacteria also

Whites handbook of chlorination was written years ago and is still valid for you techies
Old 07-21-2022, 01:56 AM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Define "undiluted hydrogen peroxide" as hydrogen peroxide may come in different strengths, or concentrations, depending on the intended use. Some common concentrations include:

3%, the typical concentration for household products
6–10%, the concentration in some hair dyes and teeth whitening products
35%, the concentration of food-grade hydrogen peroxide — which, despite its name, a person should never consume
up to 90%, the concentration in industrial products not intended for home use
I'll see if I can find that RV website, I figure household