Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1756
Battery Amp Hours - Tuscany

Anyone have any idea on the amp hours of the 4 6v batteries installed in a 2016 Tuscany XTE 34ST. There are no labels on the batteries

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-18 11.04.52.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	4207

Old 05-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 38sq
THOR #4598
I have the same coach as you but I can't answer your question. I have often wondered what the Amp Hour Rating is on these batteries. Maybe, call Thor? Not sure I would be comfortable asking a dealer based on previous experiences with their competence. I'll try to keep an eye out here, maybe someone has better advice.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

THOR #1756
Thanks Sundance! I finally got a reply to my email from Thor stating they are 100amp hr each. I'm sure they are cheap batteries too, but in the meantime they are doing their jobs!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:18 AM   #4

THOR #4598
From everything I've read on this and other forums Thor uses Harris batteries almost exclusively. As far as I know it is next to if not impossible to find any identifying labels on these batteries. Consensus seems to be that these batteries are at the bottom of the heap but as you said, as long as they work.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:19 AM   #5

THOR #4598
Another point, very important, keep the terminals clean and the batteries serviced at all times.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
If you have 4 6v Harris batteries, you have about 100 amp hours total. With your residential refrigerator plus other parasitic devices, you have about 12 hours of battery before you need to charge... that is if the batteries are performing well. In my experience, the Harris batteries were not well maintained from manufacturing to installation so you can count on about 8 depending on whatever else you use, or lights tv etc.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
If you have 4 6v Harris batteries, you have about 100 amp hours total. With your residential refrigerator plus other parasitic devices, you have about 12 hours of battery before you need to charge... that is if the batteries are performing well. In my experience, the Harris batteries were not well maintained from manufacturing to installation so you can count on about 8 depending on whatever else you use, or lights tv etc.
I think your right, most of the problem with the batteries is the way they were treated before they were installed in a coach and it was sold. I've been told they are stored in damp areas, allowed to completely discharge, charge up, discharge again and again, which is basically mistreating a battery, and insuring early failure.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:02 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUJEEPN View Post
Thanks Sundance! I finally got a reply to my email from Thor stating they are 100amp hr each. I'm sure they are cheap batteries too, but in the meantime they are doing their jobs!
That seems rather low for typical 6-Volt deep-cycle batteries used on RVs. Most are in the +/- 200 Ah range, and the one pictured in OP doesn't look that small by comparison. I hate to question the data, but something doesn't seem right. Or maybe the picture is just an optical illusion.

Tags
amps, batteries, tuscany