Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Low voltage error code on inverter

We have a 2016 Hurricane 34F.

Today, after a 6 hour trip, I tried lowering the leveling jacks but kept getting a low voltage error. The Xantrex XM1000 panel flashes an error code "E02" for a low input voltage and 11.8V.

I though the coach batteries had been drained, so we found an auto parts store and I bought a battery charger. Before connecting it, I disconnected all wires and checked them with no loads. They each gave about 12.95V+.

I reset the breaker to the inverter but no luck. We are now on shore power with 50A. I still have the error code and an 11.8V reading.

Any ideas as to my problem are welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If both the leveling panel AND the Inverter indicate "low voltage" and the batteries are good as you indicated than there must be a connection issue. Does the level control panel indicate "low voltage" with the engine running? Because the engine is supposed to be running and the low voltage threshold for the levelers is in the mid 13 VDC as I recall.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #3

THOR #8223
Well,when we arrived, both the leveling control panel and inverter showed low voltage (with engine running). By the time we got back from the auto parts store and brought our Burger Thing dinner back (less than an hour), I fired up the engine (and had shore power) and it worked. There was no low voltage indicator on the leveling control panel. But, the error is still on the inverter. 😠
Old 06-13-2019, 12:39 AM   #4

THOR #8223
After reading the manual, I turned the inverter off (as we’re on shore power) to see if something resets or charges.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

THOR #8223
Reading the manual, I followed the instructions to clear the error code. I turned off the inverter (I let it go overnight), then today I disconnected the shore power (for a count of 10) then turned it on. The code cleared and I show 13.5 volts. Oh well, it’s working.

Maybe my two-person thread here will help someone who runs into this issue. :-)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You can also remove the power cable from the inverter for 5 seconds with the inverter off. That will reset the inverter even from a hard error (control panel lockout).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:27 AM   #7

THOR #8223
Thanks for the tip. I’ve copied and pasted it into my "lessons learned" notes!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #15501
I'll Make it a 3 Person Thread...

Not trying to hijack...I have a new Ace 29.3 with an error code of E03. Do you mean to tell me that I can "hard reset" the inverter and possibly clear the code? I am ready to take it to the dealer and have them troubleshoot but they will most likely keep it for a month. Thanks, Robert
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
FYI: the levelers have nothing to do with the INVERTER, but get their power from the same place: the HOUSE battery bank, which was apparently VERY low, to the point that both your 12v Leveling system would not work, and your INVERTER cut off due to 'low battery power', which it is designed to do.

When the HOUSE battery bank levels get back into a certain 'good' range, the Levelers should work just fine, and the INVERTER will reset itself, which is probably what happened overnight when you were plugged into shore power, allowing your system to recharge the House battery bank. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a point of confusion for the Leveling system is that it's interior Control panel gets it's power from the CHASSIS batteries, yet the legs themselves, a hydraulic controlled system, gets it's power from the HOUSE batteries : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #11

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by machyoung View Post
Not trying to hijack...I have a new Ace 29.3 with an error code of E03. Do you mean to tell me that I can "hard reset" the inverter and possibly clear the code? I am ready to take it to the dealer and have them troubleshoot but they will most likely keep it for a month. Thanks, Robert
E-03 error is an AC output overload error while inverting. In this condition, the inverter will not respond to the remote control panel. You must first remover all AC loads from the inverter output, trip the AC 15 amp circuit breaker in the power center that goes to the inverter (or unplug from shore and generator power) and remove the DC input power to the inverter. Usually there is a fuse or circuit breaker in the house battery compartment that isolates the inverter. It is always the hardest to find. Now you should wait approximately 24 hours for the inverter to reset.

It is the 24 hour wait that I can't stand, so after removing the AC power and loads but leaving the DC power ON - very carefully remove the power wire (red +) for about five seconds from the inverter. Be very careful as you have 200 amps on the tip of the wire and it will weld itself to any ground. Any metal (socket or wrench) can arc to ground when loosen or tightening the nut. Never touch the wire to anything but the lug on the inverter. When reconnecting there is no arc or power flow as the inverter always starts in the OFF position. It is dangerous? - not really if you wear gloves to prevent burns (if you make a mistake) and wear safety glasses. The only risk is welding the + lead to something, tripping the circuit breaker and scaring yourself beyond belief.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM   #12

THOR #15501
Thanks Beau for the recommendation. The one thing that I will say is that there is absolutely no ac load at present. I have the inverter off. As soon as I plug into shore power or fire up the gen, it starts beeping (alarm) and displaying the error code. I cannot get it to shut up w/o powering down the gen (if on), or unplugging from shore power.

Should I still try the reset?
Old 06-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by machyoung View Post
Thanks Beau for the recommendation. The one thing that I will say is that there is absolutely no ac load at present. I have the inverter off. As soon as I plug into shore power or fire up the gen, it starts beeping (alarm) and displaying the error code. I cannot get it to shut up w/o powering down the gen (if on), or unplugging from shore power.

Should I still try the reset?
I gave you the factory way of resetting the unit. Remember all power AC and DC must be removed from the inverter for approximately 24 hours to reset the computer in the inverter. That way the computer assumes it is in the shipping box and ready for a new installation. It takes a while for the capacitors to discharge completely. Make sure you isolate the DC (battery) from the inverter.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #14

THOR #15501
Got it. I am not home till Friday, however I will remove the power from the dc side as well as the power from the ac side and let it sit for 24 hours. I'll report back and let everyone know...
Old 06-26-2019, 02:17 AM   #15

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
a point of confusion for the Leveling system is that it's interior Control panel gets it's power from the CHASSIS batteries, yet the legs themselves, a hydraulic controlled system, gets it's power from the HOUSE batteries : )

I think you nailed it! Your two replies describe my situation exactly! Thanks for the clear explanation!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #16

THOR #15501
Reset Results

Got home yesterday afternoon and contacted Xantrex support. Spoke w/ a tech who had me run some quick diagnostics with a vom. His first suggestion was to disconnect DC power for 30 minutes and then recheck. Completed however no difference. Called back and spoke with a different tech who advised me to remove both DC and AC power, leave completely off overnight and then only/initially reconnect w/ DC power (thus ruling-out the AC side). Completed and still no luck. They are closed today so will have to wait till next week Ugh!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Had the same issue with mine. Was a loose connection between the inverter and batteries under this cover by the batteries.
I've found when I have problems, call the manufacturer of the item you're having problems with.
Called thor on mine, and told me to take it to a dealer.
Called the people who made the inverter, walked me through it, and found the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_164434.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	18577  
Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #18

THOR #15501
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj73 View Post
Had the same issue with mine. Was a loose connection between the inverter and batteries under this cover by the batteries.
I've found when I have problems, call the manufacturer of the item you're having problems with.
Called thor on mine, and told me to take it to a dealer.
Called the people who made the inverter, walked me through it, and found the problem.
Yep, checked all wiring that I can get at. All seems tight. I'm almost certain that is a bad inverter.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #19

THOR #15501
Update

Spoke to Xantrex and they state that it does appear to be a bad inverter. Off to the service department this am. Reviewed the history real quick w/ the service rep and he says that "these inverters are typically bad" and he will change it out and have the coach back to me in a few days.

Stand by!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #20

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I just upgraded the Xantrex Pro XM 1000 on my 2018 Outlaw 29H and learned a lot in the process.

First and foremost.... Thor does not seem to follow Xantrex's recommendation for the proper installation of their Inverters. If they are not installed properly, they can kick out error conditions depending on how the Inverter is being used..... and it isn't necessarily the Inverter's fault.

Here is what I learned after a thorough investigation of my Outlaw when doing the upgrade.

1) Xantrex recommends that the cable run between the batteries and the Inverter are not more than 5 feet.

- On my rig Thor placed in the Inverter in the rear drivers side outer storage compartment when the batteries are under the steps behind the passenger seat. I estimate the cable run for my Inverter is at least 20 - 25 feet, which is 5x the recommendation.

2) Xantrex recommends that the positive and negative cable be run directly to the battery posts.

- On my rig Thor ran the positive cable to the battery but they ran an 18" cable for the negative and grounded it to the chassis and not to the negative terminal on the battery, which is not recommended.

3) Xantrex recommends 2 AWG cables for the 1000W Inverters and 2/0 AWG cables for the 1800W / 2000W Inverters.

- Given the length of cable run on my rig, Thor should have been using 3/0 or 4/0 AWG and they used 2 AWG.

4) Xantrex recommends that a subpanel with its own breaker be used for the AC output when hardwiring the Inverter.

- On my rig Thor pulled the Inverter's built-in GFCI outlet and wired the AC output to it and is using the Inverter's built-in breaker that was for the GFCI outlet. They cut the cost and work involved with adding the subpanel and breaker.

Given all of this... I'm surprised I never had any error codes. But then again I did not use the Inverter very much and it was under very little load.

Given the installation on my rig, I can guarantee there would be serious voltage drops that could trip error messages.... but that would not be the fault of the Inverter.