Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 AM   #1

State: Alabama
THOR #7276
Axxera AVM70

When we ordered our 2018 MSB Sprinter Chateau 24HL we specified that we wanted a stereo system that had the capability of dual mirroring our iPhones. We were told that the standard system, Axxera AVM70, being put into the 2018 models had that ability.

We received our coach three weeks ago, and yes the Axxera AVM70 does have dual mirroring capabilities, but only for an android device! However, when Thor built the coach they didn't make any of the connections for that feature to operate. Now the unit must be pulled out of the dash so that the cables can be added and after market USB and HDMI hookup ports will need to be placed somewhere on the dash.

Has anyone else had to do this? If so, where were you able to purchase the cables (DL5i) and where did you place the USB and HDMI ports?

Old 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I'm also interested in opinions on the phone mirror mode. Before I buy a fairly expensive cable, is google maps use able on a 800 by 480 resolution screen? Can you run google maps, Pandora, etc. from the touch screen or do you have to use the phone isteslf for control?

Thanks,
Pete
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #3

THOR #9522
I bought a DMH25 dongle. Works perfectly.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
I needed a wifi dongle to get my android phone to work with my 2018 Windsport. The headset does not control the phone it just mirrors the screen. Using the dongle Pandora does not run smoothly and keeps dropping out. I'm going to be switching out the Axerra for the same Pioneer unit we have in our Wrangler. It runs flawlessly and you control everything from the Pioneer.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

THOR #9522
As long as my S8 is blue toothed and dongled, the two way works with the Axxera.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I needed a wifi dongle to get my android phone to work with my 2018 Windsport. The headset does not control the phone it just mirrors the screen. Using the dongle Pandora does not run smoothly and keeps dropping out. I'm going to be switching out the Axerra for the same Pioneer unit we have in our Wrangler. It runs flawlessly and you control everything from the Pioneer.
I run a '16 Windsport 31S with the Axxera (radio/system) and really do not like the radio. We prefer to listen to "books" while driving and that system is not great. While listening to the disc or radio, it occasionally cuts out and of course, the rear view camera is not shown on the screen. Though it's not a problem, the Axxera controls are useless when the turn signal is on and the screen shows that side! Would the system you mentioned solve any of those deficiencies? I really want to change it to something that would.
Bruce W
USAF (Ret.)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #7
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSquared View Post
When we ordered our 2018 MSB Sprinter Chateau 24HL we specified that we wanted a stereo system that had the capability of dual mirroring our iPhones. We were told that the standard system, Axxera AVM70, being put into the 2018 models had that ability.

We received our coach three weeks ago, and yes the Axxera AVM70 does have dual mirroring capabilities, but only for an android device! However, when Thor built the coach they didn't make any of the connections for that feature to operate. Now the unit must be pulled out of the dash so that the cables can be added and after market USB and HDMI hookup ports will need to be placed somewhere on the dash.

Has anyone else had to do this? If so, where were you able to purchase the cables (DL5i) and where did you place the USB and HDMI ports?
My 2018 Windsport came with the same radio mirrors my IPhone no problem. Also did a 7 hr. trip and played Pandora with bluetooth without any issues.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #8

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
We just purchased a Freedom Elite 24HE and it has the rear HDMI and USB ports brought out to the dash. That USB is for charging. It turns out that the AVM70 has a USB port on the head unit itself under a rubber cover below the on/off button. That USB does I/O. I have yet to get mirroring to work with my iPhone. I get a bunch of distorted lines on part of the screen. The dealer has had to replace the head unit once already. I don’t have a great deal of confidence in Axxera products.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:37 AM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSquared View Post

Mine came with AVM70 and had all the hookups. Touch screen died and they replaced with better unit. Neither would work on mirroring with cables. Bought Wifi dongle and it works great. My iPhone screen shows up on screen.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #10

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
I'm also interested in opinions on the phone mirror mode. Before I buy a fairly expensive cable, is google maps use able on a 800 by 480 resolution screen? Can you run google maps, Pandora, etc. from the touch screen or do you have to use the phone isteslf for control?

Thanks,
Pete

By Wi-Fi dongle. Cable would never work good.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:39 AM   #11

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
We just purchased a Freedom Elite 24HE and it has the rear HDMI and USB ports brought out to the dash. That USB is for charging. It turns out that the AVM70 has a USB port on the head unit itself under a rubber cover below the on/off button. That USB does I/O. I have yet to get mirroring to work with my iPhone. I get a bunch of distorted lines on part of the screen. The dealer has had to replace the head unit once already. I don’t have a great deal of confidence in Axxera products.

Wi-Fi dongle works great
Old 12-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #12

THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Wi-Fi dongle works great
Hi... Could you please elaborate on a wifi dongle? What it does for the radio?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #13

THOR #8264
A wifi dongle let's you mirror the screen on your phone or tablet on your radio. For example if your using Google maps on your phone it will show up on your radio or if your streaming Pandora it will play through your radio.Some phones are compatible with your radio without a dongle but my Samsung android was not, thus the use of the dongle.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:43 AM   #14

THOR #9522
The DMH25 works ggreat.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 12-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #15

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
The DMH25 works ggreat.

I second that
Old 12-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #16

THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
A wifi dongle let's you mirror the screen on your phone or tablet on your radio. For example if your using Google maps on your phone it will show up on your radio or if your streaming Pandora it will play through your radio.Some phones are compatible with your radio without a dongle but my Samsung android was not, thus the use of the dongle.
Thanks! I suppose it would be nice to be wireless to mirror my iPhone. I'm afraid that if my radio won't mirror properly with the cable that it won't work with the dongle plugged into the hdmi port, either. I'm going to try and get the radio out with a couple of putty knives, as the Thor tech suggested to see if the cable on the back isn't attached properly.

Pete
Old 12-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #17

THOR #8264
I can't speak for an iPhone but on an Android you have to enable mirroring on the pull down screen. Apple may have something similar.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
In order to use an iPhone for mirroring, you will need one of these: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...apter?fnode=97
along with your Lightning cable for power and an HDMI cable for the video and audio. These will plug into the ports that are on the dash.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 AM   #19

THOR #10225
I've been unable to get the apple adapter to work with the HDMI port on the dash. I purchased the wireless DMH25 and it works just fine. Very strange. Thanks for the help!

Pete
Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #20

THOR #8813
Quote:
I've been unable to get the apple adapter to work with the HDMI port on the dash. I purchased the wireless DMH25 and it works just fine. Very strange. Thanks for the help!

Pete

Same here