Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Battery Experiment

I was worried that I have the dreaded Harris batteries in my coach (no label), so I ran a little test: Turned the use/store button to store and turned on my invertor with no load. The manual states that it draws 0.85 amps. Then I measured the voltage over the last 9 days. Seems like my batteries are fine (at least 185 amp-hour capacity with a slow draw). But the voltage to capacity graph is interesting. The voltage will drop very fast in the beginning, then hold steady at the lower voltages. So if my batteries are only reading 12.3 volts, I still have a lot of capacity left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2746  

Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
For many batteries 12.4 volts is 50% discharged.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:43 AM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I was worried that I have the dreaded Harris batteries in my coach (no label), so I ran a little test: Turned the use/store button to store and turned on my invertor with no load. The manual states that it draws 0.85 amps. Then I measured the voltage over the last 9 days. Seems like my batteries are fine (at least 185 amp-hour capacity with a slow draw). But the voltage to capacity graph is interesting. The voltage will drop very fast in the beginning, then hold steady at the lower voltages. So if my batteries are only reading 12.3 volts, I still have a lot of capacity left.
First your 20 aH rating is closer to 60 amps not 185. At 12.3 v you are at 50% or so of capacity, the dreaded Harris battery. These are not true deep cycle batteries. I replaced mine immediately with two Trojan 3 v a true 20 hour rated 360 aH battery.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:17 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I made my replacement batteries part of the deal when I bough my motorhome. Best thing I did. When the salesmen showed us the coach in the beginning, nothing worked, and he tired to tell us it will be OK when they charge it up. I already new about the batteries.