Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
T-Mobile

Does anyone have T-Mobile that have noticed better reception since the merger with sprint. I’m thinking of changing. Verizon and Att are really bad at my house but good on the road.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
We have been using T-mobile since we moved to San Antonio three years ago. Never had a problem in all our travels. The coverage is spotty if you get far from the Interstates. Sometimes, the signal is weak but good enough for a call. Our plan ($43 per month) does not include data, only voice and text.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
I concur though have had two bad experiences in 2 yrs on the road - Floyd, VA; completely cut off and McKinney COE in Acworth, GA was near useless.

If you do go this route, look into the Magenta plan. I'm grandfathered into the 55+ plan that's been replaced with Magent. Unlimited talk, text, data is one price.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/magenta
Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have a Verizon and a GSM phone

Many times the GSM has little or no signal out in the boon docks

If you need excellent reception all the time then unfortunately there is still just one choice
Old 04-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
We have been using T-mobile since we moved to San Antonio three years ago. Never had a problem in all our travels. The coverage is spotty if you get far from the Interstates. Sometimes, the signal is weak but good enough for a call. Our plan ($43 per month) does not include data, only voice and text.
Is that $43 for a single, no data line??
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Is that $43 for a single, no data line??
Nope - two phones, two phone numbers, same account with only voice and text, no data. We use a Zte mobley (ATT) hotspot for data.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
I concur with The Breeze's comments.

We have had the 55+ T-mobile plan for several years.
$60/month all included. Two lines, two phone numbers.
Unlimited talk, text and data and...unlimited free texts and (slow speed) data internationally! Very happy, especially when we travel abroad.

It's a great plan and I recently saw an ad on TV for similar. You may have to call them an ask for it.

From what I understand, Verizon probably has better coverage in the remote areas but it has not been enough of an issue for us to compel us to switch.

James
Old 04-17-2020, 04:35 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Does anyone have T-Mobile that have noticed better reception since the merger with sprint. I’m thinking of changing. Verizon and Att are really bad at my house but good on the road.
There really will not be a change for Sprint customers for a while. They just bought Sprint. There is an incredible amount of work to do to merge the two networks. It is not like throwing a switch.

They have announced that Sprint customers that have phones that are compatible with some of the T-Mobile bands, may be able to roam at some time soon.

I haev had a Verizon phone for work. Now it was moved to T-mobile. I have to say I am not impressed with the voice quality. At times there is a lot of latency and voice quality issues. This is while I have good signal. Their data seems to work fine though. I'm sticking with Verizon on my personal phone. It just always works.
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
My son is always switching cell service trying to find the cheapest with his last try was with T Mobile. He kept bragging to me what a good deal urging us to switch til he found he couldn't place/receive a call in his house, always had to go outside to use it. After a couple months he went back to Verizon again & has quit bargain hunting.
We've had Verizon for a very long time & while fulltimers had only 2 places across the country we weren't able to get a signal. It may be more pricey than others but if it always works it's worth it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:26 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I guess it depends on your angle. In Dallas area & we had AT&T Wireless since the beginning of wireless. Wireless service was good and no issues to us but yes they would drop, or not be available at times, But that has got to be true for ANYBODY? None of the carriers make the telecommunication equipment.

Our issue is that AT&T was too gimmicky, always changing something with our plan, increasing rates and playing games with new phones and/or data plans. We switched to T-Mobile about 7 years ago and our wireless life has been a breeze. We NEVER have to call T-Mobile about ANY issues with phone bill charges, or service. They don't care where we buy our phones, so none of our 5 lines have the inflated rates that is actually paying for phones that most people think they are getting free. With that said we tend to keep our phones longer, or until lost or damaged. When in RV at park with no free WiFi; we stream movies to our TV in when we don't wish to pay $5/day plus for WiFi. I am sure if u drive long enough, and far enough you will find a dead spot, but I don't know how you base your carrier on that alone? In most cases they share the equipment anyway when it is available.

Disclaimer: I have not used AT&T in 7 years. If their Customer Service has changed my apologies, but I would not go back to them if my current bill was cut in half, in few years; it would likely be double what I have now. My biggest fear now is what Sprint may mean to T-Mobile?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
The race for practical application of coverage may be over. The focus seems to have turned toward speed.

I was streaming an Xfinity channel over my T-Mobile connection. I launch Task Manager's Performance tab to watch the traffic.

I saw 29.3 Mbps. Subsequent calls degraded and went as low as 600 Kbps. The average over a 1hr program was 896 Kbps without a stutter.

I'll take it.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #12

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
Sprint and tmobile run on different sequences and use different technologies. T-Mobile has been upgrading a lot in the last couple of years.

We got a tmobile plan (ultra.mobile 50gb day / $49) to use with an old Android phone to use as a hotspot and it's worked really well.

Honestly thinking of moving all phones to it
Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #13

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
Sprint and tmobile run on different sequences and use different technologies. T-Mobile has been upgrading a lot in the last couple of years.
True. Sprint is CDMA, and T-Mobile is GSM. Different technologies entirely. All Apple devices now can use both technologies, I'm not sure about Android phones.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #14

THOR #3471
Unlocked phones can use both
Old 09-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Unlocked phones can use both
Whether a phone is unlocked or not has nothing to do with the technology it is capable of using. Unlocked just means it is not tied to a single provider. A locked AT&T phone means it can only be used on AT&T's plans, nobody else's.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #16

THOR #3471
Unlocked S8 s10. S20. Can be used with all that’s all I know I have all three and att and sprint sim cards
Old 09-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Unlocked S8 s10. S20. Can be used with all that’s all I know I have all three and att and sprint sim cards
And if you wanted to you could activate those phones on a Verizon plan with a Verizon SIM card IF they support the LTE bands (frequencies) that Verizon uses because those phones are unlocked. CDMA/GSM, etc is old technology and doesn't apply to anything 4G or higher, but different carriers use different bands for their 4G+ technology, so the phone still has to be compatible with the carrier's bands.

On the other hand, if you bought a "subsidized" phone from Verizon to use with a 2 year commitment plan, it is locked to the Verizon network and you could not activate it on another carrier's plan even if it supported their bands until Verizon agreed you had satisfied your commitment and unlocked your phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4G Bands.png
Views:	57
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	26188  
Old 09-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #18

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
CDMA/GSM, etc is old technology and doesn't apply to anything 4G or higher, but different carriers use different bands for their 4G+ technology, so the phone still has to be compatible with the carrier's bands.
Good to know. Thanks