Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini TX
State: Ontario
THOR #13247
Backup Camera - No Signal Flickering Issues

Thor Gemini 2018 TX - 2 Slides (Rear and Side)
2016 Mercedes Chassis
Front Cab Radio/ Camera is stock Axxera

ISSUE:

Backup Camera is now flaky.

Hit a bump it goes off to a NO SIGNAL then pops back on.

Signal or clarity with any jolt of the coach causes the signal to either weaken or improve.

Has any others found this backup camera located ont he back slide to
have a loose connection at either the camera end or at the Axxera end or anywhere in between ?

Thank you

Old 10-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Sounds to me like a loose connection, probably on the radio end. You probably will need to pull the radio from the dash to check and tighten all the connections. Pulling the radio is pretty simple - see the illustration below. If your bag of owner manuals doesn't contain the two tools shown, I understand two thin butter knives serve the same purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axxera radio 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	20836  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwood View Post
Thor Gemini 2018 TX - 2 Slides (Rear and Side)
2016 Mercedes Chassis
Front Cab Radio/ Camera is stock Axxera

ISSUE:

Backup Camera is now flaky.

Hit a bump it goes off to a NO SIGNAL then pops back on.

Signal or clarity with any jolt of the coach causes the signal to either weaken or improve.

Has any others found this backup camera located ont he back slide to
have a loose connection at either the camera end or at the Axxera end or anywhere in between ?

Thank you
I had the same issue in our 29.3 ACE. Eventually my dealer along with Thor found that the power source they were using for the switcher was faulty. They were getting power from the radio. They moved it to another source and things cleared up/ Actually, it made the picture better too. I always had some noise in the video. Then realized that I could see a bar go thru the video on bass notes on music. The power source they used from the radio just was not up to snuff. Looks like a poor design from the radio that it caused that issue. Sounds like a common issue, but I don't hear of anyone else resolving it this way. At times the cameras were unusable.
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:33 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
My Citation Sprinter has a "switcher box" that all the cameras connect to. The switcher has one output that goes to the Axxera unit. The turn signal, backup send signals to the box so it sends the correct camera signal to the display. Mine was acting strange, intermittently I was getting "No Signal". I found the ground wire on the wiring harness to the "Switcher" was hanging on by a thread of wire and broke when I pulled it out of the dash. Since the power to each camera goes through the switcher, the bad ground was the cause of failure.

The company that made the Switcher is: Rear View Safety. https://www.rearviewsafety.com

A new harness was only a few bucks. Be sure to have the correct model number, if you call for parts. First time, they sent me a 5-wire harness, instead of a 6-wire harness.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Unfortunately my issue is at the camera end. They're ordering a new wire and will have to rerun the whole thing.