Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
The screen does not interfere with my view through the windshield. The actual screen size is only a bit larger than the one in the dash.
Attachment 19348
It’s the location of the added screen is what makes it more useful.
In addition, my height (6’3”) places the added screen so it may block my view of the top of the dash but not outside.

Of course it interferes with your view... maybe not ALL of it, but it would be illegal in Manitoba, Canada. I was asked, politely, to move my GPS once.

Obstruction of view
182(4) Except as permitted under the regulations, no person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway while anything other than a standard rear view mirror or sun visor
(a) obstructs the view from the front windshield; or
(b) obstructs the view from the side windows...

Stay cool

Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
On mine you press the camera button once for rear camera view

It will change when you activate the turn signals
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
My backup camera works fine. Even with open racecar trailer it simplifies backing up. I do need to use my glasses to see corners.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
You mentioned the GARMIN RV760 GDS, that is what we have and we jumpered the backup and side camera feeds from the VEGAS into it. That way I have the view where I need it and the passenger can still view the camera on the radio screen. Plus, the 760 has LINES to help judge the distance from foreign inanimate objects!
Old 09-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #25

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
wow, I'm surprised at how for up your cam is angled and how wide it's field of view is. I have mine angled more down, so the bottom edge is just inches above the bumper. I found no utility at all with mine when it was angled up high like that...

and I agree about it's usefullness. I don't tow a toad, but similarly I use mine to keep an eye on the bike rack.
The only other significant thing I use it for is when I'm trying to back right up to a wall or something. When it's at the bottom of the screen it's inches from the bumper

I almost never ask DW or a kid to stand watch. 99% of the time it either doesn't help or adds confusion. I learned how to use the mirrors and how to back a trailer very well years ago. This isn't a trailer, but the mirror usage is just the same really.... so my wife learned a long time ago that when she asked what she can do to help.... it's to keep the kids safe and out of the blind spots while I'm backing in...well it was when they were younger anyway.