Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
Towing Braking Systems

I am considering getting a brake assist system to add on my tow vehicle, jeep compass. I'm towing it with a 2008, 36ft gas motorhome, f53 chassis.
Does anyone have experience with these systems and any recommendations?

Sent from my Life One X2 using Thor RV Forum mobile app

Old 06-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Texas
THOR #10995
We just started towing in May and purchased the Blue Ox Patirot II unit.
No issues thus far, easy set up and works just fine.

That said we are towing a 2013 Honda Fit behind a 30' Class C Ford E450 chassis, so the braking system is being taxed very much at all... For us it was just another layer of safety (and as you know, some states require the supplemental braking system).

There are many very dependable systems out there- the Blue Ox worked best for us due to the shape of the floor pan- it doesn't hit the seat adjuster and accidentally/inadvertently move the seat ( which disables the braking system).

Keith
Old 06-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
Thanks Bulldog.
Is this a potable system or permanently installed system and if I may ask, how much was it in total?

Sent from my Life One X2 using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I have used a U.S. Gear system for the past 13 years or so. Its permanently installed in both the MH and the toad, just plug in the umbilical from the MH to the toad and its activated. All proportional braking, and braking pressure is adjustable from the MH dash. It was fairly expensive 13 years ago, probably more today. I had the system transferred from my former DP to the Gemini when we bought it.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Texas
THOR #10995
Towing Brake Systems

The Blue Ox Patriot II is a portable system and I paid $1470 for it through PPL Motorhomes in Texas. The braking force is adjustable in the coach via a small control pad that sits on the dashboard .
There are numerous You Tube videos for the Blue Ox and many other portable and permanent braking systems. All about personal choice in the end...
Keith
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
We just finished a 2500 mile trip using the Ready Brake Elite tow bar. Worked great, 5 minute hookup, purely mechanical with no electronics to fail.readybrake.com
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We use the Roadmaster Falcon II and the Invsi-brake system. Just pulled our Jeep Liberty down through Kentucky and Tennassee with no issues. Pulls great and the braking system is super simple, plug in the electrical cable for lights and brakes and you're done. Costs a bit more but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I use the Brake Buddy Classic. I like the portability and quick install. I can easily move it to another vehicle should the need arise. I tow a Jeep Wrangler. The cost was around $1,000.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Like Laco, we have used a US Gear braking system for over ten years, permanently installed in our towed car and motorhome. Have moved it from our previous coach and our previous towed car. I did the initial install myself.

For us, we don't need to switch between cars, so it is nice to avoid having to store a portable brake unit when not in use. After the tow bars are connected, the brakes plug in with a cable like the lights.