Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2023, 03:54 AM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #29774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have been following this thread for some time. If I wanted to convert my 2021 Axis 24.1 to lithium batteries this is what I would do:

1. Install two SOK or Amperetime Group 31, 100 Ah lithium batteries under the entry step in place of the originals. Two G31s will just fit.

2. Upgrade the charger portion of the WFCO factory installed converter to a Progressive Dynamics 9180 ALV lithium specific charger. This will let you completely charge your lithium batteries at a faster rate to minimize genset running time.

3. Replace the Progressive Dynamics BIM 160 with the lithium specific BIM L 225. This will help limit charging current from your chassis alternator. Otherwise you might burn it out.

These three changes will cost $1,000 for the batteries and about $300 each for the charger and BIM.

You will then have a very robust battery system that can supply a full 200 amp hours before recharging.

If you camp in sunny areas and dry camp more than a week at a time then consider adding solar panels to the roof.

David
DavidEM

We have a Thor Axis 24.1 and we just got a 200ah Redodo LifePo4 for the house battery. You stated that you like the PD converter / charger. However, I cant put my finger on which one to buy. 9180 or 9160 because the battery manuf. lists a recommended charge of 40 amps. The BMS is 200a. Does this mean that the 80 amp is too much for the battery? You seem to be the expert. Also - is the PD install hard since it isnt straight swap? Thanks so much.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:46 AM   #82

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I think the Li charging limit is 40A per battery so with two batteries, an 80A charger would be just right.

PD I think makes two types of Li chargers. One has an AC plug and is the one I used. Just cut off the plug and wire to the AC terminals. The other wires go to the DC charging input. Both of these locations will be obvious when you remove the WFCO charger.

I think they also make one that is nearly identical to the WFCO and has bare wires for the AC input.

Mounting holes are in a different position but just requires drilling new screw holes.

Since I wrote this, Li prices have come down so check on Amazon and search for Will Prowse reviews to validate quality.

David
Old 05-29-2023, 02:19 PM   #83

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Another option is to go with a combination inverter/charger. The downside is they are much larger and would likely require moving batteries inside, or to a storage compartment.

One thing not discussed is any cable changes and fusing.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #84

THOR #29774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I think the Li charging limit is 40A per battery so with two batteries, an 80A charger would be just right.

PD I think makes two types of Li chargers. One has an AC plug and is the one I used. Just cut off the plug and wire to the AC terminals. The other wires go to the DC charging input. Both of these locations will be obvious when you remove the WFCO charger.

I think they also make one that is nearly identical to the WFCO and has bare wires for the AC input.

Mounting holes are in a different position but just requires drilling new screw holes.

Since I wrote this, Li prices have come down so check on Amazon and search for Will Prowse reviews to validate quality.

David
I am so confused. It appears that we DO NOT have a bird / trombetta or a BIM. We do appear to have a BCC (in the compartment under the driver side). If this is the case, what changes do I need to make to ensure compatibility with the Lifepo4 setup? I have seen so many variations on these forums (some have bcc, some have bird/trombetta, some have both?).
Old 05-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #85

THOR #20289
Just to be clear, the PD charger I recommended above replaces the existing WFCO charger in the lower compartment of the Power center. The wires provided on the PD charger are sized correctly.

But the wires from the converter to the batteries may be too small and the 50A breaker near the batteries is too small.

The wires should be at least #6 which is what Thor used on my Axis and the breaker should be upgraded to 80A, consistent with the maximum charging amps.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #86

THOR #20289
I just saw your last post as I finished typing the one above. I am familiar with the BIRD/Trombettaas it’s solenoid failure is often discussed on these forums and I have a BIM 160 on my 2021 Axis.

There is a third type that I don’t know much about that you might have.

David
Old 05-29-2023, 06:03 PM   #87

THOR #29774
Thanks so much
Old 05-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #88

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingpoppy View Post
I am so confused. It appears that we DO NOT have a bird / trombetta or a BIM. We do appear to have a BCC (in the compartment under the driver side). If this is the case, what changes do I need to make to ensure compatibility with the Lifepo4 setup? I have seen so many variations on these forums (some have bcc, some have bird/trombetta, some have both?).
I suggest contacting Technical Support at Precision Circuits at (630)-515-9100 EXT:2 or tech@precisioncircuitsinc.com to provide experienced quality advice in moving from a BCC to a BIM.
Coincidentally, they also have a BCC product which contains a BIM.

https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...ontrol-center/

Tags
axis, batteries, lithium ion, vegas