Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Quebec
THOR #7755
Help wriring batteries, 2012 Thor Coach Serrano 34M

My stepfather owned a 2012 Thor Coach Serrano 34M. Unfortunately, he passed away last winter. The RV had been stored for the winter and the batteries disconnected and removed. In Quebec, winters are very cold.
He didn’t leave the wiring diagram of the vehicle's 12V batteries and the 2 auxiliary 6-volt batteries. We found a picture only of auxiliary batteries, but the picture is of poor quality, so it’s difficult to see the connection of all the batteries. Judging the size of the cables, I located the majority of the connections, the large cables, these connect in parallel the two batteries 12 V for the vehicle call the batteries of chassis. The smaller cables connect the other two 6V batteries in series, call them the auxiliary batteries. After connecting these, I have a smaller cable than the one on the 12 V batteries in parallel, it seems essential to supply the 12V when I turn the ignition key, without this cable, I turn the key on and nothing happens in the dashboard and the engine doesn’t start. This cable seems to bring the 12V to the car section of the VR so according to my logic, I plugged this cable with the big cable on the 2 batteries already in parallel of the automobile. So in addition to the large cable that connect in parallel the two positive terminals of the 12v batteries, I added this cable that brings the 12 V when I turn the ignition key. My auxiliary batteries are connected in series and seem to be completely independent. However, in the picture of the connection that my stepfather had taken, we see a cable that comes to take the voltage between the two batteries connected in series, then this cable is powered at 6V.I’m wondering about the utility and is this the right hookup?

I did tests, when the engine is started the 12V batteries of the car are recharged at 13.6V and the auxiliary batteries receive about 13.3V. I have substantially the same voltage readings when the engine is stopped and the VR is connected to the main by a 30 amp cable. Even when connected to the mains, the 2 sets of batteries are recharged. On the 3 questions I'm concerned about, is it good to plug in the smallest cable that is used to power the vehicle's dashboard on the chassis’s batteries? What is the use of the cable between the 2 batteries in series which gives 6V to the RV? Are my connections correct?

I would greatly appreciate your help. If you can send me comments, pictures or a diagram of your batteries.
Thank you

Old 06-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Quebec
THOR #7755
Help *wiring batteries, 2012 Thor Coach Serrano 34M

Sorry
Help *wiring batteries, 2012 Thor Coach Serrano 34M