Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Axxera radio and iPhone “mirroring”

I read that you can “mirror” your iDevice to the screen of the Axxera radio. not via Bluetooth but via USB. I tried connecting my iPhone to what I believe is the USB port on the dash but the radio screen kept saying that no device was found.

Do I need a special USB cable?

I’d love to mirror my phone’s gps to the radio. It would make it much easier to see and one less thing to clutter the dash.

Has anyone done this?

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you search the forum there was some considerable traffic about iPhone mirroring a few years ago. The mirroring may have to go through the HDMI and not the USB.

Here is the link to one of the threads

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...dash-2776.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
When I first got our coach and saw the HDMI on the dash and USB port I researched and found out about the mirroring capability through the HDMI port. I setup my Android phone to do that for the same reason; GPS.

Unfortunately, when they say mirror, they mean mirror: all it did was mirror my phone screen on the display in the exact same size and format - so it was just like looking at your phone except now the phone was way over in the middle of the dash.

Worthless in my opinion.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
When I first got our coach and saw the HDMI on the dash and USB port I researched and found out about the mirroring capability through the HDMI port. I setup my Android phone to do that for the same reason; GPS.

Unfortunately, when they say mirror, they mean mirror: all it did was mirror my phone screen on the display in the exact same size and format - so it was just like looking at your phone except now the phone was way over in the middle of the dash.

Worthless in my opinion.
That was basically the same conclusion I came to. Lousy quality display image and too small to be of use. I bought an RV configurable GPS to mount on the dash rather than use the phone.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I used to do it, there a usb / HDMI with lightning connector for the iPhone. The idea is the usb charges the iPhone while it mirrors to the device thru the HDMI. Apple took that ability away when they promoted their Apple TV. The idea of you want to mirror you have to buy Apple TV.
Recently tho newer smart TVs have Apple home kit built in for mirroring. That won’t help you with your dash unit tho.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:04 AM   #6

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
I’ve got a small phone cradle that charges the phone. I guess I’ll just mount it in front of the Axxera and continue to use the phone as my GPS. I can also Bluetooth music while driving.

Much less complex and nothing new to buy!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
I bought the following cable on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1) HDMI plugs in the dash HDMI port (connected to the Axerra)
2) Plug in the USB end to a power source
3) Plug the lightning connector into the iPhone.
Tap the Axerra screen at various prompts.

It works great, I just keep the iPhone in landscape mode, so the image fills the screen. I like it for following directions in the city without having to look at the phone. Axerra is more at eye level.

When you shut off the ignition, you have to disconnect everything and start over.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 AM   #8

THOR #20247
I have a brand new 2020 Thor A.C.E. But it appears the the Axxera radio is missing some ports I.e. USB, A/V, and HDMI. There is nowhere to activate my IPhone X for mirroring. What do I need to do?
Old 08-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #9

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
After one trip I ordered a new head unit. I don’t want to figure anything out with that acera
Old 08-14-2023, 02:26 PM   #10

Model: Quantum LC26
State: California
THOR #30278
Axxera AVM700Ui help usb mirror

We have Axxera AVM700Ui in our Thor Quantum 2022 LC26 and it does not have an HDMI port.

I’ve put in the usb to iPhone and got usb mirroring “waiting for connection” and it never connects. It has a picture of a scan which I downloaded called “drongscreen.ask” and it shows a code S361TC8HV031.

The manual has no mention of usb mirroring, it will say in other areas to download “dual mirror app” and there is no app in apple store, I’ve downloaded Axxera iPlug app for the remote, and called the phone customer service and it rings then goes silent.

I just want to mirror my apple map directions on the screen!
Old 08-14-2023, 02:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedd View Post
We have Axxera AVM700Ui in our Thor Quantum 2022 LC26 and it does not have an HDMI port.

I’ve put in the usb to iPhone and got usb mirroring “waiting for connection” and it never connects. It has a picture of a scan which I downloaded called “drongscreen.ask” and it shows a code S361TC8HV031.

The manual has no mention of usb mirroring, it will say in other areas to download “dual mirror app” and there is no app in apple store, I’ve downloaded Axxera iPlug app for the remote, and called the phone customer service and it rings then goes silent.

Mirroring is not the map solution you are looking for.
Mirroring is like putting your phone screen on the radio screen - no larger but maybe at a lower resolution.

Carplay is better but your radio probably doesn't support that.
Spend your money on an RV GPS device.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:26 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedd View Post

Don’t waste your time. From experience mirroring an iPhone on an Axxerra sucks and the mirrored image is so poor you will have to be within 3 inches of the screen to see anything worth while.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I read that you can “mirror” your iDevice to the screen of the Axxera radio. not via Bluetooth but via USB. I tried connecting my iPhone to what I believe is the USB port on the dash but the radio screen kept saying that no device was found.

Do I need a special USB cable?

I’d love to mirror my phone’s gps to the radio. It would make it much easier to see and one less thing to clutter the dash.

Has anyone done this?
When I purchased my 2018 ACE, I was excited that the AxxERA AVM70LH radio could mirror the phone. Then reality set in. First you need a USB to HDMI connector, ok I got that. Then you need an app on the phone to allow the phone to mirror to the radio. That is where the whole thing fell apart. It turns out that Samsung dropped the HDMI mirroring capability on newer models so I cannot mirror my phone to the radio. My current phone is an S21 ultra that I have had for three years. I still have a Galaxy S5 that can mirror but it is not connected to a provider any longer. Even if I could have gotten the mirroring to work, I doubt I would have been able to use it simply because the radio screen was impossible to see during the day. I have since replaced the radio with a Kenwood radio that has navigational features that support large vehicles. The new radio is visible during the day, even in bright sunlight. The Kenwood supports Android Auto and Apple car play as well however I do not think I will use those features simply because Google maps does not take vehicle weight and clearance into account for routing and those phone apps do account for weight and clearance are not Android auto enabled.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #14

THOR #20247
Mirroring with Axxera Radio

The manual did not match the radio in the RV. It was totally frustrating trying to get mirroring to work. The dealership had no idea of what I was talking about. The factory folks said that we had the wrong manual but they could not send me the correct manual. So I asked for a new radio. The warranty ran out during this fray. They said I could purchase a newer model at my expense and have it installed at my expense. I just gave up on this issue. I updated the navigation card thinking it would help with navigation issues, but the new card maps were inaccurate. I just use the map on my new iPhone. At least the music works with blue tooth.